What's new
What's new

Dean Smith and Grace 13x42 lathe

DaveWork

Plastic
Hi everyone. I'm brand new here and also haven't touched a lathe since highschool! That being said, I have just bought a DSG 13x42 lathe and would like to know any info that people may be able to offer about it, age etc. I have done a little research and read that they are quite a well built and heavy lathe, this one sits in at 3.2T. I have attached a photo of it for reference.

It will be used mainly as a hobby but I am also after info on what sort of tooling people would recommend as well as indicators etc etc.

Cheers,

Dave.

DSCN0194.jpg

You may have more response posting in the big DSG thread, including a welcome from Her Majesty.
From your photos it looks like a machine from 1953-57 vintage, main differences being the fastlock spindle was replaced by a D1-6 in 1954 and a few changes to taper attachments etc.
PM me if you need a manual but it's all very conventional.

Dave,
As mentioned there is a big thread on DSG lathes that I started quite a few years ago and it is still rolling along.
Lot's of info in there if you have a spare evening or two. Looks like you have a hybrid machine, it has the motor sticking out the left side but has the newer quick change threading gearbox, not sure what spindle mount you have. In the next version they put the motor below the headstock. Looks like you have some decent accessories and a bit of cleaning to do then make some chips!

Welcome to the club, a letter from the Queen is on its way.

Michael

Back