Dean Smith Grace Lathe Owners - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default DSG steadies

Just a mention for those in the UK - I have a spare fixed steady for a 13" DSG (older models), I'm looking for the same for my 17". I've adapted a TOS steady to fit, but it would be nice to have the proper thing.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Appologies to all who suggested the shaft was part of a quick threading device, I'm sure you're right, it's in a bit of a vulnerable position though.
    Just looking through a brochure I've just obtained from a company I've dealt with in the past- West Point Machine Tools . They've got two lovely DSG's for sale , one ex university for under £ 8,000. They've also got an "Edgewick" that must be 40 yrs old but looks like it just came out of the crate, ex- university again for £1,500 ! One or two for Milacron- " Weiler" toolroom lathe at £1,950 and a " Hardinge " HL-V for £2,750 plus a " Myford" HA Cylindrical grinder with drop down internal for £2,950, all in super condition. The brochure is choc full of bargains.
    Site is at www. west-point.co.uk , read it and weep if you live in the U.S. Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey, good to hear from everybody, I have been away for a few days.
    Somebody is going to get a good deal from Nova Scotia!!
    It's late and I will respond better tomorrow.
    Thanks
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dharnell View Post
    Nice Lathe. I've got a Model 13-1 (13 x 42), and the only problem I've had with it is figuring out which lever to move to get the correct pitch/feed (DS&G owners will know what I'm talking about).

I noticed you're in Canada also. I get my DS&G parts from Hove Machine Services located in Wasaga Beach, Ontario. Dave's a decent guy to deal with (he's the DS&G parts man for Ontario).

As a side bar in other threads people have been looking for a decent oil gun for their European equipment and Hove got me a DS&G replacement oil gun for $48.00Can. I thought it was a good deal considering it came from the Uk.

Dave
    Dave, what year is your machine? I've spoken with Dave at Hove machine (I ordered a manual), and I will call him about the oiler.
    Thanks for the info.

Does anyone here know where I could source a new impellar for the suds pump (coolant pump). The one on my machine is badly corroded. There is probably a similar impellar out there somewhere just need to know where to look. I have all the size info if needed.

I was really drooling over those near new lathes.....especially after spending nearly 40 hours cleaning mine!
    Now I know why some people have more than one lathe....when another DSG comes up for sale I start calculating the shipping costs!

So far lot's of responses but nobody yet with the same machine as mine. I know there must be somebody out there with and oldy. Speak up!

What would the best way to "alert" everyone on the pm regarding scrap machines? If anyone ever heard of a DSG going to the scrap yard and it was as old as mine I would be very interested in some parts.

Love the PM!
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default it's not a lathe...it's a DSG Drill

Hi
    somebody has seen these machines somewhere?

Greetings

Ivan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by transiente View Post
    Hi
    somebody has seen these machines somewhere?

Greetings

Ivan
    I've never seen one of those, looks as though it might have been quite sophisticated with backgearing & power downfeed.

The first lathe I ever owned, in the 1960s, was a very old DSG which might have been contemporary with that drill. It was much more lightly built than my 17", but with a long bed on three pedestals. Flat belt drive, I ran it from an Armstrong-Siddeley diesel engine which had come off a pickup baler.
    The spindle bearings were simple bronze shells, a bit the worse for wear though I did tidy them up a bit. The biggest problem with it was that the feeds were terribly coarse, it must have just been used for roughing work. The only other lathe of its type that I've seen had an extra gear reduction in the feed train, if I had mine now I would have devised something similar for it but at that time it would have been a bit beyond me to do it.
    It wasn't on my own premises and I gave it away to a museum when I lost the use of the site, but it more than likely went for scrap in the end.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Micheal,

My lathe is a 1965 model, that's the year the University of Waterloo received the lathe anyways. Was pretty lucky, these guys kept everything. Have the original receipt, the little hanging card that tells you the basic steps to set up your lathe, they even kept the little can of touch up paint!

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dave,
    Post a pic so we can drool over your good fortune!
    Just the opposite of mine, they didn't keep anything with the lathe....
    so now I have to search and spend more money......

Quote Originally Posted by dharnell View Post
    Hi Micheal,

My lathe is a 1965 model, that's the year the University of Waterloo received the lathe anyways. Was pretty lucky, these guys kept everything. Have the original receipt, the little hanging card that tells you the basic steps to set up your lathe, they even kept the little can of touch up paint!

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bump! Hoping for more replies. We need more DSG owners to step forward, there is no shame in having Heavy English Iron.
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M. Moore View Post
    Bump! Hoping for more replies. We need more DSG owners to step forward, there is no shame in having Heavy English Iron.
    Michael
    Wish we could afford them mate, there's a recession over here

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a 13" x 42" DSG,toolroom version with the solid base.Nice machine but the crosslide dovetails are a bit narrow leading to the toolpost nodding on heavy interupted cuts.I did like the power drilling attachment which clamps to the crosslide dovetails also the nice long travel on the tailstock barrel.
    Mine was used mainly for facing sawn billets prior to going into a cnc.As this was heavy dirty work( 6" dia @ 1000 rpm x 0.012" feed/rev) I felt the machine was a bit light for this use and swapped it for a DSG Type 16 turret lathe.This is better suited to the type of work especially as the turret has power cross feed also.
    Mark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

really nice lathes guys!!

its really hard being in Australia and watching people post pictures of DS&G lathes though. we have next to none of these machines in this country, i have only ever seen one for sale but couldn't afford it at the time. if one in resonable condition ever does cross my path i wont hesitate to buy it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tried to sell my 1307x40 last month on ebay, with a buy it now for £3500 without the DRO, to no avail, I had a few Qs about it and one guy was generous enough to offer me £1500 for it! I said id get back to him ,I dont use it often enough to warrent keeping it, plus I also have 2 cazeneuve lathes fighting for floor space! but im not bothered if it goes or not for now. Perhaps my answer is to get a bigger unit! lol.

KB

14. Likes onecut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For those interested in Dean Smith & Grace history, there was a book published about the company - A Little Farm Well Tilled by Edward Grierson, date unknown, but probably around 1960. You will learn almost nothing from this book!

The title should give warning that all is not well - the "Rolls-Royce of lathes" suffers the indignity of the "Skoda of machine tool histories" - the worst attempt I have ever seen. It is truly pathetic, and will tell the reader almost nothing of value or interest! Unbelievable, and if those responsible had anything to do with running the company, then its demise was guaranteed.

In one or two places it shows that many different machine tool types were offered, but being a decent chap, the author doesn't sully the pages with any nasty machinery-related information by telling us anything about the products.

Even if you are the worlds greatest collector of DSG stuff, give the book a miss....
    Last edited by Peter S; 09-12-2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: toned down criticism slightly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    For those interested in Dean Smith & Grace history, there was a book published about the company - A Little Farm Well Tilled by Edward Grierson, date unknown, but probably around 1960. You will learn almost nothing from this book, it is pure drivel!

The title should give warning that all is not well - the "Rolls-Royce of lathes" suffers the indignity of the "Skoda of machine tool histories" - the worst attempt I have ever seen. It is truly pathetic, and will tell the reader almost nothing of value or interest! Unbelievable, and if those responsible had anything to do with running the company, then its demise was guaranteed.

In one or two places it shows that many different machine tool types were offered, but this decent author certainly doesn't sully the pages with any nasty machinery-related information by telling us anything about the products.

Even if you are the worlds greatest collector of DSG stuff, give the book a miss....
    Too late for me, I have a copy, luckily it didn't cost me much.
    There was a much older book about the company published in the 1920s which seems to be quite rare, I'd like to at least be able to view a copy of that one.

Tim

Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

K Battenbough, I love your machine:

Could you give us the following specs of your lathe ?:
    - Spindle speeds.
    - What sort of chuck-mounting it has.
    - What range of metric threads it will cut (number and range).
    - Motor specs/voltage.

Thank you for the info

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Panza

Im not 100% certain right now as I am out of the country and going off memory but im sure:-
    Spindle speeds are 40-1600 I think some models went to 2200
    Chuck is D-6
    To be honest I have never cut metric threads so cannot answer that one, I know theres a gear that must be changed in order to do so, perhaps the answer can be found on the web?
    Motor is 415 volts, 50 hz, 3 phase, some were 7.5 and some 15 hp, im pretty sure mine is 15, but again not certain.
    Hope this helps.

KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By the way, heres a cheap and cheerful type 13, ive just found for sale in the UK, if you can live with the colour! ive no connection with the seller.
    http://www.traceymachinery.co.uk/dsgtype13.JPG

KB

Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That orange adds some spice to the lathe That is a great deal if it were 6000 miles west I would be all over it. Other than swarf it looks to be in good shape.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still looking for anyone with a DSG 1955 or earlier. Just like mine!
    Also a reminder for a heads up regarding any and all DSG lathes that might be going to the scrap yard. I am guessing that there would be some demand for parts. So let us know if you see one!
    Thanks
    Michael
    Love the PM!