Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

screenshot_20190217-105516_samsung-internet.jpg
    Click the framed picture icon

screenshot_20190217-150929_gallery.jpg
    Using the (from computer)
    Click the (Choose file) box. Then click your picture in your files. Then it returns to this screen and you click (upload file(s)).

screenshot_20190217-145106_samsung-internet.jpg
    This page is if you want to (copy and paste) a url.
    I'm not familiar with this method. I read the pictures are larger using this method.

I had this posted then lost it trying to edit.
    I hope the photos are large enough. On my phone they are ok.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone have a weight for a 25x60? I have searched high and low with no luck>> I'm trying to figure out how many ponies to hire in order to drag her home.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

nevermind.. it had no leadscrew, plain bearings, and looked like it got in a few fights with forklifts. I punted

Country
    IRELAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Guys , have a DS&G 1609 "1974" ...metric lathe ...Not very up to date with the dial gauge for picking up the thread ....Been threading inch threads "no problem " with the" pitch dial gauge "but when i set up for metric ...im cross threading ...Looking to thread M14 X1 ...i must be engaging the lead screw on the wrong number ..Can any one help please ?Can post photos if needed .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

pretty sure you have to leave the lead screw engaged for metric threads. Lead screw will be 4 TPI. From DSG manual: 'The dial may be used when cutting any pitch which is contained a whale number of times in a
    length of 4 in.'

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am looking at a 1959 Type 17 - 17 x 48 engine lathe.I haven't viewed the machine myself, or even seen one in person before. The machine is a ferry ride away from me, but my brother has gone to look at the machine as he lives near where machine is located. It seems like it was left behind from a renter in a commercial space and the new owner is looking to move the machine. It is wired up, but something is not right. When you press the main power button on the headstock, there is an audible clunk, but the motor does not turn on. It seems that the coolant pump will turn on.
    How complicated are the electrics on this type machine? It certainly looks like an original electric motor, is it feasable to rebuild them if toast or does one look for a new replacement motor? The machine looks to be in pretty decent shape for the age, the asking price is Can $2500 dollars and the machine has an original turret toolpost, 3 and 4 jaw chuck and it looks like a steady and follow rest, no taper attachment. Not sure if it has change gears for metric threads.
    How expensive can the electrics get trying to repair something like this? The machine does come with transformer to step up voltage and I already have a rotary phase converter.
    Help please,
    Regards,
    Alan

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The vendor will need either a signed agreement ,bill of sale ,or court order authorizing him to sell .....Other wise you may get a nasty visit from the prior owner.....Machines like this arent hard to trace thru the network.

8. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shop teach,
    Careful with that machine the cross feed handle appears to be broken off and is not visible in the photo's. No telling what other damage occurred during the mishap. Combine that with the electrical problem and the price is a bit too high for my liking, too many manual lathes coming up for sale to fall in love with this one.
    I started this thread and do like my 13 x 42 even though it was not in really great condition and it was really far away. Be prepared to walk away if the seller is not ready to come way down in price.
    There is a Monarch right here on the island for $1200 if you want a project machine.
    Good luck,
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    The vendor will need either a signed agreement ,bill of sale ,or court order authorizing him to sell .....Other wise you may get a nasty visit from the prior owner.....Machines like this arent hard to trace thru the network.
    X2 on that, …...always, and I mean ALWAYS check and establish whoever is selling something has the right to do so.

Under UK law, an unwitting purchaser could end up being prosecuted for ''Receiving Stolen Goods'' which (apart from all the hassle that nobody needs) can be quite a rap Handling Stolen Goods - A Guide to the Offence and Punishments - LocalSolicitors.com

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for replies. I would have to make sure that the seller has rights to sell the machine. Michael, I did notice that the machine had a broken cross slide wheel, although my brother did look very carefully and didn't notice any other damage. I would not be willing to pay full price for the machine, and did ask seller if he was interested in offers. That is why I was asking about electricals, as I have no idea what is involved in an electrical re do on such a machine. I have seen the Monarch in Nanaimo, what a shame it has been left outside under a tarp. Booooooo.
    Regards,
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn’t worry too much about the electrical as it could be any one of several things. The coolant pump motor working is a good sign. Another reason for a lower price, not being able to hear the spindle and gearbox and check that the feeds are working etc.
    It may be possible to manually engage the contactor to get the motor spinning if the problem is with the switch (most likely). Take off the cover for the electrics which is on the front below the quick change gearbox and watch what happens when the coolant pump engages then use an insulated screwdriver to manually engage the contactor on the motor switch.
    If the contactor is pulling in and no power to the motor then it may be a simple fuse which are easy to test with an ohm meter.

The impact required to break off that handle has to have done some other damage, DSG’s are stout but not impervious to reckless fork truck drivers.
    On the plus side it does have the drill attachment for the saddle, a very nice feature indeed, wish I had one for mine. No taper is a negative, kind of a must have for lathes.

Good luck as it sounds like you are in love.......

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nope not in love.... I do like the sounds of running a lathe renowned as the "Rolls Royce" of engine lathes though. I agree that a taper attachment is super desirable, what is the drill attachment for the saddle?
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shopteach1 View Post
    Nope not in love.... I do like the sounds of running a lathe renowned as the "Rolls Royce" of engine lathes though. I agree that a taper attachment is super desirable, what is the drill attachment for the saddle?
    Alan
    It's an attachment that bolts onto the cross slide that enables you to drill with the saddle power feed instead of using the tailstock hand wheel.
    I'm not in the " taper turning attachment is a must " club. They're ok but not not massively useful in the normal run of shop work.

Regards Tyrone.

15. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    It's an attachment that bolts onto the cross slide that enables you to drill with the saddle power feed instead of using the tailstock hand wheel.
    I'm not in the " taper turning attachment is a must " club. They're ok but not not massively useful in the normal run of shop work.
    Maybe not but they're pretty much essential for making prop shafts and the like. It's why I have my Monarch CY lathe. I'd swap it for a DS&G 17 for the bigger spindle bore but only if the DS&G also had the taper attachment.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    Maybe not but they're pretty much essential for making prop shafts and the like. It's why I have my Monarch CY lathe. I'd swap it for a DS&G 17 for the bigger spindle bore but only if the DS&G also had the taper attachment.

PDW
    I would agree that for that sort of work they're very handy. However not everybody is in that kind of boat repair machining business. Taper bore bearing seats are another one I can think off. Lots of the larger lathes I worked on had powered top slides ( compound slides ).

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ran a DS&G hollow spindle for a good many years cutting oil field threads. The taper attachment was a must. I loved the air kick out for threading. It made it a dream.

When our shop finally bought a Mazak hollow spindle, I would race it cutting the same connections and could beat it every time on API connections. 4 1/2 IF in 18 minutes on the Dean. I could make that lathe sit up, roll over and bring me in the morning paper.

I had fun doing it but better money offers came along and had to jump ship. I have never had to run a lathe that big since but those Deans are nice.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 07-25-2019 at 02:34 AM. Reason: mis-spelled word

19. Likes Limy Sami, Demon73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How to remove knob from speed and feed chart on a 1709

Looks like it has a dowel pin but only way is out, and I cant see how to get it out without drilling it.
    I did check all around it for a grub screw or other dowl pins but nothing.
    Anyone have insight on how it is removed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190908_155726.jpg   20190908_155733.jpg   screenshot_20190909-132744_messenger.jpg