Close
Login to Your Account
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051
Results 1,001 to 1,017 of 1017
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JonPNash View Post
    I have just purchased a DSG 1910 x 40.. Think it was made around 1972? Spindle speed is 2k. Does anyone have a manual, parts list they can send me? I will post some pictures when she is installed in workshop. Also anyone local to Blighty who is good for advice and pointing me in right direction for spares, parts and advice. Planning to give her a bit of TLC to breath life into the old machine and any help will be graciously recieved. Thank you in advance. Jon
    Where abouts in the UK are you ?

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the reply, sorry I should have mentioned I finally found out how to get it apart.
    Correct it does come apart from the inside, the shaft runs right through with a nut on the back. Dean Smith & Grace sent through an original diagram detailing this.
    Was also warned there are cams behind the plate and to mark/take notes of their locations because they are very hard to re set.
    Regards
    Josh

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks
    I managed to get hold of a manual from a very helpful Alec at Budget Machinery hear in the UK. Some bedtime reading!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple of lathes on my bucket list to get is a DSG 1810T hardsgyde with the select a speed headstock and the other is a 1910T. Ultimately with the high speed option.
    Anyone know where a 1810T or even a non toolroom 1810 with select a speed is?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Josh

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default location

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Where abouts in the UK are you ?

Regards Tyrone.
    I'm in Norfolk at the moment but moving in London direction in next two months (dragging quite a bit of iron with me!). Hello Manchester. Lived over Snake pass in Sheffield for 15 years and miss being 'Up norf" as they say down here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JonPNash View Post
    I'm in Norfolk at the moment but moving in London direction in next two months (dragging quite a bit of iron with me!). Hello Manchester. Lived over Snake pass in Sheffield for 15 years and miss being 'Up norf" as they say down here.
    You're in luck you must be near Limey Sami, he lives in Norfolk. If I have a question about general shop work Sami is one of a select band of guys on here who's advice I would hang my hat on. He's definitely bought the tee shirt regarding turning etc.

Regards Tyrone.

7. Likes JonPNash liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JP_Innovations View Post
    A couple of lathes on my bucket list to get is a DSG 1810T hardsgyde with the select a speed headstock and the other is a 1910T. Ultimately with the high speed option.
    Anyone know where a 1810T or even a non toolroom 1810 with select a speed is?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Josh
    The hardsglide with selective speed headstock is a potential nightmare with the expensive electro clutches!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pressbrake1 View Post
    The hardsglide with selective speed headstock is a potential nightmare with the expensive electro clutches!
    I have been warned they can be an absolute nightmare if or when something goes wrong.
    Still I would like to get one.

Have you used one? Wondering what they are like.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, I will look him up. Just bought a new Thiel Mill, so will be needing some friendly advice and wisdom on hand and probably a shoulder to cry on, as workshop is filling up with a lot of to do projects!.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Guys, I wonder if anybody can help pleaseeeee...

I had my DSG 13x30 back in February but haven't really done anything with it until a few weeks ago and i was getting horrifically bad chatter and seriously poor finish and tapers whilst boring. I've definite play in the spindle (over 0.040) up down and looking through the manual and searches on tinterweb it shows its meant to have gamet double taper on chuck side and self adjusting on the other yet I've taken the top of mine and its different to the manuals etc and has a centre support bearing too, lathes.co.uk says the early ones could have taper or roller bearings, can anybody shed any light on mine and any adjustability? new gamet bearing prices will probably write it off for me....

I'll attach some photos, the ones inside the machine are just to show the middle support and one shows (but hard to see) the taper bearing is sitting slightly out of the taper.

ohh excuse the mess of it too, that was the day i picked it up

thanks

Marc[ATTACH=CONFIG]267685][/ATTACHimg_1743.jpgimg_1999.jpgimg_2154.jpgimg_2205.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_8213.jpg  
    Last edited by Marc Jonah; 10-20-2019 at 02:43 PM. Reason: I'm useless on computers...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jonah View Post
    Hi Guys, I wonder if anybody can help pleaseeeee...
    Tyrones ya man to help here, am sure hell be along soon.

.040" is huge, am hoping someones left something out or lose etc. Bearings arnt cheap if they need replacing.

Cheers
    D

13. Likes Marc Jonah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's few years ago since I had the spindle out of a DSG but I'm pretty sure they were " Timken " bearings and not " Gamet ". The customer bought them and I fitted them so I don't know how much they cost but they wouldn't be cheap, that's if you can get them today. They were a special matched pair of bearings and not the usual run of the mill type.

You need to remove all that oil piping and speed change bracketry and have a proper look at the bearings. 0.040"is a crazy amount of play on a spindle, that suggests to me that something has come loose on the spindle. If the bearings were badly worn you'd see evidence of that inside the gearbox. In an ideal world you need less than a 0.001" end float and and less than 0.0005" up and down movement.

If my memory serves me well there is a locking ring that will take up the running clearance on the main bearings. I had the handbook for the lathe at the time and it told you how to calibrate the correct bearing running setting by wrapping a length of string around the chuck and using a spring balance to carefully pull the chuck around to a particular setting on the balance. " Richards " Hor bores used that very same technique for setting the facing slide spindles as well but with a different torque. I can't recall what the figures were now, I can't remember what I had for tea these days.

Tony's Lathes will no doubt have a copy of the handbook for that machine. I'd contact him if I were you. Accurate knowledge regarding what you're up against is priceless.

Regards Tyrone.

15. Likes Marc Jonah liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thatís brilliant thanks, I have read about the string/preload way of doing it but the shaft configuration seemed different on the models being discussed. Iíll give dsg guys a call and see what they recommend. Iím fairly sure I can see marks on the locking ring etc so it must have been played with in the past and Iím just hoping as you say that it needs resetting.

Thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am hoping that the play was in the chuck mount? Did you do the spindle testing with the chuck off the machine?
    I am pretty sure I have the manual for that machine and can have a look at the proper spindle adjustment procedures for you. I may need a reminder given my workload at the moment.

Welcome to the DSG club, membership has its benefits.

18. Likes Marc Jonah liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many thanks, yes chuck is off

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hope you weren't running it long while having those issues. Running the lathe for much length of time with spindle bearings that loose could do some real damage.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Iíve only run for about an hour tops anyway but who know how long it has been run like this in the past