Thread: Death of a pet

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I feel for you. It is a right shitty hand you are dealt.

A few year back, our cat was suddenly listless, took her to the Vet on a Friday, diagnosis, Feline leukemia, terminal. Suggested that I take her home for the weekend, have the family say their goodbyes and bring her back on Monday. I said ok, sounds like a plan. Only later did I realize that Monday was my birthday. So I got to euthanize the family pet on my bday. I still miss Maggie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The steroids will likely work for a while. Deepest sympathies!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I feel your pain!

2017 was a bad year for our household with dogs. One apparently had a stroke and had to be put down. Another got cancer and was suffering so also had to be put down. The third was a tiny Pappilon who got run over in the road after running away.

We rebounded and shortly thereafter went to the local city and county pound and got two more rescue doggies. One is a Dachshund-Terrier and the other is a mini-Pinscher/Jack Russell.

That was great but then my machinist friend brought over a Chihuahua puppy and we took him also so we're back to three.

I get up every morning at 6:00 a.m. to feed them and let them out. The two big ones have PetSafe collars on a wired system so that they stay on the front acre. The Chihuahua never runs free. He goes on a leash because he's too small for a collar.

I love my doggies. I like to have at least three. I'd like more, but the wife is against it. She also took away my Harley a couple of years ago. Said something about me being too old.

Last edited by Newman109; 09-19-2020 at 10:21 PM.

5. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    I feel your pain!

2017 was a bad year for our household with dogs. One apparently had a stroke and had to be put down. Another got cancer and was suffering so also had to be put down The third was a tiny Pappilon who got run over in the road after running away.

We rebounded and shortly thereafter went to the local city and county pound and got two more rescue doggies. One is a Dachshund-Terrier and the other is a mini-Pinscher/Jack Russell.

That was great but then my machinist friend brought over a Chihuahua puppy and we took him also so we're back to three.

I get up every morning at 6:00 a.m. to feed them and let them out. The two big ones have PetSafe collars on a wired system so that they stay on the front acre. The Chihuahua never runs free. He goes on a leash because he's too small for a collar.

I love my doggies. I like to have at least three. I'd like more, but the wife is against it. She also took away my Harley a couple of years ago. Said something about me being too old. Damn her.

My wife said no more animals ):

I think this is going to hurt too bad , and to think we got 2 more, don't think she (or I) can do it again....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    I feel for you. It is a right shitty hand you are dealt.

A few year back, our cat was suddenly listless, took her to the Vet on a Friday, diagnosis, Feline leukemia, terminal. Suggested that I take her home for the weekend, have the family say their goodbyes and bring her back on Monday. I said ok, sounds like a plan. Only later did I realize that Monday was my birthday. So I got to euthanize the family pet on my bday. I still miss Maggie.
    Sorry man. We had a cat named Maggie. She was "adopted" by my oldest step daughter, had to be put down a couple years ago at like 17, so she lived a full life at least.

My dog's birthday is 1 week from today. He would be 13. He outlived the normal life expectancy, but it still sucks. I am soooooo dreading this week. I honestly hope he passes in his sleep before then, as it doesn't seem right to take him on one last drive....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We've been through that (loss of a family dog) 10 times. Last time I didn't think I'd ever have the strength to take in another dog that I knew I was going to lose sooner or later, but 5 months later we brought another into our hearts and home - a 6 year old Brittany named Chief. Direct adoption from the original owners so we know his history. 6 months now, one full heartworm treatment and he's my boy - I'm in my office and he's laying not 10 feet away.

So I can tell you that while it's dark now there's light at the end of the tunnel.

9. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are cat people. One that we truly loved went in for tooth cleaning at age 10. She reacted with the anesthesia and was fast asleep. The vet discovered she had extensive lung cancer in trying to find the reason for the reaction. We had her put down without attempting to wake her. Hurt so bad we were without a pet for about two years. Then we took in a rescue that is now a great pal to both of us. I am almost 90 and he is just 2, so he will likely mourn my absence at some time.

11. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My deepest sympathies, pets are part of the family. My cat that I had to force feed as a kitten for a month or she would have died, passed away 6 months ago just short of the age of 10. She didn't suffer, just let out a strange noise and fell over, while sitting next to me on the couch. My girlfriend thought I should just toss her in the woods and let the buzzards get her, I was appalled. I made her a casket out of scrap wood and buried her on the fringe of what I would call the backyard, or the area I keep the woods from claiming. No way I could dump her like trash.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    My deepest sympathies, pets are part of the family. My cat that I had to force feed as a kitten for a month or she would have died, passed away 6 months ago just short of the age of 10. She didn't suffer, just let out a strange noise and fell over, while sitting next to me on the couch. My girlfriend thought I should just toss her in the woods and let the buzzards get her, I was appalled. I made her a casket out of scrap wood and buried her on the fringe of what I would call the backyard, or the area I keep the woods from claiming. No way I could dump her like trash.
    Wow! Sorry for your loss. Surprised a woman would be so callous....

Strangely, my wife seems to be doing better than me with this. I am constantly wiping my eyes. It's just an animal right/ NO, he's my buddy and friend.

14. Likes DavidScott, vanguard machine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It especially sucks because he was such a people person. Glad to se ANYONE! What's the saying... he knew none that wasn't a friend or something?.... Now he just lays around, no interest in anything or anyone...

edit: I even got his favorite frosty paws ice cream today and no interest. I think he is just done...

16. Likes vanguard machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
    Then we took in a rescue that is now a great pal to both of us. I am almost 90 and he is just 2, so he will likely mourn my absence at some time.
    I got a shelter cat, of all the inhabitants he had been in the shelter by far the longest at 6 months, he was on the biter list among other things. The cats were housed 3-4 each in rooms with glass walls, you could see into from a hallway and they had doors where you could go in and interact with the cats. There was one by himself a tabby who was walking around meowing. I tried the door but it was locked. An attendant said he had gotten overstimulated and bitten someone so he will only be seen by request. I wanted to see him so they let me in. He did walk over and rub my leg after a while but when I tried to pet him he hissed and took a swipe at me. I looked at a few other cats but the ones I was interested in drew interest from a couple kids, so I decided to take the one that was not the model citizen.

When I decided to take Gabriel, now renamed Pinball the whole staff seemed to be overjoyed, almost to the point of shock. They thought he was about 2 and no idea on his back story. The good, he will eat anything and always uses the liter boxes. The previous cat would only eat Royal Canin Savor Select, I think because of the strong smell and she would pee on my dirty clothes in the laundry basket from time to time and once peed on my girlfriend's shoes. The last cat was almost over affectionate, this guy It took 3 months to pet him and only when he sits at my feet when I am at my home office desk, try to touch him any other time and he runs. He no longer hisses and the occasional bite isn't hard and I believe his socially inept way of playing. He does walk around meowing all the time, and if he can't get to a flying insect he yowls like someone is hurting him.

18. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    It especially sucks because he was such a people person. Glad to se ANYONE! What's the saying... he knew none that wasn't a friend or something?.... Now he just lays around, no interest in anything or anyone...
    Sit with him, put your hand on him, talk to him, drip tears on him. You are best buddies. It hurts something awful.

Paul, with 4 much loved cats buried in the yard & 1 in the house.

20. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My thoughts are with you. We have had 3 dogs get cancer but lucked out, in a way, and surgery was an option on all of them. 2 made it and one of them the cancer came back with a vengeance. Good luck, it never hurts, and take care of yourselves through this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Man, I feel this so hard. Right at the beginning of the Coronavirus lockdown, our old man cat (We suspect he was in the vicinity of 20yrs old, he's been my girlfriend's/her mom's cat since she was a teenager), my favorite of the 5 (I suck at telling my girlfriend "no"), had to be put down.

I've always been told by veterinarian friends that you should stay with your animal when they get put down, because as hard as it is for you, it's harder for them to be surrounded by strangers in their last moments.

We weren't allowed to be in the room with him, due to COVID.

The vets were great though... They gave us a private room and said we could stay with him as long as we wanted, and when we were done, just slip out the back door, and they'd check the room every 20 mins or so to see if we were gone.

That's the first cat I ever really liked. I was originally mad when her Mom said he needed to come live with us... I didn't want a cat in my brand new, pet free home. But he was my favorite kind of cat. Old and chill. Didn't tear around the house and tear things up, just wanted to sit in a warm spot, and be petted. Did the silliest stuff, like every morning when my girl would open the door to our bedroom, he'd run in immediately, jump on the bed, and bat at my blankets until I let him under the covers, and we'd have 5 minutes to just chill every morning.

Stupid cat would jump off the counter and into the trash can, chasing whatever food you had just thrown away, and then just sit in the bottom of the can and stare up at you until you got him out.

I was going to turn a nice urn for him, but the vet gave us a very nice hardwood box with his cremains, so I think I'll leave well enough alone.

It's hard man. My eyes got a little watery just typing all this up. I miss that stupid furball.

23. Likes Milland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    (I suck at telling my girlfriend "no"),
    I have always been pretty hard ass unless they start crying, then some figure that out and learn how to cry on command and then I am screwed.

25. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've always been told by veterinarian friends that you should stay with your animal when they get put down, because as hard as it is for you, it's harder for them to be surrounded by strangers in their last moments.
    I'm a firm believer in also bringing the dogs canine friends in, especially if they are
    really good buddies. At least then they know, and they don't spend the next 6 months
    sitting on the porch waiting for their friend to come home.

Mine all come home, and they get a big rock. 5 of them out there now. Cats included.

27. Likes paul39, TeachMePlease, Sean the Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coming up on ten years - no more pets

p1010310_2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't mean to take away from Mikes loss but as a tribute to all our lost furry family, I say..
    "post em if you got em"

30. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

rocket.jpg

Rocket, that pic was taken 8 days before she died at 9 years 8 months. Looks like she is giving me the evil eye for not sanding cut-off tits fast enough.

32. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, we have a bunch of rocks marking cat graves in our back yard. The most recent one was the outdoor stray that we cared for after our ex-neighbor departed. He had a funny thing on his hind foot and was limping. So off to the vet, evidently lung cancer in cats winds up metastatic to the feet. Large tumor, around his heart. So a quick trip for penicillin wound up being a cat carrier coming home empty. Shit.

We have two shelter cats indoors still (outdoor cat Sam would not come inside, made him a heated house for the front porch) and when those are gone, probably two more. I rationalize this as rodent control.