What's new
What's new

Death of a pet

Mike1974

Diamond
I know this will probably get closed due to "chit chat nature", but I need to share. Our 13 year old dog was diagnosed with cancer today (Friday). If he survives until Thursday, we are having him put down. What a shitty year 2020 is proving to be. :(

Hopefully the trolls will leave this alone, hard enough as it is, but I do feel like we are a community here and wanted to express a bit of feelings...

Why wait to if he survives to Thursday?..the dog could be suffering now, so do it soon would be best.

When wife and kid both have time off. Got some steroids' medicine that has definitely perked him up a bit. Besides, how do you decide the best day for your animal to die? :( I don't want it to be any day....

I know this will probably get closed due to "chit chat nature", but I need to share. Our 13 year old dog was diagnosed with cancer today (Friday). If he survives until Thursday, we are having him put down. What a shitty year 2020 is proving to be. :(

Hopefully the trolls will leave this alone, hard enough as it is, but I do feel like we are a community here and wanted to express a bit of feelings...
Sorry to hear that man, never easy :(
Zooming out, accept as best you can, put the dogs position first, enjoy the time you have left. When the times right and if you an yours feel you want to, maybe go down the pound and walk around those looking for a home, youll know straight away. Can do one o them a favor and still celebrate the memory, thats yours to treasure.
Take care.
D

Sorry to hear that. But be comforted that he knows you love him. I have owned several and gone though this before with pets and it is always hard but when he passes with his "pack" surrounding him and holding him he will have had a beautiful end to a wonderful life. We can only hope as people to be lucky enough to go that way.

Sorry to hear about your friend, I've been there too many times myself, I have made the decision then regretted it, and have put it off till it was too late and regretted that too. Its never easy, do what is best, its all you can do.

Sorry bud, that shit is rough, I've had to put more down than I care to say. I look at it as keeping my end of the bargain. Did the vet give you pain medication? I feel for you guys.

Brent

i would not put him down until he tels you to. he will. dogs can decide for themselves.

Mike,
We had to say goodbye to our 12 year old golden last week. This time (2 previous dogs) I decided to have a home euthanasia so that my best buddy could pass from this world in his familiar surroundings with the people who loved him. I'll never do it any other way from now on. Nobody can really know how you feel, but I know that it's a painful decision.

Bob

Sorry Mike tough time for sure. We’re here for you. Going out surrounded by your pack that loves you, it’s the best any of us can hope for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry about you friend Ive been there and it's never easy. All my best to you and your family at this difficult time. Faith will carry you all through this and the remainder of this strange and difficult year.

God bless

Ron

I'll somewhat agree with the above, your dog will tell you.
Ir's been almost 4 years since I posted a similar thread about my dogs bought with cancer.
He wasn't my first dog and I had been thru it with the others, but because they were older 17-18 and they in fact gave me that look, "its time" it was easier.
Its hard to look at the good in this situation, but if the kids cann be there, it is a life lesson they need to learn.
I still hurt from my last one as he was only 10 years old, had gone thru surgery a year before, but the cancer returned and there wasn't a 2nd chance to allow the dog to have a happy life.
I can remember playing Sinatra on the way to the vet with his head on my lap, now its hard when I hear one of Franks songs being played
They are our companions, and having a pet is a responsibility not to be taken lightly.
Treat him as such
My thoughts and prayers for what you and your family going thru.

I swore after my last I would not want to go thru it again,never going to have another dog.
At nearly 60, that meant the next time potentiality at 75 tearing an old mans heart apart.....
3 months later we had a rescue that keeps us busy.

We went thru that too. A dog we adopted as a pup finally had to be put down at age 15. Very sad. BUT - she got a nice little burial and we had paw prints made. Plenty of pictures too. She's in dog heaven, most likely enjoying a milk-bone.

Sorry Mike to hear this. You did the good thing to delay. Most times the Vet can give something’s to take care of things temporarily . It is worth it yet be sure you do not wait too long. They can turn quick and watching them suffer is not good.

Heartbreaking really. You are doing the right thing for the family.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I can't believe this hurts so bad.... and the weird thing is he is/has always been my wife's dog. We have 3 right now, with the other 2 definitely being "my" dogs. I am really gonna lose my shit when that day comes for them!

Back