Thread: Death of a pet

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sucks. My last Doberman went through similar, had some kind of tumors growing against his spinal cord. Found out when he started stumbling everywhere. By then it was way too late to do anything. He made it another few months needing help to get outside. I knew it was time when he just stopped even trying to get up anymore. I am not ashamed to say I had more than a few tears in my eyes as I hugged and held him for the last time while they gave him the injection. I miss him, he was a great dog. My condolences.

2. Likes vanguard machine, gustafson liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear of your loss. The heartache of having a pet die has caught me off guard more than once.

Our 14 year old female Aussie died in 2015 leaving our Blue Heeler lonely, he died in 2018. I couldn’t bring myself to get another dog right away.

Then over the next two years our place became overrun with raccoons, possums, deer, coyotes, and the odd cougar . . . it was time to get a dog and this spring we brought home Vern and Earl . . . two better dogs you could never find.

4a732b2a-b1d4-435d-963b-d27b1398d63c.jpg

4. Likes Bobw, Mike1974, dodgin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    My deepest sympathies, pets are part of the family. My cat that I had to force feed as a kitten for a month or she would have died, passed away 6 months ago just short of the age of 10. She didn't suffer, just let out a strange noise and fell over, while sitting next to me on the couch. My girlfriend thought I should just toss her in the woods and let the buzzards get her, I was appalled. I made her a casket out of scrap wood and buried her on the fringe of what I would call the backyard, or the area I keep the woods from claiming. No way I could dump her like trash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Wow! Sorry for your loss. Surprised a woman would be so callous....

Strangely, my wife seems to be doing better than me with this. I am constantly wiping my eyes. It's just an animal right/ NO, he's my buddy and friend.
    I think the feeling was oddly mutual, my girlfriend doesn't live with me, but would visit up to a week at a time. The cat was always welcoming the strangers, even dogs as I had a friend who would drop his pair of Labs off a couple times a year when he would take vacation or long weekends out of town. I also had a friend who didn't go anywhere without his Doberman. The first time the Doberman was over Rocket ran right up to him. I think her sickness as a kitten effected her natural instincts for self preservation.

The only living being she didn't take to was my girlfriend oddly enough. Even if we were all on the bed she made sure I was in between my girlfriend and her. If I didn't know any better I would have thought my girlfriend was abusing my cat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With our last dog, I asked the vet if we could do it outside, on the grass next to a tree. No problem. It was a hell of a lot better than some sterile examining room, for all involved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike, I'm truly sorry to hear about your dog. Like most here, I've been through this more times than I care to remember. To me, the hardest part is the burial. I remember burying our first dog and tossing her favorite ball in the ground with her. I think I sat down and cried for half an hour.

Although we don't currently have a dog, we now have two cats. I like dogs better, and I will get another one as soon as a get a new fence built. That seems to be the best way to get over losing one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife said no more animals ):

I think this is going to hurt too bad , and to think we got 2 more, don't think she (or I) can do it again....
    Dogs keep me calm and thinking straight. They need my help to keep going and it is fun taking care of them. I just can't be without a dog or two.

9. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike I'm sorry you are having to go through this... It is hard no matter how tough you are...

Three weeks ago our 10 year old Toby stopped eating and when we got him to a vet the news was not good, liver cancer.. We said goodbye about 30 minutes after the vet told us the news, no sense in making the poor guy suffer any longer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Mike, I like dogs better, and I will get another one as soon as a get a new fence built. That seems to be the best way to get over losing one.
    After losing three really good dogs I agree with you...There are dogs that need a good home and it really does help...

Three weeks ago we lost my wife's dog to cancer. She really loved the breed and I started searching for a new puppy... With Covid it seems everyone is getting dogs and a puppy of the breed my wife likes was extremely hard to find... I found one though, ain't the internet great The only one I could find was in Pennsylvania Amish country 1600 miles away... Problem is with the Covid it's not exactly a safe trip to make to pick up a dog. But anything for my wife, so I stocked up the motorhome with food and we made it up there and back with very little " people" interaction and the joy in my wife's eyes was worth the risk

Meet Rosie

And to keep this somewhat on topic.... Rosie has been promoted to the machine shop inspector

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike,
    thanks for the comments. I appreciate that you can reach out even when the pain of loss is strong.

Maggi's full name was Margaret Thatcher. She was gray with 4 white paws and a white vest. She was the iron lady.

13. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have 13 pups buried down by the road here, barny the goat is in there too,4 horses buried in the pasture, the two pups sleepin here now are 10 an 11, my eyes are wet,loved em all.
    Mike, you aint alone
    Gw

15. Likes tdmidget, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    AFGHANISTAN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Death of a pet

It especially sucks because he was such a people person. Glad to se ANYONE! What's the saying... he knew none that wasn't a friend or something?.... Now he just lays around, no interest in anything or anyone...

edit: I even got his favorite frosty paws ice cream today and no interest. I think he is just done...
    i lost both of mine this year.. simply put it's just fucking awful.
    my beautiful 11 year old sweet baby girl dobie and her 6 year old little brother, they were my everything. i'm single, so losing them just meant loneliness on a level i never knew existed. it's been 5 months since my girl passed and i'm still stuck in a rut over it. some (most) days i still break down and lose it for a minute and have to cry to just let the pain find a way out.
    i'm told it does somehow get easier in time.
    if i can give you any advice, from someone who's literally been there three times in the past three years; have the vet come to you... do it in their bed, wherever their favorite spot in the house was. Lots of vets will come to you and some of them don't even charge anything for the service, then the cremation place will come and pick up shortly there after. It's much more comfortable for them to go out not surrounded by an unfamiliar environment, bright lights and strangers. and the memories that remain will be much better for you and your family that way.
    Death of a pet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default a picture, more to follow..

Here's our guy getting ready to leave us

baxter-2020.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

20150329_111347_optimized.jpg

litle-cosmo.jpg

20. Likes vanguard machine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

london-minime.jpg
    waistband.jpg

my other dogs. big one is London, lab mix, smaller one is Cosmo, chihuwa (sp?) mix

22. Likes vanguard machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had Dobermans for over 30 years. Great dogs who pretty much play until they are done. Last one was pretty much what people assume a Doberman is.

Exactly 7 people on the planet were not the enemy.

Maybe 3 more he would tolerate if in our company.

Anyone with a chaperone[IOW a dog] would be ignored

He finally scared the neighbors one too many times and was exiled to the shop.*

total pain in my ass

still sobbed like an idiot when we put him down

wife got a tiny dog to fill the void when he got kicked out. They got along great.

Some months after we put the big guy down I had to bring the little dog[not a shop dog] to work because no one was around, and he started jumping and barking in the car excited to see his friend

Lost it again

*Never actually hurt anyone, but probably ruined a lot of underwear. Some lost woman knocked on the locked front shop full glass door, with the 100 pound Doberman frothing on the other side. She walked to the side door when I went to answer the front door, and the dog beat me there. I came around the corner he had her pinned standing facing the corner nose in the small of her back, giving her the 'big bark' . DIdn't so much as scratch her.

24. Likes Mike1974, vanguard machine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

london-minime.jpg
    waistband.jpg

my other dogs. big one is London, lab mix, smaller one is Cosmo, chihuwa (sp?) mix
    He has a "belly band" on becasue he was so hard to potty train. Doing decent now, but he is a ninja! If you don't take him out immediately when he starts crying !BAM! poops in the house LoL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    Sucks. My last Doberman went through similar, had some kind of tumors growing against his spinal cord.
    Must be a thing now. Friend came to the shop and started smacking my last one in the face[like you do] and he [the dog that is] yelped loudly, and that was the beginning of the end

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Must be a thing now. Friend came to the shop and started smacking my last one in the face[like you do] and he [the dog that is] yelped loudly, and that was the beginning of the end
    Smackin him? You mean like playing with them (I HOPE!) where they bite at your hands? My big dog loves that. But sometimes she don't know her own strength haha. Bit me a few times that actually hurt! But I still trust her with my life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smackin him? You mean like playing with them (I HOPE!) where they bite at your hands? My big dog loves that. But sometimes she don't know her own strength haha. Bit me a few times that actually hurt! But I still trust her with my life.
    I think you need to have a Dobey to really understand. A good beating is what they live for
    [edit] Came home once when I was single, two empty beer cans and a note on the table:

Came, you weren't here, beat the dog.

Dog was passed the hell out, happy

Country
    AFGHANISTAN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

dobies are amazing creatures.. gorgeous, minimal shedding, unreal smart, super easy to train, absolutely full of love for humans and mine at least LOVED pretty much all other dogs and just wanted to play.

the biggest thing with dobies is they need lots of love, a lot of discipline for the first year or so, preferably another high energy brother or sister to run around with and lots of room to play and run.

mine always did really well behaviorally because they had tons of love, lots of visitors and the entire compound to run around all day.

damn i miss them so much. life just isn't the same and for the first time in my life i'm actually lonely. funny how much i actually talked to them and how much i miss that aspect of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk