Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Death of a pet

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Death of a pet

Losing a beloved pet is like losing a member of the family — it is gut wrenching and overwhelmingly sad.

But the pleasure and happiness our pets give us during their life makes the pain of losing them worth it.

Over time the heartache will turn into fond memories of your furry friend.

As said, often the best therapy after losing a pet is to get a new one.

I lost my cat of 15 years last year, a stupid kidney infection led to her going blind while at the vet. Never understood why, unless she had a stroke, or they may have overdosed her with antibiotics..??

After bringing her home, she did well for several months. I kept the cat door unlocked, as she loved to go outside and lay in the sun. Coming home one evening she was nowhere to be found. My best guess is a neighbors dog got her, then took her back to their house.

I never got the chance to say goodbye or bury her, which sucks after 15 years of having a best buddy.

I now have a 22-rifle at home, any dogs on the property are subject to capital punishment....and the neighbors have been told such.

I live in a subdivision with a leash law for dogs, and we have a leash law in the county as well...so any loose dog can be considered dangerous and a threat.

My cats are just as important to me as the neighbors dogs are to them.

Sorry about the rant, it makes me both mad and sad to think about my little girl’s last moments as she minded her own business in her own yard.

ToolCat

2. Likes gustafson, paul39, Mike1974, Rob F., TheOldCar liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've had several Dobies too, absolutely fantastic dogs. Probably won't get another big dog with my back issues or I would already have another. Absolutely need a firm hand the first year to year and a half. And yeah they LOVE to play fight, but you can pretty much hit a Doberman about as hard as you can and they still just think you're playing. Tough S.O.B.s. - mine have all been well behaved, never bitten anyone in anger. Scared the hell out of plenty though.

We have a shelter pup now, some sort of black lab mix. Looks just like a regular black lab but in miniature, only about 35 pounds. He's crazy, kids love him.

Also found an abandoned kitten out behind my garage while working out there one day. Maybe 2-3 weeks old. Found the whole litter but momma moved the rest. Made sure not to touch them, but she didn't like seeing me back there I guess. Threw down some flour (looking for footprints) to watch for momma to come back for the last one but she never did. Waited 24 hours then brought it in, got a baby kitten bottle and formula, etc. Had to milk the damned thing to go to the bathroom every 4 hours. Didn't enjoy that so much. But she made it, and is a pretty good cat. Play fights the dog on the regular, usually attacks first by doing some crazy acrobatic flip. Looks like a ninja flipping all around when she's fighting, pretty hilarious.

4. Likes gustafson, vanguard machine, Mike1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think even a blind cat would make a mess of any domestic dog that tangled with it. I would be more suspicious of some thing wild, especially with no remains.

Take solace that she probably left a permanent reminder of the day with the perp.

There is a reason why we don't keep Doberman sized cats as pets.......... 8 pounds is enough

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    I think even a blind cat would make a mess of any domestic dog that tangled with it. I would be more suspicious of some thing wild, especially with no remains.

Take solace that she probably left a permanent reminder of the day with the perp.

There is a reason why we don't keep Doberman sized cats as pets.......... 8 pounds is enough
    Unless it was declawed...I don't do that to cats, just keep the claws trimmed. Just in case the cat ever gets stuck out in the wild - might need those claws! But yeah, I would rather tangle with a hundred pound dog than a hundred pound cat any day. Four extra possible attack vectors would be a real bitch to deal with.

7. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    Unless it was declawed...I don't do that to cats, just keep the claws trimmed. Just in case the cat ever gets stuck out in the wild - might need those claws! But yeah, I would rather tangle with a hundred pound dog than a hundred pound cat any day. Four extra possible attack vectors would be a real bitch to deal with.
    100 pound dog you are master

100 pound cat you are dinner[maybe a little breakfast tomorrow if you are not too skinny]

cats make a mess of things if you are not willing to cut the claws. If it was a pure house cat, I would not see declawing as a danger, but it is still probably cruel

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    I now have a 22-rifle at home, any dogs on the property are subject to capital punishment....and the neighbors have been told such.

I live in a subdivision with a leash law for dogs, and we have a leash law in the county as well...so any loose dog can be considered dangerous and a threat.
    You can pretty much kill anything other than a human that comes on your property around here. I came from California where you can't even kill a rattlesnake if is sitting on your front porch, you are supposed to call animal control so they can relocate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

De-clawing doesn't take the claw, they remove the entire first joint of the finger.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    I would rather tangle with a hundred pound dog than a hundred pound cat any day.
    There are a few things you notice .... they are hot. The fur is coarse. The paws are very very large.

And that cheesy little frayed collar ...

2tigers.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    De-clawing doesn't take the claw, they remove the entire first joint of the finger.
    Its pretty gruesome. We had a declawed cat up until about a year ago, it was kind of nice.
    Its lot easier to get a declawed cat into a cat carrier than a clawed cat.
    Kind of like a coffee table height tail less dog.

I heard about a new way of sort of declawing, they cut the tendon so they can't extend them,
    but they are still there for defense if needed, just they aren't sticking out as far.

Either way, I wouldn't do it. Just like chopping a dogs tail off, I wouldn't do it,
    I couldn't do it, but when they come that way, its pretty nice.

The one on the left, she came that way, the vet was 95% sure she was born that way.
    The one on the right, that thing should be a registered weapon, 2" of pure fast moving
    muscle, and its right at nut height, that thing is dangerous, and it HURTS.

This little guy on the other hand, his tail is like getting tickled with a feather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Attachment 299826
    Attachment 299827

my other dogs. big one is London, lab mix, smaller one is Cosmo, chihuwa (sp?) mix
    Did Cosmo get the ankle biting aggressive traits of a Chihuahua? How does a waist band help potty training?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    There are a few things you notice .... they are hot. The fur is coarse. The paws are very very large.

And that cheesy little frayed collar ...

2tigers.jpg
    I said 100 pound cat. I damn DAMN sure wouldn't want to tangle with a 600 pound cat. Even if it was declawed! I chose Siberian Tigers as a report project in school, they are some fearsome animals.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ahh, shit. Losing a pet is the worst. Hugs. When my cat dies, I took off the next couple days, Couldn't focus or think or anything.

16. Likes Newman109 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Did Cosmo get the ankle biting aggressive traits of a Chihuahua? How does a waist band help potty training?
    He doesn't really do the ankle biting thing, although he is very aggressive to new … people....'

The belly band is/was to help with him peeing in the house, if he couldn't hold it, like a daiper...

edity: He DID NOT LIKE my youngest grandson (2-3ish) and would run up and nip at his fingers LoL...'

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My machinist friend Don has a shop cat that lived to be something like 18 years of age. She died abut a year ago. He wasn't exactly sure how old she was but she was full-grown when he got her and she lived in his shop for more than 15 years. In all that time, he told me that he never saw a mouse or a rat in the shop so, she did her part.

When she died we both mourned. Soon thereafter, he got three more cats by default but they live outside where he feeds them and gives them water.

The shop cat would often pester him when he was working on his Mori Seiki.

shop-cat-1.jpgshop-cat-5.jpg

19. Likes Bobw, swatkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How safe are cats in machine shops? I threatened to allow a stray kitten become my shop cat, I worried about him licking coolant and antifreeze and such, and getting injuries from chips. And then there is the tail to keep out of moving machinery.
    A friend's dog went blind, he thought it was from watching him weld.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    How safe are cats in machine shops? I threatened to allow a stray kitten become my shop cat, I worried about him licking coolant and antifreeze and such, and getting injuries from chips. And then there is the tail to keep out of moving machinery.
    A friend's dog went blind, he thought it was from watching him weld.

I can only tell you about my friend's cat. 15 years, no lost time accidents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Losing a pet is brutal for sure. I lost my big fat girlfriend 'Bella' in February. 100 pounds of best friend, for 13 years.

Stuart

lapdog.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    Losing a pet is brutal for sure. I lost my big fat girlfriend 'Bella' in February. 100 pounds of best friend, for 13 years.

Stuart

lapdog.jpg
    That is a pretty big lap dog.

24. Likes atomarc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Losing a pet of many years is a so hard hit.
    Sorry to hear the problem.
    Non pet owners will never understand the how and why of the feelings.
    Some will say "It's just a dog or just a cat". Those do not understand and if you are this way please never say it to a pet owner.

Yet we adopt them knowing full well that we will most likely outlive them.
    Why?
    Have had a dog since the day I was born and cats also.
    When I do die who takes care of the dog and cats if the wife is gone also?
    If at my age and this one dies do I get another dog that might outlive me? Or maybe I go though another two or three?

The only real problem I have had with a shop dog or cat is sometimes you see them limping and find a chip in their paw.
    For some reason they never seem to even think about sipping the coolant which in a carbide shop is water and sort of antifreeze but that was a big worry.

Darn things become so figgen loyal and such a part of your life. Then all the things around the shop or house that remind you.
    My solution has always been go get another little one and do it all again.
    Why the addiction to pets once you have one? Is there something wired in?

Perhaps chit-chat but IMO sharing this with us here seems a good thing.
    I know nothing said can fix the pain. It just sucks.
    Bob

26. Likes yardbird liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well today is the day now.

He went from fine to bad in 1 week, and even worse over the weekend.