What's new
What's new

Deburr internal passageways on manifold

jaguar36

Hot Rolled
I'm working on some hydraulic manifolds with lots of intersecting internal passageways. Some of those are pretty deep in the part and I'm really struggling on how best to deburr them. Currently I'm trying to get in there with a small burr on a dotco, which is very difficult and easy to muck up. Does anyone have any good ways to do this?

Interesting, I've not heard of that but I had been kicking around the idea of just dumping some grit into some oil and just pumping it through. Didn't have a good idea on how to keep the grit suspended and also not just destroy the pump. The putty the Extrudehone uses seems like it would solve the first issue.

Look up a process called thermal deburring. I don't know if it would work on an aluminum part. I made steel and ductile iron hydraulic valve bodies that were sent through the thermal deburring process. The process also removed flash rust.

Would you be able to “sandblast” the parts with dried ice, walnut, or other media? I’m thinking something other than oxide grit, unless you can flush out the passageways.

Another alternative would be a vibratory tumbler with any one of several medias.

I’ve had good results with both of these processes, but also haven’t done something quite as precise as what you’re describing.

I had been kicking around the idea of just dumping some grit into some oil and just pumping it through. Didn't have a good idea on how to keep the grit suspended and also not just destroy the pump.
I think extrudehones use two cylinders, one on each side, then push-pull push-pull push-pull the paste. If there's no resistance it doesn't deburr very hard.

If you have enough parts to do, seems like you could rig something up like that ?

Back in the seventies, we had to clean out some SS radioisotope static mixers with intricate channels. We made up a device using a hydraulic press and another old hydraulic cylinder that had screwed on end caps. We would charge the cylinder by unscrewing the end cap. The abrasive was rock tumbling compound that came in four grades in a kit. We made a "slurry" out of the abrasive and white lithium grease. We used the press to compress the loaded cylinder and force the slurry through the mixer. It worked.

How about a twisted wire deburring brush? basically just chuck it up in a battery drill or in-situ on the machine and run it down the hole.

Back