What's new
What's new

Deburring Kovar

jclobo

Plastic
New to the forum. Thanks in advance for your help and experience.

I have some relatively small Kovar parts (~1" x 1" square with square center cutout to wall thickness .040", height .070", smallest hole is .032") that require deburring after finishing on the CNC. Material is annealed and pretty gummy, so we watch close and use sharp tools to minimize burrs, then deburring tools on the CNC. Those backside burrs are still there, though.

In the past we have deburred everything by hand because of the surface finish and tolerance requirements, but the volume has picked up and we need a more efficient way of deburring. I've used rotary and vibratory tumblers in the past for various deburring/cleaning/polishing tasks, but one big challenge with this one seems to be finding the right media, a balance between removing burrs and scratching or removing too much material in other areas.

Vibratory and rotary take longer in comparison to centrifugal disc, but we already have those machines and a CD is $$$$ by comparison. If we can identify the right media with the rotary and/or vibratory tumblers, we may look at a CD down the road to reduce cycle time, but that's a ways away.

Does anyone have any experience with media deburring of Kovar? Or maybe 303 (they seems relatively close on material properties & machining characteristics)?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

One of the toughest jobs in vibratory finishing is small parts out of tough metals like Stainless steel. (I've never done any Kovar.) Ultimately the best way is high energy. (Centrifugal disc or centrifugal barrel.) The reason for this is small parts require small media. And small media just isn't man enough to cut tough metals. It just doesn't have enough mass. That's why you use high energy. To put some G's on it and make the media act like it's heavy enough to cut it. With parts that small freight won't be bad. I would look for a job shop to run them for you until you get a CD or a Harperizer.

Rick Seeman
Vibratory Finishing Mass Finishing Ball Burnishing Deburring Media Compound Equipment

If your parts are small and delicate, we suggest centrifugal disc finishing machine
The process is faster and gives smoother surface finishing than vibratory finishing machine
Rotary barrel tumbler takes a much longer time.

In your case, your parts are a relatively big one, so vibratory finishing machine is a good choice.
You can check parts surface condition anytime from the vibratory bowl.

You can find our technical blog regarding vibratory deburring

EG was on Earnest123's profile page. In the last two days.
Yeah, Goldstein doesn't come here anymore. The place is infested with idiots in brown shirts, and the only thing you get for trying to talk sense into their thick skulls is flag-waving, screaming and fascist venom. Plus they don't know shit about machining and couldn't drill two halfass deep holes in a straight line (hint : try parabolic flute drills, they've only been around for forty years.)

buuuut .... I've been to inovatec's web site, they are kinda neighbors, and I was surprised. English is good, lots of technical info, the guys offer free sample deburring (maybe not so helpful from 10,000 miles away, but a nice thing anyhow) and they have a much wider variety of machines than I see here. You guys seem stuck on vibrators, which I can understand if you like to rub up against them, but the centrifugal disk machines are much more effective and quieter and faster. This place has a benchtop one with interchangeable barrels that I'd like for myself, except the stuff we've been doing these days is 3 meters in diameter. It's a decent website. Not PhD level (which is good, you people think the more education a person has the more you should berate them, which puzzles me) but a good intro with some info even a non-beginner might find useful.

Someone told me he was putting his foot in it so I swung by. People gave me behavioral hints when I was first screwing up in China (it's a different culture), so I thought I'd return the favor. I don't personally know Ernest123, but the site is helpful and their stuff is more diversified than the ol' standard vibrating noisemakers y'all love. I don't care much for spam either but this guy just got off on the wrong foot. If you look at the posts, they aren't really spam, just too excited. Once upon a time I thought this place was okay, too. I learned different; for your sake I hope Ernest123 doesn't come to that conclusion. If he's a spammer, so is Maritool.

Bye for now. Give my regards to blustering Adolf and the trailer-trash morons.

Uh, no.

Frank doesn't regurgitate old threads to sell his stuff.
Yes, that wasn't a good start. I s'pose you've never screwed up ?

BTW, EG, are you now the CCP recruiter?
Or did they drag you to jail for spreading "rumors" about "the virus"...?? :fight:
You lynched any niggers recently ?

If you ask real nice, for fifty bucks maybe I'll let you suck my dick.

Back