What's new
What's new

Deep Draw help

Micron316

Plastic
Hey guys,

High speed, precision stamper here looking for some info and help on deep draws.

Currently trying to draw a cup with a flange with the following dimensions:

Total height: .080"
Barrel OD: .049"
Barrel ID: .043"
Flange Diameter: .124"
Radius from flange to barrel: .03"
The ID of .043" goes thru the part, there is no "bottom". There is just flange up top with a straight hole thru the part if that makes sense.
Material thickness: .003"
Material type: 304SS

This is my first attempt at making a draw or an eyelet so I am just looking for some general help and or suggestions. All the info I found online was for material with a thickness of atleast .015". It was helpful as helping to find a starting point, but I am hoping to find someone with thin metal draws who can offer real world experience and info.

Thru much R&D and low level tooling, we have eventually drawn the cup to the right height and diameter, unfortunately it took 7 stages of tooling and we do not yet have a hole thru we just have a cup with no hole in the bottom. We also have some minor wrinkling in the flange but after 7 stages it gets ironed out pretty good. The flange diameter is also currently large but we were planning on trimming it last to the right diameter.

My first question is what is the optimal process for a part with these specs? How many stations should it take and what is the optimal draw ratios?
my second question is what kind of lubricant should I be using?

Thanks in advance for any info you guys can offer.

It sounds like you have more than enough stations.

On your first draw , you need to bubble the draw down with enough material to do the entire eyelet.
In this station, you also need to have a draw pad with heavy springs and an adjustable standoff to eliminate wrinkles.....NO WRINKLES!

From then on, it's just a matter of conforming to the final form, gradually.

Lots of polishing and lapping, as you already know.

The pierce will be a little tricky, pay lots of attention to the nest.

Getting that thing off the blankout punch will be a bear, probably need a slug sucker down there.

We do this crap all the time, try to slow down the press, if you can.

PM me for more details.

Back