Deflated, went to look at a Smart & Brown 1024 found the spindle bent. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Should make contact with the taper first but then pull upto the face as well (IIRC its only a few thou tops before the face touches). Its in the D spindle nose spec, has been posted before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the inspection certificate for my 1024 VSL and have scanned the relevant section on the spindle but I am having trouble trying to attach it to this reply. Can someone point me in the right direction please? It is a while since I attached to a reply and I have forgotten how to do it.

The test certificate illustrates the relevant tests with the relevant tolerances and all will be revealed if I can get the scan to attach.

The spindle is very unlikely to be bent. The tests are taken not from the points as shown in the two videos. As you will know, the spindle takes a 5C collet straight up the spout so this is where the tests are taken from. The first test is taken with a centre in the 5C centre sleeve/collet. The second test is taken from the inner surface of the sleeve, the third test is taken from the inner surface of the spindle taper (5C nose taper) and the 4th test is for axial slip.

Smart & Brown give both Schlesingers (metric) and S&B's (Imp) standards and are as follows. 1st test 0.01mm-.00025", 2nd test 0.005mm-0.0002", 3rd test 0.01mm-0.0002", 4th test (clock indicator tested 2 points @ 180 degrees) 0.01mm-0.0002".

There are 3 other tests for the spindle but require a test bar.

If I can attach the scan it will put you on the right track as to the true condition of the spindle.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Peter F if you click reply, go advanced and select manage attachments you'll get a box that you can use to add files. Click that and browse to your image (I copy them to the desktop first so I can find them easily). Once you've added your image just click the 'inseet inline' button and it will be put into your message right where your typing cursor is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Peter,

Here is the scan (after a lot of buggering about). The last time I did it was by using Photo Bucket, long ago!

image.jpg

This should make it clear.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Bent spindles are very rare, certainly in manually operated machines. I can recall repairing a handful.
    I agree, but I've seen some horrendous rigging. I've never been able to find out if they did bend the spindle, but I think the potential was there. From a crash? I find it hard to imagine a crash that bad to bend a piece of steel the spindle diameter. Either way, if it were bent, personally investigate why.