What's new
What's new

Delrin/Ally Machining in the UK for small job

sunnynights

Plastic
Hi,

I recently joined this forum and it has great advice! Thanks everyone! I am very new to machining and slowly building my workshop. I don't have space for a lathe yet but that's the next dream!

In the meantime i need to machine a very small round of delrin (roughly 50mm with a 40mm OD and a 20mm hole in it) but i don't think i can do all the work with just my small tools. I have requested a few quotes from local engineering companies but the quotes are upwards of £50 (which is a bit dear).

Is there anyone online i could try that someone could recommend? I am based in the UK

BW

Good afternoon.

I'm in the UK, & specialze in little one off's like that.

Google Stewarts Motorcycles in Sunbury Middlesex, & give me a call.

Cheers.

Stew.

What’s the companies hourly rate? Jobbing shops that could handle an open tolerance job charge maybe around £40 an hour? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Sometimes it works to just pop into companies and see if they can do it between other jobs.. I needed a large hole drilling in some hot rolled on a radial drill last year and got it done for £20 but had to wait a bit - usually I'd like to do jobs myself but it was too big.

Generally depends what it is/for and the tolerances you require.

Sounds about right to me - my guess is the OP was given a ''go away'' price.

Good morning.

It sounds like he was!

There are a number of people in the UK who are building specials, & find it difficult to find anyone who can make 'one off' spacers & spindles etc, & I get a fair bit of work. My hourly rate is £60 + VAT, (that's London overheads for you). Those who don't appreciate how long manual machining takes often see my quote as unreasonable, & end up going elsewhere.
However, an item such as the OP was enquiring about would take about 5 minutes to make, & as such it would come under the 'beer money' charging rate.

Cheers.

Stew.

Back