What's new
What's new

Demagnetize digital mic

MDH

Cast Iron
I’ve got a couple of digital micrometers that have become magnetized, one a Mitutoyo, the other a Chinese el chepo. How do I demagnetize w/o hurting them?

Thanks

Mike

this one may be tough to get answered because no one would want to tell you something and have it be wrong and help you ruin you mics. that being said i have some mitutoyo digital calpers that i run across the demagnetizer and it hasnt hurt them.

You Missouri fellas got some sort of magnetic issue there?

I have been demagnitizing my digital mic, digital 4,6, and 8" calipers and digital indicator using Enco's standard tabletop demagnetizer with no problems, BUT, I Do not hold them real close to the table and I hold the electronics in my hand, covered as well as I can!. When held with the electronic section facing away from the table, hold it at least 6" above the demag table and swipe it quickly over the table on different angles, swipe it around 4 or 5 times (total in both directions) and you should be fine. I always worry about this myself, but after doing it like this, starting over 15 years ago with an 8" digimatic from Mititoyo, I have never had any problems. Hope your as lucky as I have been, that is, if luck had anything to do with it!!...

mike, do you have an old type electric soldering gun(like a weller) that plugs into the wall? not one of the pencil type but the large(kinda heavy) pistol grip type ones? if so, you have a demagnetizer. simply lay the mic on a piece of wood or similiar type (non magnetic) surface,plug in the soldering gun, the tip has to be intact (basically be able to get hot enough to solder some wiring) pointing the tip away from you(just so you don't get burned) lay the gun on it's side and pull the trigger or turn it on(however it gets energized)come up close to the mic(if you want to, lay a cloth over it so it does not get scratched)with the gun on and on its side,and a close as practically possible, sweep over it in one pass or make a u turn and go back its' length.DON'T TURN IT OFF YET!! now, with the gun well away from the mic, turn it off or release the trigger. this is also used on picture tubes and vehicle roof tops to demagnetize (or degauss) them. ;) ;)

nothing will really hurt the mike. it's not like it has a magnetic strip inside, it reads capacitance as it travels past of a row of little (non-magnetic) metal bars in a board.

Back