What's new
What's new

Demco lathe?

I can't really find much about Demco on google that's why I am asking here. So long as the lathe cuts a range of imperial threads it will suit the use I have for it.

Demco was a company which imported machine tools, much like Hare & Forbes and other current machinery houses. At one stage they handled Deckel's and many of the Deckels in Australia will have a "Demco" plate on them.
The lathe on Gumtree will be Taiwanese or Chinese, looks like round the 1980's and probably more likely to be Taiwanese as Demco ceased to exist round about the time the Chinese lathes started appearing in large quantities.

Peter

Hi anyone know much about this lathe?

Precision Lathe by DEMCO, geared head stock | Miscellaneous Goods | Gumtree Australia Holdfast Bay - Somerton Park | 1064000263

does anyone have one, if so can you please comment on build quality, pros cons, reliability and second hand value.

Thanks

You already asked this question on the local forum, where you were told that Demco were an importer so the name is meaningless WRT finding out who made that lathe. So the chances of getting any extra information on PM except from Aussies are minimal.

You also got told it looked like reasonable value for money and now you've announced it at least twice in separate forums, if someone else buys it while you're thinking about it, that's how things go.

Go look and take cash before someone else does. I wouldn't say it's a screaming bargain but it looks like good value for money - Demco used to import good stuff for industrial users as a rule (they sold a lot of SovBloc stuff including Tos), not sell crap to hobbyists.

PDW

You already asked this question on the local forum, where you were told that Demco were an importer so the name is meaningless WRT finding out who made that lathe. So the chances of getting any extra information on PM except from Aussies are minimal.

You also got told it looked like reasonable value for money and now you've announced it at least twice in separate forums, if someone else buys it while you're thinking about it, that's how things go.

Go look and take cash before someone else does. I wouldn't say it's a screaming bargain but it looks like good value for money - Demco used to import good stuff for industrial users as a rule (they sold a lot of SovBloc stuff including Tos), not sell crap to hobbyists.

PDW

Sorry to offend, I saw not harm in asking here too, there may be other Aussies who are not on the other forum!

Sorry to offend, I saw not harm in asking here too, there may be other Aussies who are not on the other forum!

I'm not at all offended, just I think you're wasting time you should be spending taking a hike and a personal inspection. Take a pile of pictures, put down a holding deposit if possible, then come back & post the pix - that'll give people something better to offer advice on than the one crap picture in the ad.

I'd like you to find a good lathe at an affordable price. One of the keys in doing this - other than spending a metric shitload of money - is to move fast when what looks like a good deal comes along. If you wait until you're certain it is a good deal, good odds it'll be gone. The *second* person to come & look at the Colchester Chipmaster lathe I bought just about broke down & cried but the deal was done..... with cash on the spot and no haggling about the price.

PDW

If you have the guts to call the manufacturer for all these lathes here it is. http://www.sumore.com/products.asp?tyc=6&page=1

They make them up to a 24" x 80" with a 12hp motor. They sell versions on there they export to nowhere else so there are some weird ones. I would imagine quality is a a complete crapshoot as you might imagine.

These are sold in the states as Grizzly.com

btw, these all fall under the off limits on this forum country of origin. Even the large 24" one I would guess.

No the larger machines are fine to talk about here..

Grizzly sells plenty of machines that are OK to discuss here, they just are not the bottom of the barrel models, many home shoppers buy..

The limit is ... NO Home shop sized ~12 to ~13 in swing chinese/ Atlas lathes.. And NO under ~$4000, for equal an model new lathe..

This is to keep the forum to more of a professional level, and avoid countless poor quality home shop machine discussions..

There are other forums which cater directly to home shops...

Back