What's new
What's new

Design and production of flat spring

Mishaois1

Plastic
Hi,

I want to design and produce part that one of its planes will be fixed and the other plane will be used as a spring for small movements (up to 10 degrees)- photo is attached.
I want the spring to be activated from ~200N.
The manufacturing process that i will use is bending.
Spring length is ~30mm
Thickness- 2mm
I am looking for a suitable material that will for this type of applications.
I know that carbon should fit, but at this point i would prefer it to be some kind of steel with simple bending production process.
If someone is experianced with this kind of applications and can share some information regarding the correct material or some informative articles- that would be great!

flate spring.JPG

For a shape like that, you build a 3d model, throw it into a FEA program and adjust material, thickness, length and gusset shape until you have the force and deflection you desire without exceeding the material yield or fatigue strengths.

As the professor told the class on day one of Engineering 100. "Design is an iterative process"

Good luck.

I agree with both Erich and Mechanola; you could more easily have a coil spring (a coil-wound torsion spring) do the job, OR find some flat spring design formulae, say in Machinery's Handbook or in a more targeted mechanical engineering text, estimate material strengths and cross-section, model it in your 3D design software, and do some basic FEA to refine it. Solidworks has some basic FEA included with most of its versions, as does Fusion360.

As Leg17 noted, that gusset looks suspiciously anti-springlike.

Back