Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have guys make them out of wood themselves and then bring them in and I'll make them for time and materials.

Wood will hold the weight and anyone with a garage can whittle it into a shape.

It's just bolt clearance holes on these things, and you can always shim for belt alignment later, or take a piss cut off the bracket or something.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reading between the lines here but my guess is he is trying to run a inverter to power the house ac unit.
    500+ amps of 14 volts dc is not a unrealistic load.
    With all the loss and drag im guessing there could be 50 hp of load on that belt...
    You mentioned gm there are 4 bolt bosses near the balancer on the front of the block.
    I would really try to use those as the basis for a plate to carry bought alternators and the tensioner.
    If my guessing is correct then a serpentine is the way to go. You could do it with v belts but you would need several for that load.

Man I miss this stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are responsible for part of the design (the measurements) then you are responsible for all of the design (specifically, if it works or doesn't work). Put another way, if you provide measurements for a bad design, the you are responsible for the bad design.

Just sayin.

4. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you don't have enough experience to rein in opinionated clients don't take the work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"
    It's just bolt clearance holes on these things, and you can always shim for belt alignment later, or take a piss cut off the bracket or something. "

Oh, the humanity!!!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    If you don't have enough experience to rein in opinionated clients don't take the work.
    i didn't take it in for this. this is what is called an "add-on".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hbjj View Post
    Reading between the lines here but my guess is he is trying to run a inverter to power the house ac unit.
    500+ amps of 14 volts dc is not a unrealistic load.
    With all the loss and drag im guessing there could be 50 hp of load on that belt...
    You mentioned gm there are 4 bolt bosses near the balancer on the front of the block.
    I would really try to use those as the basis for a plate to carry bought alternators and the tensioner.
    If my guessing is correct then a serpentine is the way to go. You could do it with v belts but you would need several for that load.

Man I miss this stuff!
    you're close. his plan is to discard 2 roof a/c's and install 2 dc 48v mini splits (hanging off the bumper), installing a $8k 48v battery that needs special charging. he doesn't need more than a [email protected] alternator so a v-belt would be sufficient but he wants ribbed or serpentine because that's what his boat has. according to him this high zoot battery will power the a/c's for weeks without charging so i don't see the point of the engine driven 48v alternator - assuming he is correct. it can charge off the solar panels he intends to install and from shore power or gen

(it's not a chebbie)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I keep a portable CMM unit with me at all times. Cell phone camera and take pic with a ruler or two in the pic next to part. Import the image into a CAD as an image and scale image to be correct with model space. Will not get you tenths, but often a useable part to start with.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    "
    It's just bolt clearance holes on these things, and you can always shim for belt alignment later, or take a piss cut off the bracket or something. "

Oh, the humanity!!!!
    LOL I've been doing race car stuff for a while.