What's new
What's new

Desperate need of help - Looking for 17-4 H1100 ASAP

TCasals

Plastic
So I officially won the shopwide f*ckup of the year award and get myself into one of them pickles where you need something immediately or you probably lose your job. I have parts I need done Wednesday for an inspection or we will miss a very big deadline (system delivery the following monday, no way to hydrotest after Wednesday because of the holiday). Unfortunately, I called for the wrong stock and now we have a bunch of undersized bar. I know this is probably fruitless, but I need 4 pieces of SA-564 17-4PH in H1100 that are 6.5" OD or bigger and 6.75" or longer, and a fifth piece from the same heat/heat treatment batch for tensiles and notch coupons. Or 4 pieces and test results post-heat-treat.

Right now my best timeline looks like Monday morning we find some bar locally (northeast), drive to pick it up, bring it somewhere for heat treat while we wait, cut samples to mail out for same day mechanical testing on Tuesday, and concurrently machine the parts Tuesday for inspection on Wednesday. Since it is highly unlikely that I will be able to line all of that up, and I have yet to find anyone in the country that carries this stuff in heat treated condition, my last hope is that one of you fine gentlemen has a job that doesn't have as immediate a deadline with the same stock and we can work something out. Help me PMers, you're my only hope.

So I officially won the shopwide f*ckup of the year award and get myself into one of them pickles where you need something immediately or you probably lose your job. I have parts I need done Wednesday for an inspection or we will miss a very big deadline (system delivery the following monday, no way to hydrotest after Wednesday because of the holiday). Unfortunately, I called for the wrong stock and now we have a bunch of undersized bar. I know this is probably fruitless, but I need 4 pieces of SA-564 17-4PH in H1100 that are 6.5" OD or bigger and 6.75" or longer, and a fifth piece from the same heat/heat treatment batch for tensiles and notch coupons. Or 4 pieces and test results post-heat-treat.

Right now my best timeline looks like Monday morning we find some bar locally (northeast), drive to pick it up, bring it somewhere for heat treat while we wait, cut samples to mail out for same day mechanical testing on Tuesday, and concurrently machine the parts Tuesday for inspection on Wednesday. Since it is highly unlikely that I will be able to line all of that up, and I have yet to find anyone in the country that carries this stuff in heat treated condition, my last hope is that one of you fine gentlemen has a job that doesn't have as immediate a deadline with the same stock and we can work something out. Help me PMers, you're my only hope.

You prolly should start lookin for a job......

The main issue is the size in my mind... You can buy H1150 stock from McMaster up to 4" OD, but not larger unfortunately...

On the plus side heat-treating 17-4 is pretty quick and only really requires a simple atmosphere furnace, so if you find a heat-treat place that will work with you getting it done on Monday us definitely feasible.

If you can find someone that stocks the annealed bar ready for pickup on Monday I think you'll be fine, but it sure does sound like a stressful situation!

Everyone makes mistakes, it's how we recover from them that lets us distinguish ourselves. Best of luck!

Can you substitute 15-5 for 17-4? It expands availible material options. we substitute 15-5 for 17-4 and vice versa all the time. will also lower the chances of getting a piece with flaws (always a potential problem with 17-4)

Can you substitute 15-5 for 17-4? It expands availible material options. we substitute 15-5 for 17-4 and vice versa all the time. will also lower the chances of getting a piece with flaws (always a potential problem with 17-4)

Unfortunately we don't have time to rerun the FEA on the part, otherwise I'm sure 15-5 would work

Unfortunately we don't have time to rerun the FEA on the part, otherwise I'm sure 15-5 would work

You don't have to run FEA, if you look in Mil_Hndbk 5 the properties are virtually identical, at the same heat treat temps. Also the Heat treatment is the same for either mat'l

15-5 and 17-4 H1100 Ftu = 140ksi, e= 14%.

Just tossing this out there, because I don't know the answer.

Can you not find big 17-4 in an H1150 because the cross section is too
big? And nobody is willing to risk the center being 'not to spec'.

Personally, I'd be a bit suspect of getting a uniform heat treat through
a 6" bar, regardless of material..

Then again.. If all they care about is the paperwork. Just make sure my check don't bounce.

You don't have to run FEA, if you look in Mil_Hndbk 5 the properties are virtually identical, at the same heat treat temps. Also the Heat treatment is the same for either mat'l

15-5 and 17-4 H1100 Ftu = 140ksi, e= 14%.

It's a code requirement, not a functional one unfortunately. This is for a Div 3 vessel so we need full fracture and fatigue analysis. Yield doesn't tell the whole story but more importantly the inspector needs to see the material listed on the MDR plots.

Atlantic is my first call tomorrow morning, those guys are great and we do a ton of business with them. I am almost certain that they won't have anything in the Attleboro yard though and getting it from Jersey will mean missing the HT deadline probably. I'll try Admiral but I thought they were more non-ferrous focused.

Just tossing this out there, because I don't know the answer.

Can you not find big 17-4 in an H1150 because the cross section is too
big? And nobody is willing to risk the center being 'not to spec'.

Personally, I'd be a bit suspect of getting a uniform heat treat through
a 6" bar, regardless of material..

Then again.. If all they care about is the paperwork. Just make sure my check don't bounce.

We regularly make and test parts from 8" round in H1100 and H1025 with no problems. 17-4 is just used in so many different conditions that it seems like yards don't want to tie up big stock in the wrong one.

How long a piece do you need for the tensile coupons?

Yarde has a bunch of off-cut 17-4 in large diameters at their Bristol CT facility. You can't get enough from one heat to do the whole lot, but you might be able to cobble together enough and run multiple test coupons. Based on how much drop they have, they may have longer lengths as well.

Yarde Metals: 17-4PH - RD

Obviously don't order it online, call the guys in Pelham. I usually deal with Gary, not sure who your rep is.

Atlantic saves the day again. Was definitely getting ready to do what some suggested and start looking for a new job. Thank you for the help guys.

Back