What's new
What's new

Delta Rockwell chuck help

FlyingDutchman

Plastic
I recently acquired a Delta Rockwell Lathe that needs some work. It has no chuck, and I would like to find a 3 and 4 jaw for it. It has a tapered spindle and a threaded collar that spins in place to attach the chuck. Where would be a good place to look for these, and about how much will it set me back?
Thanks for any help!

Sounds like your lathe has an L00 spindle nose. You can buy an L00 back plate and fit it to the chuck of your choice, or you might find a chuck with the L00 backplate already on it. Backplates are expensive, starting at about $75 for an imported one. You can also buy a new imported 4-jaw chuck (without the back plate) for about the same price, or you can spend $500 on a high-quality American or European-made chuck, or look around for a used one. How much you need to spend really depends on your intended use and personal preferences. Not sure it's politically correct for me to tell you where to look for the imported stuff as there seems to be some sort of dictum on this site about not discussing Asian-made machinery. For used chucks, you might want to have a look at Plaza Machinery.

Mike

what size Rockwell do you have? i have a 14" it has a 3 3/4" x 6tpi Loo. the next larger size( L 1 according to my chart) is a 4 1/2" x 6. in my months of prowling e-bay i dont recall seeing a rockwell with anything but an loo spindle. McMaster-carr,enco,and victor machinery have chucks and backplates at scary prices. my lathe is an old high school machine in unbelievable good shape that came with a 4-jaw that im learning to use a dial indicator to true up stock. ive just about decided i dont need a 3-jaw because they are more expensive and you cant really fine-tune the runout. that lathe is a good machine especially with the variable-speed drive.

I have some L00 stuff that is excess to my needs.
1. Jacobs L00 collet chuck w/2 metal boxes of collets. $250
2. 8 inch faceplate with L00 mount. $45
If you're interested, send me a PM and I can send some photos.
steve

Thanks for all the help guys. My lathe also came from a shop class from a school, its a little beat up, but hopefully it will prove to be a good one. I need the chucks and a new motor, the one that is in it is 3 phase. I would get a phase converter, but ts only 1 HP so i was just going to get a new motor.

Sounds like you have all the info you need on the chuck so I'll comment on the motor. I suggest you consider a VFD to power the present 3 phase motor. There are plenty of VFDs available that will plug into 220V single phase and provide 3 phase. Plus, you get the variable speed inherent to VFDs. In the HP range you need, the VFD should cost less than a new single phase motor.

I have a Rockwell 11" that came without a motor. So I put in a single phase motor. Later, when I learned about the advantages of 3 phase and built a rotary phase converter, I converted it to 3 phase. Since, I have installed a VFD. It's far superior to single phase, in my opinion.
Jim

I have some L00 stuff that is excess to my needs.
1. Jacobs L00 collet chuck w/2 metal boxes of collets. $250
2. 8 inch faceplate with L00 mount. $45
If you're interested, send me a PM and I can send some photos.
steve

Have a 1959 Delta Rockwell Lathe, would like to fit a chuck - 3-jaw or 4-jaw
Please send any info to me - [email protected]
Thanks,
Ed

Back