What's new
What's new

Determining How Much Lubricant Needed For Stamping

capocoreyollo

Aluminum
Hello,

Im developing a system for lubricating coil, continuously feeding through a stamping press/die on a roll forming line. The last guy just got some HF pump hooked up to 55 gallon drums at each press, basically flood coolant to the top of the coil as it enters the press. So much waste/mess, and no lubrication to the bottom of the coil. I would like to be able to feed 4 stamping lines from one central location, and im trying to figure out what size pump/GPM's I would need to provide to each press. Is there any trick to sizing such a thing?

In my ignorance, i'd assume the amount of lubricant needed would be determined by the surface area of the material and the rate at which its feed through the die such that ideally, a uniform film would cover both top and bottom surfaces of the coil?

Or does it have to do with the actual punching/ perimeters of the total punching/time?

Material is 3.375" x .025 galvanized steel coil, air fed, through a 35 ton press. I can take a photo of the strip to show the punch pattern if necessary.

I plan on building felt roller lubricators as they seem to be what the industry does. Anyone know where a guy can find ~3" round felt x 5" or so long?

Any continuous metal stamping guys have any incite on the matter?

Thanks,
Corey

I'm pretty sure you can purchase the whole unit ready to go.
No need to re-invent the wheel.

I agree Digger Doug, got a couple RFQ's out in the works, but depending on price, I have a feeling the brass will want me to just make some up. I generally have much more time and resources than up front capital around here too.

Im also all about the learning experience so if a can learn something and have it documented up here on the forum for anyone else in the future, all the better!

Having experience with this the one piece of advice I can offer is you need a lot less lubricant than you think. If there is enough lubricant so you can leave a thumbprint that is about right. Most places like to put it on so that it is running across the floor. Also think about cleaning it off after the parts are made.

Back