What's new
What's new

Devilbiss Air Compressor Pump - a BIG one!

Gauge

Aluminum
I have an old BIG Devilbiss air pump that was removed from a compressor in a very old body shop near my house. It's a two piston single stage compressor that weighs about 250 to 300 pounds. It was working when it was removed and seems to still work OK now. Tag says model number 235. A 5HP motor used to drive it.

I have three questions:

1. Can anyone tell me anything about this compressor - age, specs, anything.....

2. It looks like this compressor had some sort of a self oiling mechanism that's been disconnected. There is a small pipe on the side of the compressor and another on the rear bearing. Does anyone know how this is suppossed to work as I would like to get it working the way it was designed to.

3. I think it might be a good idea to hold on to this air pump - especially since this pump alone weighs more than entire compressors I've seen at Lowes or Home Depot. Is it possible to get a rebuild kit for it? Even if it's just the gaskets - so I could tear it down, clean it completely and then put it back together. Why is it that the compressor pump on my 60 gallon Sanborn Black Max is just a fraction of the size of this Devilbiss compressor?

Anyone have any thoughts? I know you guys are always helpful when it comes to anything old and made of iron. Thanks for your help....

Why is it that the compressor pump on my 60 gallon Sanborn Black Max is just a fraction of the size of this Devilbiss compressor?

[FONT=&quot]Because they run it at five times the speed, so it'll wear out ten times faster. [/FONT]:willy_nilly:

[FONT=&quot]I always liked those old cast iron monster air compressors, their sound at their leisurely RPM was kind of soothing. :cloud9: They'll last about forever. Just don't use the antique tank.

Dennis
[/FONT]

The pipe that appear to go to your rear bearing is in fact a part of the unloader valve. It's easier to use a pressure switch with the unloader built in when you put it back in service. I believe that pump has been discontinued.
All the best

The pipe that appear to go to your rear bearing is in fact a part of the unloader valve. It's easier to use a pressure switch with the unloader built in when you put it back in service. I believe that pump has been discontinued.
All the best

Klemchuk - Thanks for the response. So those pipes are NOT for a self oiling mechanism? I assumed that there was some sort of mechanical oil pump inside which pumped oil out the side and pushed it through the rear bearing with each stroke - but I was only guessing.... Does that mean the pump is splash lubricated?

So that fact that it's disconnected is not problematic?

I've got a Devilbliss from the 50's. It's a nice little unit and, from the looks of it, it's a Model 220. Thanks, Jim. I've been to Devair's site before, but didn't see the PDF's you linked too.

I second the unloader info from klemchuck. That's what my "little tube" is. Spin the pump by hand, if it's spinning slowly air will push and pull from the unloader.

Parts. Hahaha. Good luck. Rebuild? Why? Does it need it?

Mine just chugs away, 1/3 the speed of the new ones, and 1/4 the noise. She'll will make air all day if you ask it to, and I have. I'll post a few pics upon request.

Regards,

Doug S.

Might be similar to a 236, the manual for which is here:

http://www.dvair.ca/index.php/documents/pump-specifications

Jim - Thanks for sending that. Based on the measurements, (length, width and height), my pump is about 30% to 40% larger than the 240. However, my pump is single stage. The 240 is two stage.

I called Devilbiss and they said the pump was too old for them to know anything about it. They told me to call a company in Chicago that has a bunch of old timers working there that would be able to help me. The company is called Phillips Air Compresor.

Well I should have gone to bed, but I need to let my toe air out a bit... so.

Try, http://notforsale.net/old_iron/list.php?dir=/pics/devilbliss , for a list of pictures.

The pictures with the "_w" should be clicked, unless you've got a super fast connection.

Jim had me so excited, being that the 220 pictures looked a bit like my 330. =(
I guess I don't need pictures to know what it looks like.

Enjoy,

Doug S.

Attachments

• angle_view_w.jpg
    angle_view_w.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 26,199
IMG_20120622_125953 copy.jpgIMG_20120622_130023 copy.jpgIMG_20120622_130047 copy.jpgAny life on this thread? I've had a Devilbiss 220 for a number of years & it has a buncha plumbing up top that opens the cylinders up when a set pressure is reached. Whatever controls that action is sticking. Is it the thing in the middle picture sticking up out of the output manifold & if so can I take it apart & lube it & reassemble it safely?
Thanks
Justin

That's the unloader.

Probably has rust inside it and needs taken care of..... I have a Quincy compressor that was "sticking" and it wouldn't let the cylinder compress on one side. It was rusty as heck from moisture in the air. I soaked the cast iron pieces in some sort of acid, which ate the rust off the iron. Reassembled it and it's still working good today!

The other "caps" on the head should have the valves underneath them.

Cool. Makes sense. Just wanted to take the right thing apart. I'll just disassemble & lay it out, clean, then reassemble in the reverse order. Haven't been able to find any info about the unloader anywhere, I guess it may be an add on.
Thanks
Justin

hey guys joe here, I'm new here but i restore these old compressors and have done many devilbisses. post a picture of it and I will tell you what it is. The unloader on alot of the old DEV's is also a crankcase ventilator they call it a CPR you dont need it but if you decide not to use it you will need to verify that the head gasket has a small hole in it that connects the crankcase to the low pressure intake side of the head to provide crankcase ventilation. Do not use 30wt oil in a deviliss unless it is completely worn out the interior tollerences are very tight and the call for the use of 10wt below 32degrees and 20wt from 32 to 100 for most models made from the 50's through the 80's. you can order this weight compressor oil from a company called AMS Oil. or from many internet compressor parts suppliers. If you want to know any more email me [email protected]

one more thing it is probably pressure lubricated but not by a pump but by a concentric ring fed oiling system. if you send me ssome pictures of it I will tell you how hard its gonna be to get valve parts before you remove those caps and take the valves out for a cleaning. I know alot of people respect quincy as the best compressors but I have been in so many that I have to say the old devillbises are the best. i have heard complaints from quincy owners about valve rust being an issue on occasional use compressors but not a devilbiss, the valve bodies are solid brass.

I recently got a 220, and found out that the exhaust valves had broken.
Question: Devildiss don't stock parts so where or how do I recreate the valves?
Seems it's a washer, can I just have a couple made?, same diameters and thickness?
Any thoughts?
Bob

Back