What's new
What's new

Diamond files for glass?

magneticanomaly

Titanium
We occasionally have to shape a piece of glass, and at the moment are replacing panes in a lot of old slightly distorted windows. We order a pane of the correct dimensions on the fond assumption that the opening is rectilinear, then discover that 1/16" has to come off opposite corners. Too little to score and break.

I assume a die grinder will crack the pane by thermal shock. We have used a SiC rubbing block, which is very slow and chips the edges badly.

Is a diamond file the way to go? How coarse? Anyone have a source for good quality, reasonable price?

Thanks!

We occasionally have to shape a piece of glass, and at the moment are replacing panes in a lot of old slightly distorted windows. We order a pane of the correct dimensions on the fond assumption that the opening is rectilinear, then discover that 1/16" has to come off opposite corners. Too little to score and break.

I assume a die grinder will crack the pane by thermal shock. We have used a SiC rubbing block, which is very slow and chips the edges badly.

Is a diamond file the way to go? How coarse? Anyone have a source for good quality, reasonable price?

Thanks!

easiest way to do it is an inland glass grinder

next cheaper is grozer pliers

next is to order your glass oversize and cut to size

die grinder w/diamond bit will be fine if you do it under water

A local glass blower has a grinder with a wheel on a vertical shaft set in a table. You could adjust it so the wheel is only a few thousandths above the table and slide the pane across it.

The stained glass window shop next to mine has a grinder similar to the ones woodworkers use with a wheel about 3/4" dia., a couple inches long, that moves vertically, stroking up and down so it doesn't leave lines on the edges.

A local glass and mirror shop makes things like 5 ft round glass table tops with beveled edges. I have never gotten in their shop in the back, but they certainly have the capability.

It would be too long a drive to bring your panes here, but there likely are similar shops in your area.

Bill

Glass is actually pretty tough and can be worked well if you keep the heat down. I have taken off 1/16" of a large sheet with a belt sander. I watched a guy cut down a windshield for a custom car with a side grinder. I thought the thing was going to blow up any second but it worked fine.

Start with a 100 grit diamond wheel and a 360 grit will give a smooth enough edge finish afterwards. Optometry labs have what's basically a bench grinder with these diamond wheels and a metal tray under the wheel with a soaking wet sponge in it. The wet sponge contacts the bottom of the diamond wheel and keeps it wet and lets the glass dust and water fling off the wheel to keep it from clogging. There is a wheel guard to catch the water spray flung off the wheel and direct it into the tray. It's similar to a lapidary "cabbing" machine.

Diamond Wheels - Plated - 6 Dia x 1-1/2 Wide - 100 Grit

Save yourself a bit of bother, make a template for the glass, appatures are seldom square, if your reall up a creek then a belt sander with silicon carbide works for me, slow I’m afraid but hay ho.
Problem with fileing is all the jagged stress raiser type things, Windows are more prone to crack, not a good outcome.
Mark

+1 on the grozing pliers- that's what they are intended for.
The pane needs to be 1/8" slack all the way around in an ideal world.

I *just* used an small orbital sander to remove glass. It doesn't go very quickly, so if you have many, it will take forever. It WILL clean up a jagged edge, and give edges a very nice finish. 80 and 100 grit were used.

I did Dremel a line off- It also works- as you guessed, varying to the degree of your patience.

I just use an ordinary pair of electricians pliers, to nibble the edge away, then smooth with 80 or 100 grit cloth backed abrasive paper, you can actually use a belt dander or a linisher if you have one, just to remove the sharp edges, easy job, no need for fancy equipment, practice nibbling on a bit of scrap glass, there is a knack to it!

I am sure that a diamond file would work, but would probably be dead slow.

I would just get a belt sander, one with an unsupported section of belt and sand them down there. A 100 grit belt would be where I would start if the glass is thin, 50 or 80 grit if thicker.

DO wear safety glasses, PLEASE!

Back