What's new
What's new

Diamond steel cutting blades for angle grinders

Bill D

Diamond
I was in Hoe Depot yesterday and I saw they have angle grinder blades which are diamond grit. They are designed to cut metal. Any one used one. I would think they would burn off the diamonds. Cost around $30.
Bill D.

I was in Hoe Depot yesterday and I saw they have angle grinder blades which are diamond grit. They are designed to cut metal. Any one used one. I would think they would burn off the diamonds. Cost around $30.
Bill D.

diamonds cutting steel bad is carbon from diamonds is absorbed by hot steel. CBN usually used for steel. looks similar. of course they still might sell diamond grit to people who dont know any better.

Bill D.

Diamonds only go wonky with Iron and its alloys if they get HOT enough. I've used these slotted Diamond-grit blades most recently in a vanilla angle-grinder to "right NOW" saw a largish square of sh**t metal out of the back of a US-Made Maytag heavy-duty washing machine too wide and too deep to fit though our Kong Kong flat's kitchen door.

That allowed pushing all the protruding plumbing teats back into the body without need of a teardown and time to disconnect them from the inside. Alleged-designer idjuts din't have their collective heads in perpetual rectal defilade, that back panel shudda mounted the water inlet teats in a well to begin with.

Saw spits some right nasty debris, otherwise takes no prisoners.

Thutty bucks barely buys a decent supper-out, and you KNOW that is going to turn to shit even before you sit down to table. Enjoy it before it gets to that stage. Same again with blades. Consumables, the both of them, and not worth bellyaching over in advance. "JFDI".

Bill D.

I have one 125mm Lenox Metalmax for angle grinder.

Pros:
+ makes slightly less mess than ordinary wheel
+ cuts also carbide/ceramics/stone
+ seem to wear down extremely slow. I have used mine only for special occasions but some reviews say that it last as long as 10-30 ordinary wheels
+-doesn't explode

Minuses:
-about half the cutting speed compared good similar thickness "ordinary" wheel. Even in very hard steels like hardened Seco WKE45 HSS-CO the ordinary cutting wheel is faster. Lenox is only faster in tungsten carbide and ceramics.
-vibrates more than ordinary disk and as it doesn't wear down much it keeps vibrating and "banging"
-doesn't explode but because of that if the wheel binds suddenly it results workpiece or angle grinder flying off-tangent or slamming your hands.

I bought the Lenox ones and I only bought them for notching aluminum. Since you can't use a standard cutting wheel then weld alum, this is an OK alternative. They are very loud, at least in aluminum.

I haven't used it for steel, and I don't really plan to.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Got a lennox, can confirm its a bit slower on the cut speed but it does indeed cut steel and stainless fairly well. I do not have enough use on it at the moment to confirm/deny longevity claims, but it seems like its holding up OK for the little use I've given it.
Biggest + for me is the smell, I hate the smell of abrasive cutoff wheels. These things just smell like burning metal.

I tried a home Depot one cutting 270ksi high carbon steel tails and it didn't last very long before it wouldn't cut anymore, heard good things about the Lenox ones but haven't tried any again.

Tried most if not all of the brands at big box stores. The ones with the pictures of the diamonds on the wheel were slightly better.
Big plus: no wheels shattering.
Plus: less mess, less stink.

Minuses: Noisy. Very noisy. They wear very quickly in thicker metal.

i got 5" hand held metal cutting circular saw with tungsten carbide blade from HF which they stopped selling.
i found if i get a 5" wood cutting construction blade for occasional nails it actually cuts 1/4 steel plate fairly good. that is $5 blade cutting over 10 feet of 1/4" steel plate is like $.50 per foot cut at 10x the speed of a sawsall
sure it damages the tungsten carbide teeth eventually. obviously if get teeth too hot the brazing holding the tungsten carbide on will melt
obviously recommends a face shield and dont exceed max rpm saw blade can take. obviously going too high a rpm and things go flying apart. most metal cutting circular saws go slower or 1/2 the rpm of wood saws AND the guarding around blade is stronger AND got to watch fine metal chips not getting inhaled into the motor brushes
HF sells a double bladed metal cutting circular saw looks like a grinder. double bladed i believe suppose to be less grabbing that is less saw wants to catch part and go flying out of your hands
the old 7" HF metal cutting circular saw has a lot of hp got to hang on with both hands. thats the one it is better if cutting 4 x 8 foot steel and aluminum plates like 1/4" thick if cutting a lot of. got to let saw cool off every so often. cutting steel plate like cutting plywood is hard work. also got to support both halves. can easily break your foot if 50lbs or heavier plate falls on you foot. cuts like cutting wood but it aint wood, got to remember that

Back