What's new
What's new

Diamond wheel doesn't fit on new baldor 500 grinder!

zamboni2354

Cast Iron
Hey guys. I just received a new Baldor 500 tool grinder. I took the wheels off my old Delta and put the regular wheel on one side and was going to put the diamond wheel on the other side but it wouldn't go on. I tried both sides. I then ordered a norton diamond wheel and it also wouldn't go on. I measured the norton ID at 1.250. I then measured the hub on the grinder. One side was 1.251 and the other 1.2505 i think. Seems to me the hub should be slightly smaller than the hub? The green wheel with its 1/8 plate backing did fit, barely, but the thicker aluminum on the diamond wheels just wouldn't go. I called baldor and they told me to call the distributor. Has anyone ran into an issue like this?
a9130edff0a84859f5fd10677734de6f.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Warm up the wheel.....!!!!!

And never try to remove it if you shrink it on.

You need hubs that fit standard wheels and up to .001" loose will not cause a problem, so turn the diameters to fit the diamond wheels. It is the faces of the wheels that must run true, not the periphery, so check them with a test indicator before you do anything to the grinder. Can you return it free?

I got my new Baldor and stand around 1985 or so. The faces of the hubs wobbled, so I had to remove them and true them in a lathe on a special mandrel I made. I had paid truck shipping from California and did not want to pay to return the thing. I don't think the hub diameters were oversize, but it was a long time ago, and my wheels certainly fit OK now.

I was never that fond of the Baldor and pretty much stopped using it when I got a good used Leonard Kool Grind oscillating low speed grinder. Then I got a Glendo Accu-Finish Series I and have done almost all my lathe tool sharpening on it for years.

Larry

Is there some reason you can't just turn the damn grinder on, and apply some abrasive cloth to the shaft and sand it down a bit? This paranoia that people have about 'the factory fit must be right' is absurd. Yeah, it wasn't perfect from the get go, but what is? Make it fit your needs.

Reminds when I got a 10" Baldor grinder and it was sold as is. Wouldn't start. Found the reason why. The housing for the left side wheel was not right. The hole for the motor shaft was touching the housing hole. Just enlarged the hole with a wooden dowel and 180 grit sand paper. How could something like that pass a Q.A. test.

And never try to remove it if you shrink it on.

You need hubs that fit standard wheels and up to .001" loose will not cause a problem, so turn the diameters to fit the diamond wheels. It is the faces of the wheels that must run true, not the periphery, so check them with a test indicator before you do anything to the grinder. Can you return it free?

I got my new Baldor and stand around 1985 or so. The faces of the hubs wobbled, so I had to remove them and true them in a lathe on a special mandrel I made. I had paid truck shipping from California and did not want to pay to return the thing. I don't think the hub diameters were oversize, but it was a long time ago, and my wheels certainly fit OK now.

I was never that fond of the Baldor and pretty much stopped using it when I got a good used Leonard Kool Grind oscillating low speed grinder. Then I got a Glendo Accu-Finish Series I and have done almost all my lathe tool sharpening on it for years.

Larry
Thanks Larry! I'll check the trueness of the flange!

Is there some reason you can't just turn the damn grinder on, and apply some abrasive cloth to the shaft and sand it down a bit? This paranoia that people have about 'the factory fit must be right' is absurd. Yeah, it wasn't perfect from the get go, but what is? Make it fit your needs.
Because your post has not a single exclamation ! point ! in ! it !

Hooray !

Here ya go Doug, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and in bold !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Thank you....but it's still lacking...

IT NEEDS TO BE BIGGER AND DARKER ! ! !

Not to interfere with you gentlemen's chatting, but I've never understood reluctance to modify a tool. It's not the Mona Lisa. Would take ten minutes to polish down the spindle. Done. Next job.

Back to your regular programing.... ;-)

Lucky7

Not to interfere with you gentlemen's chatting, but I've never understood reluctance to modify a tool. It's not the Mona Lisa. Would take ten minutes to polish down the spindle. Done. Next job.

Back to your regular programing.... ;-)

Lucky7
My main question was if someone else had this problem or if the need to resize was normal for a Baldor tool grinder, it was my first time buying a new one so I wasn't sure. Baldor is suppose to email me the technical drawing and if it's not up to spec then I'll let baldor service center fix. I don't want to run into a warranty issue by messing with it If i don't need too(I'm not sure it would affect the warranty either though lol). If i had bought a used machine i would have done exactly what you're saying and not made the post on here. I guess when i buy something new while not expecting perfection, i do have some expectations. Im fine with the chipped paint, slightly off mount hole for the base, but the wheels it was made to fit not fitting, i was not expecting so i thought I'd ask on here because there are so many knowledgeable people. When i buy a new car i expect it to ride nice and not need the axles modified to use it, i expect my new cell phone to hold a charge...initially lol, etc. And maybe since it was a $1,200 Baldor and not 200 harbor freight my expectations were set too high..lol

When i buy a new car i expect it to ride nice and not need the axles modified to use it, i expect my new cell phone to hold a charge...initially lol, etc. And maybe since it was a $1,200 Baldor and not 200 harbor freight my expectations were set too high..lol
I can only imagine if you would have said that you bought 200$ HF TC grinder and had 0.001" oversize spindles... :D
"Why didn't you buy a proper tool like Baldor instead of chinese shit" .. "Totally unacceptable, my baldor spindles are accurate to 0.00001"" and so on :D

The Baldor drive flanges on mine were not true. The hub diameter was also large. It is unfortunately all too common, but do not compare the Baldor with the Chinese copies sold by MSC or Harbor freight. They are truly cockeyed, but much cheaper. Again, it is worth the time to disassemble, straighten and balance everything. These series 500 grinders are very good, but like Larry says, they have to be "Tuned".

On a related issue, the cost of diamond wheels for these things is horrendous, $1000 from Baldor and $600 from MSC is typical. The Chinese copies sold by Sharp don't fit and are screw centric. I have a thread out there on this issue and my solution. I found a Chinese source that makes these wheels and they custom made exactly what I needed in the grit I wanted for $150 plus $40 mail cost.

Back