What's new
What's new

die lubricant for forming galvanized steel?

wddanie

Plastic
Can anyone recommend a die lubricant for forming a galvanized steel tube? We have a hydraulic swaging machine that slightly swages a tube to grip a bearing, but when we do this with a steel tube with a zinc coating, the tube will often stick in the die and foul up the operation of our automated manufacturing cell. We do not use a lube with bare steel tube and have no sticking problem. I hope someone else may have a favorite die lube for forming galvanized steel sheet and I would like to give that a try.

Thanks for your help,

Doug

Zinc is often considered a lubricant. I don't have any experience with forming anything other than EG.

I don't remember the exact name of it what we used for die tryout but it was as good as you can get. The generic term for it was "Deep Drawing Compound", I am guessing you could find something that would work if you google that.

Be forewarned on the use of stamping/drawing lubricants, they have a fairly strong odor compared to regular machining coolants. They also will build up a thick oily layer on your machine that is going to be a nightmare to try and cleanup.

Even with good lubricant, I have found that galvanized material tends to loose some of the galvanization under high pressure forming. After a while you are left with a disgusting slew of oily compound and microscopic zinc flakes.

Baum's castorine in rome by makes something. I. Have used dawn in a forming operation where the part is powder coated afterwards and the previous lithium spray grease wasnt washing off enough.

Back