What's new
What's new

difference between 4140 prehard, 4140 HT, and 4140 TGP

fettersp

Aluminum
Hello all,

I have a job that wants 4140PH and was wondering what exactly the difference between these are?
I have enough stock for 3/4 of the job but was wondering if I could use 4140 TGP since I have a bar of it that has been sitting for years.??

Why would annealed have lead?

Doesn't that crap cause cancer in California? :D

Annealed is in its soft state. Heated to its austenitization point and then cooled slowly so it is soft, normalized is heated and then allowed to air cool and depending on the alloy could be about the same as annealed or much harder. It could be heat treated to meet specs but would likely cost more than new material. Prehard, Heat treat, Quenched and tempered, Commercial heat treat......all different ways of saying the same thing. Usually it is in the mid to low 30s but not always. If the job calls out hardened material it should call out a hardness spec.....

I must be thinking 4140l? I remember someone telling me it had lead in it to make it easier to machine.
I'm just confused on 4140 a bit. Is annealed the same as PH or can it be interchangeable??

I must be thinking 4140l? I remember someone telling me it had lead in it to make it easier to machine.
I'm just confused on 4140 a bit. Is annealed the same as PH or can it be interchangeable??

Annealed would be softer than prehard. Not sure how much but that should be easy info to find. My understanding is that lead is added so chips get broken up easily to avoid long stringy chips.
Do they have a hardness spec on the print? Or will it go to heat treat?

TGP (turned, ground, polished) is a surface finish. It says nothing about the material or the hardness condition.

4140 annealed does not contain any significant amount of lead. Annealed is usually about 10Rc in hardness. The pre-hardened versions usually range from ~26 Rc to 32 Rc - depending on where you get it.

TGP means turned ground and polish. Says nothing about hard. Could be dead soft or 50+.
What do your hardness files or Rockwell tester say?
If specked as pre-hard the part is very unlikely bound for heat treat as that would be silly and hard to control.
I'd consider mixing your laying around stock on a job dangerous but your choice to play the odds.
Bob

No the job says 4140 ph and the heat treat is NA. With no har0dness indication.
All I have in size is annealed, enough for 3/4 in HT, and tgp.

Call the customer and ask. Tell them you have a piece of stock that isn't prehardened that you can make the part(s) from for $X less. They may say no but who cares your not the one buying it they are.

Use the TGP for something more appropriate. Buy the needed pre-hard material, don't mess around when it comes to material callout.

TGP comes in handy a lot. It's usually pretty hard on the OD because of the surface condition. Maybe .025" deep. Use the right material. It's bad mojo to start messing and guessing.

R

what do you mean by "surface condition"? my 1045 tgp is supposed to be hb 180.

Rob F. I'm surprised that you have a problem welding leaded steel. I use 12L14 from time to time since it machines so well. I have had very good results welding it. I can't say as I have ever tried forging it however.

12l14 is generally considered unweldable. I hope none of your parts are critical. I have heard of their success with certain mig wires but my experience has always been hit and miss.

41L40 use to have lead to make it easier to machine. Most mills now add calcium instead.

Slightly OT but in response to some of the comments in this thread - I worked at a shop long ago that used a power hammer to forge parts from 12L14. Zero issues.

Gbent. None of the parts that I make for critical applications use 12L14. 4140 is kind of my go to metal for that sort of thing. I know 12L14 is not considered generally good for welding but I really haven't had any problems with it. I use mig with normal shield gas and the same wire I use for everything else. You do get a bit of splatter but I think that may be the lead component just being blasted out.

Back