What's new
What's new

Dimensions for felt seal groove

Mug

Plastic
Hi all. Looking for some advice on machining dimensions for a felt seal. What I want to do is keep dust out of a fairly large bearing with a 290mm (11.4in) diameter shaft going through it which rotates at 150 rpm. I don't know much about felt seals other than having replaced felt wicks and wipers on a lathe. I know it seems to swell when it's soaked in oil. If you know all about felt seals please share. The material I'm looking to work with is an SAE F-1 grade wool felt with a 6.4mm (0.25in) square cross section. Thank you.

I don't know all about felt seals but I have replaced and installed my share. I would suggest you not over think this. In my opinion, one of the major advantages to felt seals is that they are extremely forgiving as far as dimensions are concerned, If the seal makes fairly good contact then you are good to go.

X 2 on what he said +

IME felt seals when new are always a tightish fit in their grooves, and they swell considerably with the oil up take.

By the same token NOS felt seals can be a royal PITA as they tend to absorb moisture from the atmosphere.

It's my first post to the forum and I didn't expect to get such quick replies. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll cut the groove size for size and be done with it.

Back