What's new
What's new

Diodes

ced_will

Plastic
Hey guys
After I changed the transistors in my spindle drive (A06B-6055-h422), I connect a wire to the wrong location and it blew out one of the 6 small diodes that is connected to capacitors.

Does anyone know of a work around until it get the diode in next week?20181207_121527.jpg15442450234147392877417022739297.jpg

Probably no workaround.... There are usually no unnecessary parts in a drive. Possibly someone with detailed knowledge of that drive might have an idea.

That is a fairly substantial sort of rectifier diode, blowing that might have done something else that you do not know about yet, especially if it blew the top off it as you show. I do not think I have ever seen the top blown out of that style of rectifier before, and I have been dealing with electronics for 50 years or so.

I just put 6 new transistors, 3 new scr and a new Pbc on that drive. I really hope I didn't damage them.

You must have had one serious short to pop diodes like that, i second the "be surprised if that's all the damage". I would go as far at this point as to be checking your new transistors for starters. Diodes are normally the toughest bits of power circuitry going. Only viable work around is assemble a collection of smaller diodes to get the same function or find a comparable one in something else. if you have multiple of that drive on the machine, pulling one off something else whilst causing the machine to still be down would at least give you a yay or nay on the success of your previous repairs?

One of the first things you learn when working on power electronics like that is there is no installer fault tolerance, hence you have to double or even triple check every thing prior to flipping the switch. Theres few - no undo's in the electronics repair - install game!

If you happen to have an old alternator laying around you could probably use one of the diodes in a pinch. They are usually pressed into a heat sink so you may have to do some fiddling.

If you happen to have an old alternator laying around you could probably use one of the diodes in a pinch. They are usually pressed into a heat sink so you may have to do some fiddling.

Depends on the voltage rating in his circuit.... was that mentioned? Alternator diodes are rated above the absolute minimum that works, but if the battery connection fails, the alternator diodes can still be destroyed by the higher voltage developed....

It's standard to rate rectifier diodes at double the circuit voltage if possible. A spindle drive is probably higher voltage than the rating of any alternator diode.

Back