Dirty power - The lathes are knocking out my air conditioner - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

how much is your time worth?

i think you should try a line reactor in front of the AC unit along with line to line and line to ground capacitors.

but.. is there signal wires that run a long distance from the ac unit to another location? is there an air handler that is powered off a different circuit breaker? your line conditioner is also an isolation transformer and would help solve that problem.

I think you need to call up the manufacturer of the lathe's vfd and talk to them. it may be that various components internally have failed, or are ready to fail further and blow the drive.

can you install a braking resistor and disable regeneration?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A dumb way to check for supply line noise is to put a low value capacitor in series with a speaker across the line. Listen for beeps, woops, kshshs, or screes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by J&H View Post
    So we've tried a few caps line to line with no difference. I got ahold of a Sola HD 5000va line conditioner and have it feeding the AC unit and it's working now, the lathes don't bother it one bit anymore.

The downsides are that the conditioner is fairly loud, not a big deal when the machines are running though and it also pulls about 2 amps continuous. That kinda kills the efficiency of the fancy AC unit. I may wire in a couple switches so it can be bypassed when the lathes aren't running or won't run for a couple days...
    Sola line conditioners are amazing. I worked in a lab in a bay with a 50 ton crane. When they ran the crane all the instrument reading would go berserk. Adding a Sola power conditioner totally eliminated the erratic measurements.