What's new
What's new

Disposing of accumulated engineering equipment- Holdridge radius turning attachment

scollins

Aluminum
I have a lot of engineering equipment accumulated over many years.
I have to face up to the fact that much of it isn't ever going to be used by me and I ought to start disposing of it as my family won't know what to do with it, it would likely end up in a skip. It's very hard letting go of things that are great examples of engineering but are close to obsolete.

I have a Holdridge radius turning attachment in a good strong carry case. I have not used it, it came to me as part of a job lot of equipment from a place that was closing. Model 4D, suitable for 14" + lathes. It is all in excellent condition with all the cutting tools, some never used.

Before I go any further with this does anyone think there would be any demand for this at all?

Yes absolutely. Go to the Tooling For Sale section and post. Some of the guys might give you a little flak for non participation with only 43 posts, but don't worry about it. By your registration date you've been here since almost the start. You may do someone a service if you've got a lot of cool old stuff like that.

just because your getting rid of your physical goods, don't forget to share your knowledge on here, experience is appreciated.....and we won't throw you in the skip

What's a skip?????

Yes absolutely. Go to the Tooling For Sale section and post. Some of the guys might give you a little flak for non participation with only 43 posts, but don't worry about it. By your registration date you've been here since almost the start. You may do someone a service if you've got a lot of cool old stuff like that.

Thanks eK for the advice and encouragement. When you advised posting it on the Tooling for Sale section of PM had you considered I am in England? I suspect there wouldn't be much interest here as most amateur machinists here don't have the large size of lathe that this radius attachment is suitable for, may be different in the USA where space isn't at such a premium.
For professionals I am assuming they use CNC lathes that have rendered
radius attachments obsolete. I may try ebay to see what, if any interest there is. I could try Tony's site (lathes. uk) as he hosts advertisements, just need to bundle a few small items together to justify the charges.

Thanks eK for the advice and encouragement. When you advised posting it on the Tooling for Sale section of PM had you considered I am in England? I suspect there wouldn't be much interest here as most amateur machinists here don't have the large size of lathe that this radius attachment is suitable for, may be different in the USA where space isn't at such a premium.
radius attachments obsolete. I may try ebay to see what, if any interest there is. I could try Tony's site (lathes. uk) as he hosts advertisements, just need to bundle a few small items together to justify the charges.

But somehow...posting in the general section makes your quest better ?....:nutter:
The tooling for sale section IS the proper place.
Regardless of your location.

As I recall, there are quite a few UK members here as well. And if you have some more unique items and are willing to bundle them for good prices, I would bet that some of them would sell to the U.S. guys even with the extra shipping.

just because your getting rid of your physical goods, don't forget to share your knowledge on here, experience is appreciated.....and we won't throw you in the skip

What's a skip?????

A UK form of "portable gold mine"... if you are really, real poor.. or even just a genuine card-carrying packrat.

Best to AVOID those back of Chinese take-outs or Paki fish'n chips or East Asian curry-bun slops. er "shops".

Better to dumpster-dive back of industrial estates, electronics & machine-tool especially.

DAMHIKT. Packrats are bi-lingsquishtical.

Stout gloves, HAZMAT suit, and Altoids or "Fishermans Friend" help with the job hazards.

:D

I live in Germany and I'm interested!

"Interested?" Or just weird? You did day "Gellenkirchen"?

:)

Speaking of "weird", that radius gizmo would fit my "accursed race" AKA "nation of alcoholics" AKA "French".... Cazenevue 360 HBX.. but I don't need one.

Then again, I didn't need the HBX-360-BC to begin with, either.

Post the stuff.

PM is universally abused all over the planet, Blighty included.

Not all hands run Myford-nano lathes, either.

Or the larger goods wuddna' BEEN in Blighty.

Back