What's new
What's new

Divider head problem solved!!!!!!

jarhead jim

Aluminum
Pardon for the 3rd post on this subject but promise this is the last.... First off, thanks to everyone’s help in trying to figure out my dilemma. The math to figure out the gear blank diameter and divider plate number advancement were both correct. My divider head was off 1 degree from being 90 degrees. Someone had punched a couple dots that I lined up with, not realizing it had factory graduation marks..... That caused my shaft that the gear was on to be in a bind with the tail stock so much that when I advanced the gear head a full revolution (40 total cranks) the head always ended at the exact spot I started from, while the gear always slacked off half a groove. The shaft showed a million itsy bitty marks where it slid where it was chucked up at. Doing this 4 times my divider head came up right on and the gear kept falling back even further.
After resetting the head to a perfect 90 degrees, the crank ran a hell of a lot easier and smoother and both the head and gear ended in the exact same spot after 40 turns of the crank. My sanity is restored and now I have enough faith to cut out another slab, chuck it in the lathe and make a 3rd blank. Thanks again for all of the advice.
Jim

Glad you have it figured out. I was in the middle of another post on your second thread but I can erase that now. I had even reached a contradiction in one of my lines of reason and that brought me back here. I now know that one and the others I was suggesting were all wrong.

Happy Chips!

Another oops....

SF_gear14.jpg

Back