What's new
What's new

Divider head question.

jarhead jim

Aluminum
Making a 52 tooth spur gear. Set at #39 and indexed 30. Went clear around only to find I was 1/3 of a gear off. The only thing I know I did wrong was turn the blank down to 4.490 instead of 4.500. Is that enough to do this???A2108671-B611-479B-AD4B-E59A269D2231.jpgEAFC8B0C-2C37-49F3-8EDE-7687F8AE37FE.jpg

You mean ⅓ of a tooth off, not ⅓ of a gear off. If you were indexing correctly, my first guess would be something moved too. How were you holding the part?

You know, when you're a beginner, you can just lightly mark the blank with 52 nicks as you practice your first round of indexing. Dealing with hard facts in hard metal is humbling at first.

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference, but in practice, there is :D

A useful check on hardware is to see if the DH spindle turns ONE TURN when you turn the crank FORTY turns

Good photos of the DH would be helpful

Like do you have and are you using the "segment" arms - you can see the pair of them UNDER the much heavier "crank" on this K&T DH in photo three here. These control where the crank starts and stops in the process of indexing

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/shop-built-adjust-true-86789/?highlight=adjust

have fun
Yup, I used the segment arms (spiders). I’ll have to do the crank thing and see if it is a 40 and not a 60.

If you are using the segment arms there should be 31 holes between them.
The hole you start in doesnt count towards the total.

That’s exactly what I did. Using the divider arms to advance 30 from and not including the hole I started out with.

Jim

A useful check on hardware is to see if the DH spindle turns ONE TURN when you turn the crank FORTY turns

Good photos of the DH would be helpful

Like do you have and are you using the "segment" arms - you can see the pair of them UNDER the much heavier "crank" on this K&T DH in photo three here. These control where the crank starts and stops in the process of indexing

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/shop-built-adjust-true-86789/?highlight=adjust

have fun
36232C16-B014-437D-83DD-3D505A92F9FD.jpg64E9BEB6-134E-44E4-A0E7-7D10EEE03779.jpg292ED7B9-8B43-4977-B6E3-E56882D420C2.jpgBE8E0C49-7D28-44BD-A4FA-0283717F0B73.jpgB27FC723-F880-4AB8-B706-E74C480F026E.jpg

You know, when you're a beginner, you can just lightly mark the blank with 52 nicks as you practice your first round of indexing. Dealing with hard facts in hard metal is humbling at first.

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference, but in practice, there is :D
Yup, I see that now after 2 failed attempts, but honestly I figured I would have success the first time because I researched this so much ahead of time. But from the responses so far, I have everyone stumped. The gear blank diameter appears to be correct and using the #39 index correctly, I still am having failures. Divider head gear ratio is 40-1. And I’m positive the other change gears on my lathe are 12DP..... stupefying.......

It bears mentioning that you must be aware of backlash when using a dividing head. THOU SHALT NOT OVERSHOOT THY POSITION. :D

I do not drop the indexing pin onto the angle bevel of the sector arms. For one thing, using the sector arms this way does not work for some index numbers because you cannot get the sector arms close enough together. So bearing that in mind, you carefully turn the crank and drop the pin ONTO THE HOLE PLATE, and then bump it forward til it falls in the hole. THOU SHALT NOT OVERSHOOT THY POSITION. If you do overshoot, you must turn the crank about a quarter turn back and then approach the proper hole in the plate again.

Clamp the spindle of the dividing head before the cutting begins. For straight cut gears in steel, there can be a bit of bumpiness as the cutter gets started in the cut and this could rattle the blank out of position by whatever backlash exists.

It bears mentioning that you must be aware of backlash when using a dividing head. THOU SHALT NOT OVERSHOOT THY POSITION. :D

I do not drop the indexing pin onto the angle bevel of the sector arms. For one thing, using the sector arms this way does not work for some index numbers because you cannot get the sector arms close enough together. So bearing that in mind, you carefully turn the crank and drop the pin ONTO THE HOLE PLATE, and then bump it forward til it falls in the hole. THOU SHALT NOT OVERSHOOT THY POSITION. If you do overshoot, you must turn the crank about a quarter turn back and then approach the proper hole in the plate again.

Clamp the spindle of the dividing head before the cutting begins. For straight cut gears in steel, there can be a bit of bumpiness as the cutter gets started in the cut and this could rattle the blank out of position by whatever backlash exists.
I completely understand what you are saying about overshooting the hole and having to back up a ways and approach the hole again, I did that several times and did exactly what you said to do. Not sure what you mean by clamping the spindle. The piece is secured very well in the 8-1/2” chuck. And the plate with the holes has the number in a perfect vertical line up and down from start to finish.

8D518155-671A-411A-A2BC-B7799142619E.jpgA rough diagram of what I am doing. Start with the divider point in the 39 hole. Advance the guide stops so I have 30 holes showing and insert the point in the 30th hole. I then advance the guide again to where I have 30 holes showing. With a gear of 52 teeth my crank should and does end up in the #39 hole at the 90, 270 and 360 degree spot which means I’m advancing correctly but somewhere I’m screwing up with either the size of blank or something else none of us are catching. I did the blank diameter computing with 3 other gears in the set and they all come up correct to a 12 DP gear so I’m sure the DP is correct.....0B242ADB-C4D6-4A26-BB66-542A89799E70.jpgThe bottom sketch shows where I’m ending up on the last tooth. Seems to me that my blank should have been larger than 4.500. But doing the math of 52+2 divided by 12DP equals 4.500....Argh!!!!!

Just out of curiosity when you set your scissors (Dividers) are you allowing for the hole the pin drops into. I had many students that for instance they needed 30 holes division and actually set the scissors 30 holes rather than 31 to allow for the hole they started from. Actually guilty of that myself.

The blank diameter has nothing to do with how many divisions you get. Think how ridiculous that is: oh, this part can't be divided into 52 because it is of such and such a diameter. Ridiculous.

Next: can you count? It appears that somehow you are over-indexing, which means you haven't dropped a hole and are not indexing 30 spaces but rather 31 spaces. COUNT SPACES, NOT HOLES. A hole is nothing, a space is an interval.

And on the tooth 52, you don't end up at zero. That takes the 53 indexings to get to zero (the first tooth space).

The blank diameter has nothing to do with how many divisions you get. Think how ridiculous that is: oh, this part can't be divided into 52 because it is of such and such a diameter. Ridiculous.

Next: can you count? It appears that somehow you are over-indexing, which means you haven't dropped a hole and are not indexing 30 spaces but rather 31 spaces. COUNT SPACES, NOT HOLES. A hole is nothing, a space is an interval.

And on the tooth 52, you don't end up at zero. That takes the 53 indexings to get to zero (the first tooth space).
First off my comment on diameter was in reference to where the last groove cut was made. If my piece was too large, the 52nd cut would have a larger space between it and the first cut, and if the piece was too small, you wouldn’t get 52 cuts in. And yes, I have a high school education and learned simple math at an early age..... my reference to holes is the same thing you reference spaces as, same thing cause it is a circular “ hole”.... My diagram shows clearly how I indexed it, even has numbers added to aid in the visual.

I did the blank diameter computing with 3 other gears in the set and they all come up correct to a 12 DP gear so I’m sure the DP is correct.....The bottom sketch shows where I’m ending up on the last tooth. Seems to me that my blank should have been larger than 4.500. But doing the math of 52+2 divided by 12DP equals 4.500....Argh!!!!!

The blank diameter will not cause the problem of having one tooth out of size...That is totally caused by either the part slipping when indexed of missing the dividing steps.
Incorrect diameter will effect all the teeth the same amount...Making each a bit too thick or a bit too thin depending on which way you missed the mark.

Recount the holes from starting hole, count 30 holes froward not including the hole the index pin is in.....(31 holes between the sector arms with no pin...)

Be sure you approach the starting point (first tooth) by moving the crank in the same direction as you will index all the subsequent divisions....
Be sure, as Hu states, to skid the plunger into the correct hole including the first or starting hole for the first cut....

Count the number of teeth produced by your missed indexing.....If the number is correct , but the final cut makes a narrow tooth then you are moving too fat with each index.
If you have an extra tooth then your indexing is short for each cut......

Caliper all the teeth produced. If they are not all the same width around the blank (exclude the final indexed cut that is off) then the part is moving.

Cheers Ross

Back