DIY counterweight for a low center of gravity project - recommendations? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Disk brake rotors that are no longer economic to resurface even ONCE...nor as GOOD as brand-new ...as they had been "back in the day" ....when they were thicker and heavier from the outset.
    Rotors aren't heavy enough to use as a counterweight anymore.

And in the above list, you forgot snowmobile. At least once a year some poor kid tries driving their snowmobile through a wire fence. Always ends tragically.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Rotors aren't heavy enough to use as a counterweight anymore.
    LOL!

Might depend on what your choice of wheels is?

Hangin' LED worklights on my ones. Not ratchet chainfalls.

Mind.. ever do the tour of the RMS Queen Mary? That 'ole gal had a set of Bronze "wheels" as could counterweight a fair-decent crane!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Naw...the proper application of melted butter to popcorn (in flight) involves proper
    control of droplet size, shape & velocity.

Involving ultrasonics, ceramic nozzles, and accurate control of the projecting air.
    Get a cam driven mechanical fuel pump, around 12000psi and you won’t need ultrasonics, ceramics nor accurate air control! Do not hold toast in hand when applying butter...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Disk brake rotors that are no longer economic to resurface even ONCE...nor as GOOD as brand-new ...as they had been "back in the day" ....when they were thicker and heavier from the outset.
    I resurfaced my own rotors...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only reason they aren't economical to resurface is that you can buy them cheaper than the labor to resurface them. Not to mention the downtime of having no brake rotors.

Sure, you can't resurface them as much but why have the extra spinning mass if the brakes wouldn't ever get to it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Big rigs still use drum brakes. They make nice flower pots with a coat of paint and something to keep the gophers from tunneling up through the axle hole

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Strostkovy View Post
    The only reason they aren't economical to resurface is that you can buy them cheaper than the labor to resurface them. Not to mention the downtime of having no brake rotors.
    Never DID have "downtime" drums or rotors, either one.

Bought the first change, "rebuilt" at first, brand new after I learnt better. Resurfaced my own pulls or had it done, stashed them ready to mount for next go. Always had shoes or pads stocked as well, and have both for both vehicles as I am typing.

Quit resurfacing because the thinner disks and higher performance vehicles are more prone to metallurgical change or distortion. Cracks are rare, but I have had 'em.

More common are hard spots and warp ==> imperfect balance... and/or return of worse warp and brake judder.. even if cleaned-up by mashinin' on a decent Van Norman.

New and "Made in USA", Germany, or Japan AND NOT China are reasonable, even for a vintage Jaguar.

The "pulls", OTOH are mebbe half the mass of those on the Old Skewl Dodge trucks I usta run!

"Back in the day" it weren't unusual to see a drum off a Caterpiggle or a heavy over-the-roader Bud wheel filled with concrete as an anchor for a grinder or even an anvil.

A "bespoke" base is usually BETTER, but who had the time & money when a tired drum, rotor, or wheel had to "be SOMEWHERE" anyway?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How much do you need to use. When lead wasn't an option due to environmental issues we just bought steel shot from Mcmaster. Search it on their site.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At the lab they had shielding blocks made from heavy concrete. Just regular concrete but instead of gravel and sand it was made from iron ore taconite and cement. The extra heft helped to soak up radiation.
    Bil lD