What's new
What's new

DIY Milling Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJTruby

Plastic
I know these threads pop up every now and then but Im just too lazy to go through all the old threads to find an answer.
I'm currently in just in the research phase in this undertaking. I'm not looking for discouragement or rude comments just info on the subject.
I currently came across this gentleman on youtube.
BUILDING A REAL MILLING MACHINE - YouTube
I like his concept and size, I kind of want to do a basic vertical machine with a simple x, y, and z axis.(no quill thats what drill presses are for.) mostly for face milling and slot cutting
My first question is about motor options. I see online they have them with variable speed controls already put in them, I'm curious would that be enough or will I need to install a belt/pulley or gear system or can that variable speed be just enough?
The other concept wall I was running into is the spindle Head housing.
1.) Do they sell complete Spindle heads sets for sale?
2.) Do they heave a standard size spindles?
3.) Who sells them? and where can I look for a good price?
Any info you can give would be helpful

I think you will find a lot more information and help on a forum that rhymes with CNCshmone. There have been quite a few well-documented efforts on DIY milling machines.

If you are too lazy to search the forums I'm not sure a DIY milling machine is in the cards for you. It's not exactly a low-effort endeavor.

I know these threads pop up every now and then but Im just too lazy to go through all the old threads to find an answer.
I'm currently in just in the research phase in this undertaking. I'm not looking for discouragement or rude comments just info on the subject.
I like his concept and size, I kind of want to do a basic vertical machine with a simple x, y, and z axis.(no quill thats what drill presses are for.) mostly for face milling and slot cutting
My first question is about motor options. I see online they have them with variable speed controls already put in them, I'm curious would that be enough or will I need to install a belt/pulley or gear system or can that variable speed be just enough?
Any info you can give would be helpful

You really need to go to a "hobby" forum for that sort of help.

That isn't a brush-off. Many folks HERE are also members in THOSE. They chase different parts of a broad interest in each forum, as is most appropriate to those interests.

HERE.. even the retired guys do not have time to mess with much DIY at the entire machine-tool level. We know which mill we want. We know alternate choices.

OUR research is just finding a factory-built one in acceptable condition and within affordable ship-home range.

I'm too lazy to tell you anything other than this post will be locked.

Just like all the other ones were, if you would have taken 5 minutes to read them.....:nutter:

Archiving here so if the OP deletes the first diatribe:
"I know these threads pop up every now and then but Im just too lazy to go through all the old threads to find an answer.
Any info you can give would be helpful"

In before the lock!

Also, there's an active Facebook group dedicated to this exact subject. Facebook search DIY CNC or whatever.

If you had bothered to read anything about anything about this website, you'd know it is specifically not discussed here, because this particular website is one for professionals running real, industrial CNC equipment.

P.S. "I'm not looking for rude comments" (or whatever stupid, whiny thing you wrote) will get you exactly that around here. Another thing you would have known if you had put forth one iota of effort.

Have fun on Facebook!

My father told me that at Lawrence Berkeley lab the big cyclotron magnet and some of the tank structure it sat in/on had to be machined down to a reasonable flatness. This was several tens of tons and too big for any machines of the day. Over 15 feet diameter on the inside, At least any machines they knew of.
So they used a surplus destroyer turret to make a horizontal boring machine. I am quite sure it must have had a powered spindle.
I believe he said the original motor was steam so they adapted an electric motor to fit. Being government operation they got surplus material like that for free. After the war they got un-used battleship armor for shielding but it was not flat enough to use they they used it for retaining walls instead..
Bil lD

http://www2.lbl.gov/images/PID/07P.gif

Don't let all the negative comments dissuade you. After all, you cleared yourself ahead of time by letting everyone know you are lazy, ignorant, and don't need rude comments. It's almost like this ain't your first rodeo.

I am not against making machines, but for a beginner to make a milling machine.........

If you think you are going to save money, YOU WILL NOT. It will be way cheaper to buy one. Some EXPERIENCED people have made decent milling machines, but they had both machining and ENGINEERING skills. You need both for this.

And yes, you can buy assemblies like X-Y tables and spindles. But you are going to need hundreds of pounds of cast iron between them if you are going to make a good machine. Or a really good design.

Anyway, good luck to you.

Hobby Forum:

General

because this will get locked.

Ill offer this...
The fact you are thinkin a DIY would be better than a clapped out bridgeport is a reflection of your education...

For the price of the mistakes you will make doing a DIY. You can find an old hunk of historic iron. It could take you years to work up the the abilities of the machine...

And most of the hecklers you will get for this topic would help you if it was for a repair...

But Ill just sit here and watch what happens...
:popcorn:

you all must have small dicks or none at all

I need to lose a few more pounds that are blocking the view before I even know the answer myself. Hiring a calibration service out of Oregon doesn't seem economic on the travel costs alone, but you can quote the job.

For all I know, working only by feel, I've been pissing through a silicone-rubber dick for 30 years, anyway. Sphincter ain't sore of a morning, so at least it ain't some OTHER guy's.

I think it once had some other use, too ..but .. y'know.. old age and ...what was it.. eyeglasses?.. nah.. ??

OH! "memory!"

I do own a coupla decent milling machines, though.

So there! Go play wit' yerself until you can find a way to DIY plunge milling!

Don't let all the negative comments dissuade you. After all, you cleared yourself ahead of time by letting everyone know you are lazy, ignorant, and don't need rude comments. It's almost like this ain't your first rodeo.

It's not plus I have a reputation of tracking assholes down IRL. It's a bonus having family members in law enforcement, disposable income and ability to hold grudges and a good memory. :scratchchin::D

MJTruby said:
have access to them

"Having access" to a machine tool is the universal claim of every stroker wannabe ever born, as in:
"I need you to make this part. I'd do it but I don't have access to a lathe right now."

Sure, you can use the student shop to build your milling machine...:rolleyes5:

It's not plus I have a reputation of tracking assholes down IRL. It's a bonus having family members in law enforcement, disposable income and ability to hold grudges and a good memory. :scratchchin::D

Big dick.

Small mind.

You have wandered into the wrong loo, and 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is occupied already.

You'll just have to hold yer water or run for public office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back