What's new
What's new

DIY reflashing of CF card? Possible?

Pivot

Plastic
Hi
I hope this is the appropriate forum for this question, if not please move.
I have some American made CNC router machines (I'd prefer not to mention the brand online) and have had a number of occasions where I have had a machine down and needed to re-flash the files on the CF card. Several years ago the manufacturer was willing to do this online through a screen share session and all I had to do was pull the card from the machine, plug it into a card reader on my computer and they could do it. Lately they have changed their policy and will not do it this way anymore apparently because they have to load their proprietary file transfer software onto your computer in order to do it. So now you have to order a new card from them pre-loaded and ship it. Last time I had to do it they didn't even have the cards in stock, the first one they sent didn't work for some reason and by the time I got the replacement (which they made me pay for overnight shipping for both despite being defective)my machine was down for over a week.
So the question is, since I have a copy of these files backed up on my computer, why can't I just do it my self? I'm no computer genius but they just appear to be files in a folder on the card. Why do you need special software to load them and if so what kind? I know the card itself is just a standard industrial CF memory card I can get anywhere.
I'd be happy to deal with the manufacturer if they were just more responsive. The other problem is there have been several times when they have trouble shot a problem, said it was the card and I order a replacement and it doesn't fix the problem. Money and time out the window because somebody takes a guess at it and I lose two days of trouble shooting time waiting. I'd like to control my destiny and income a little more...
Any advice or references to other info would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Jonathan

I don't know what exactly they are doing, but I've used CF cards for years in my digital cameras. The contents just show up as files. So IF their machine is using a standard file system, you should be able to just copy the files from a good card to a spare.

If they are doing some kind of digital rights management, or using a proprietary file system, then this won't work. Although ... a block-by-block copy ought to handle a proprietary file system, assuming two identically sized and configured CF cards.

Get a new card, transfer files to it from your computer and try it, if you have an original card that you can access insert in computer open file explorer right click on the card whatever drive letter the computer assigned and choose properties it will tell you what format the card is, new card inserted right click (this pc)in file explorer for win10 and choose manage, then disk management once populated you can choose format by right clicking on empty card and choose a file system ntfs/fat32/exfat etc.,If not windows 10 then in file explorer its Computer or my computer you'd right click on manage/disk management I can assist if this is all too confusing PM me an email address I'll send you a link invitation for remote access Ed

I hate it when companies pull some proprietary bullshit like that. Sometimes they use a programming trick on the media like padding zeros (or whatever) between files that only their software can read. It can be tricky to duplicate their media without their software to do the particular fiddle they use. I have had some success in the past for such "protection" by using the 'dd' command in Linux. It can do what is called a "forensic clone" or bit-for-bit copy of one media to another. You don't even have to format the media because the particular format is copied. There are Windows based alternatives to 'dd', such as EnCase, but I have never used them.
Best solution is don't buy any more of their crap and tell them why.

-DU-

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the delayed response. I don't think I can get around this issue unfortunately. Just comes with the territory I guess. Sucks to pay $175k for a machine and not be allowed to fix it yourself. I'll be stuck with them probably for the next 10 years.

I don't know why you won't mention the company, using the company name will get you more relevant advice. Mention it in the thread title, as someone may have done the exact thing you wish, but cruise right by the thread without looking

If the computer can read the card, it might be able to reproduce the card.

try looking up 'clone sd card'

some companies are not actually evil or stupid, but have stupid customers, who need their hands held. Like when the Car dealership say you need to remove engine to do x y or z, when with enough time you can do it in place, but that is the process at the dealer, and they will charge you thusly

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the delayed response. I don't think I can get around this issue unfortunately. Just comes with the territory I guess. Sucks to pay $175k for a machine and not be allowed to fix it yourself. I'll be stuck with them probably for the next 10 years.

So what happens if you just "dd" the fool card?

dd (Unix) - Wikipedia

It isn't ONLY a Unix toolset. Even Penguin-shaggers, Apple sauces, Chrome plates, and WinWeenies can use it.

Back