What's new
What's new

DIY Spill Proof Cutting Oil Container - Easy and Cheap

rata222

Aluminum
I was looking for a spill proof cutting oil container. I found the Spillmaster which was pretty nice. Also found spill proof paint cups for children, that works on the same principle. The cost was cheap enough – but I hate paying more for shipping than what I paid for the item. I decided to make one for myself.
Apologies if anyone else has posted something like this. I did not see any similar builds. It was simple, cheap and quick to build so I thought I would share it.
If you are familiar with how the Spillmaster works, this will be self explanatory .

Here is the completed container.

I purchased the parts at Lowes.

1 pc. 2” x ½” PVC SCH40 Bushing @ $1.29
1 pc. 2” PVC SCH40 Coupling @ $0.98
1 pc. 2” PVC SCH40 Plug @ $2.37
I had the ½” PVC pipe and the pipe cement.

The tube will get pushed through the bushing. To do this you first need to removed the “tube stop” ridge seen inside the hole of the reducer bushing.

I then calculated how long of tube I wanted and marked it so that it would stay about ½ to 5/8” from the inside bottom of the container. After marking insertion depth on the tube, I applied cement and pushed the tube through the bushing to the mark.

Topside view.

Inside view.

Inside view.

Using Cement I assembled the three pieces -light press fit.

I did not like the tube extending above the cup. I put the assembly in the lathe,cut off the tube and put a nice lead in chamfer.

This cup will be used for steel cutting oil. Hopefully any chips that gather could be pulled out with a telescoping magnet.
The next container will be for Aluminum cutting oil. I may put a set screw or pipe plug, through the double thick sidewall for a cleanout.

This resulted in a nice heavy container. Its as easy as you want it to be. Buy the few pieces. Remove the ridge and press fit. them together. You may not even need the cement?

Let's see, as a practical machinist (not a harry homeshop)...

Looks to be 1 hour of time in this and at $50 billable per hour, and $10 in fittings.....I'll just use a squeeze bottle for $1.

Wow you're only charging $50/hr I think I'll start subing parts to you LOL

Think of all the tapping/cutting fluid you waste using a squeeze bottle. Alumatap is 12/pint

Looks to be 1 hour of time in this and at $50 billable per hour, and $10 in fittings.....I'll just use a squeeze bottle for $1.

Looks more like $5 bucks worth of fittings and 5 minutes to slap it together. I'm always knocking the damn tuna can over right after filling it. Thanks for the tip.

I've used plastic margarine containers with a hole in center of lid for the brush. A piece of scrap steel or large nut inside for weight. When I worked in one of the shipyards they used coffee cans and 2 inch paint brushes. More cutting oil on the machines and floor than anything.
I like the OP's idea. Thanks for posting.

Not sure why it would take a "practical machinist" an hour - when it took harry homeshop 15 minutes. I must be doing it wrong. :)

I know you can buy them already made and I also use a squeeze bottle often...
I posted this knowing there are people that would enjoy seeing something they may be able to use. That is why I took the time to share it.
I also know there are people that enjoy seeing only the negative ...so they get something out of this too. We all win.:)
Jim

I was looking for a spill proof cutting oil container. I found the Spillmaster which was pretty nice. Also found spill proof paint cups for children, that works on the same principle. The cost was cheap enough – but I hate paying more for shipping than what I paid for the item. I decided to make one for myself.
Apologies if anyone else has posted something like this. I did not see any similar builds. It was simple, cheap and quick to build so I thought I would share it.
If you are familiar with how the Spillmaster works, this will be self explanatory .

Here is the completed container.

I purchased the parts at Lowes.

1 pc. 2” x ½” PVC SCH40 Bushing @ $1.29
1 pc. 2” PVC SCH40 Coupling @ $0.98
1 pc. 2” PVC SCH40 Plug @ $2.37
I had the ½” PVC pipe and the pipe cement.

The tube will get pushed through the bushing. To do this you first need to removed the “tube stop” ridge seen inside the hole of the reducer bushing.

I then calculated how long of tube I wanted and marked it so that it would stay about ½ to 5/8” from the inside bottom of the container. After marking insertion depth on the tube, I applied cement and pushed the tube through the bushing to the mark.

Topside view.

Inside view.

Inside view.

Using Cement I assembled the three pieces -light press fit.

I did not like the tube extending above the cup. I put the assembly in the lathe,cut off the tube and put a nice lead in chamfer.

This cup will be used for steel cutting oil. Hopefully any chips that gather could be pulled out with a telescoping magnet.
The next container will be for Aluminum cutting oil. I may put a set screw or pipe plug, through the double thick sidewall for a cleanout.

This resulted in a nice heavy container. Its as easy as you want it to be. Buy the few pieces. Remove the ridge and press fit. them together. You may not even need the cement?

:Yawn:

-----------------

Yeah this toy excited a lot of Youtubers to offer fancy versions. I already had a safe-edge can opener (manual, cuts from the side of the can, costs $10 and kept my old dad from hurting himself) so I used some old cans, bits of 1/2" PVC I had laying around, a 7/8" punch I already owned, and some previously-opened adhesives that were left over from something else and probably about to dry up and become useless anyways. Made a few of them-one for each machine.

Out-of-pocket cost zero, total time spent around 5 minutes. They're really ugly, and they work just fine.

Back