What's new
What's new

DJ Pope sine bar

PT Doc

Cast Iron
Hi guys. I was gifted with a beautiful sine bar made by DJ Pope. I assume that he has passed. I searched on his name and because DJ is in the title I’m coming across the music industry references. I do not know where he lived. Possibly Maryland.
I know this a long shot, but does this name ring a bell? Here are a few photos of the sine bar and custom case. Thanks.

D924ED80-984C-473C-906D-DF989B2AAB48.jpg

AAA2B70F-21C4-460E-A981-E3EF47B1E960.jpg

CBFC5CFC-A4DF-4A69-AA25-D2CE3A60D49C.jpg

It's always worth a try to see if there's some background you can find on a shop-made tool. But it's really a long shot considering how many sine bars have been made by apprentices, tool and diemakers, and students in machinist classes.

If you get something useful, consider yourself lucky. Otherwise try to relax and enjoy the smart ass comments you're likely to get and enjoy a tool made personally by the pope. Just sprinkle with holy water periodically to maintain accuracy.

Not being an expert on sine bars, could anyone tell my what the "5%" on the underside in the first picture references?

-Ron

Not being an expert on sine bars, could anyone tell my what the "5%" on the underside in the first picture references?

-Ron

My guess is the 5% is actually supposed to be 5". The fitted case looks more interesting than the sine bar. I can't blow the picture up to see details.

The initials fit and the obit is recent enough you might be able reach the heirs and inquire. OTOH, it seems a rather improbably path from Michigan to somewhere to be given to you in a short space of time. Unless it was stolen or sold years ago. And the fact that the Pope in the obituary was a machine repair journeyman doesn't quite fit. It's toolroom equipment more than machine repair though that wouldn't preclude it altogether.

The case looks like micarta, nicely done, at least in a small photo.

Alcohol by volume?

With a name like Homebrewblob I shouldn't be surprised. :D

My guess is the 5% is actually supposed to be 5". The fitted case looks more interesting than the sine bar. I can't blow the picture up to see details.

The 5" would make sense, maybe he didn't have letters to make "inch" or " " "? I agree about the case - looks very interesting.

-Ron

Back