What's new
What's new

Do heavier things fall faster than lighter objects ???

Portable Welder

Cast Iron
My son asked me, do heavier objects fall faster than lighter objects !!!
I said, it depends, I said for example, 2 objects the size of a bowling ball, one being a light bowling ball and the other being a bowling ball made of lead, I said the bowling ball made of lead would hit the ground first and he said NOOOO.
We'll unfortunately I dont have a bowling ball of lead, nor could I probably lift it, so I said, lets do a test, I took a piece of 1" x 1" square bar x 2" long and a piece of wood the exact same size, I then walked up the tower of a concrete plant that I'm rebuilding approximately 75' up, I then pinched the two between my fingers to ensure they are both released at the same time and the lighter wood was approximately 18" behind the steel on impact.
My son is telling me my test was flawed due to wind resistance, plus when trying to google this there is plenty of content that supports his theory of they both fall at the same speed and he keeps saying its the wind resistance mumbo jumbo and that all kinds of computer info says other wise.
I said, son...,( Who's 24 and knows everything ) here is a real test, why wont you concede and admit that I'm right on this one when you can see an actual test.
So my next test needs to be two round objects of the exact same size/ diameter so he cant argue that because the wood tumbled more than the steel block and thats why it was flawed !!!!

Your son is correct, and the standard tests for such things do take place in a vacuum.

(I worked in a wind tunnel for part of a year, for what that's worth).

A 1" metal ball from McMaster in both aluminum and steel will be a relatively cheap way to get your objects.

I said, it depends, I said for example, 2 objects the size of a bowling ball, one being a light bowling ball and the other being a bowling ball made of lead, I said the bowling ball made of lead would hit the ground first and he said NOOOO.
We'll unfortunately I dont have a bowling ball of lead, nor could I probably lift it, so I said, lets do a test, I took a piece of 1" x 1" square bar x 2" long and a piece of wood the exact same size, I then walked up the tower of a concrete plant that I'm rebuilding approximately 75' up, I then pinched the two between my fingers to ensure they are both released at the same time and the lighter wood was approximately 18" behind the steel on impact.
My son is telling me my test was flawed due to wind resistance, plus when trying to google this there is plenty of content that supports his theory of they both fall at the same speed and he keeps saying its the wind resistance mumbo jumbo and that all kinds of computer info says other wise.
I said, son...,( Who's 24 and knows everything ) here is a real test, why wont you concede and admit that I'm right on this one when you can see an actual test.
So my next test needs to be two round objects of the exact same size/ diameter so he cant argue that because the wood tumbled more than the steel block and thats why it was flawed !!!!

They fall at the same speed, the heavy one reaches that speed first so it will land first.

I hope this is not a serious question. Gravity doesn't care about the mass of an object, but air cares about density, shape and orientation - any difference in these variables between the two objects may result in different terminal velocities. May, because the effects are compounded. If say a sheet of steel is being dropped flat, while a sheet of plywood with exact same dimensions is dropped on its edge, the heavier thing may end up touching the ground later.

I said, it depends, I said for example, 2 objects the size of a bowling ball, one being a light bowling ball and the other being a bowling ball made of lead, I said the bowling ball made of lead would hit the ground first and he said NOOOO. ...

Your son is correct. In a vacuum, there is no difference. In the atmosphere, the various objects accelerate until weight equals aerodynamic drag:

Terminal velocity - Wikipedia

and

Terminal Velocity

It so sucks when the young kid is right.
Then the much bigger is how to back down gracefully?
You are dad and dad is always right.
One can only dream that our offsprings "get" things we did not. Is that not the goal?
Be proud of your son and this.
Bob

Your son is right but science has much of it wrong. We are spinning on our axis while going round the Sun and our whole shebang is at the near edge of our universe that is spinning, but our universe is traveling at a very high speed and accelerating at about 10x what we originally thought so because matter wants to stay in its original place we and objects fall back.. but where is back, is almost as confusing as which way is up and so why do things fall is difficult to explain.

Our bet had no mention of a vacuum chamber, if he would have mentioned something about a vacuum chamber, I would have not made a bet since I don't know about a vacuum chamber.

Moonlight machine, if I understand what your saying, if both things are perfect spheres, of the exact same size / shape and texture, the only difference is the density/ weight being a factor, that once both things hit terminal velocity, the speed at which they fall is the same ?

I'm having a hard time believing this ! if one of the spheres is say lead and the other is Styrofoam and they're both dropped from 10,000 feet up, I cant believe that the Styrofoam will eventually reach the same speed as the lead sphere ?

Back