do i read this drawing correct?

janvanruth

Titanium
i got this drawing to make a tool
as i see it, it is a disk with a circular groove cut into the face of it
my problem is the fact that the disk seems to have three different thicknesses
the middle part is parallel to the bottom
the outer ring seems to vary in thickness
i guess i must be interpreting the drawing wrongly as i can see no way to make the thickness vary while keeping the ring parallel to the bottom..

20190529_205608.jpg

Given the information presented, I would assume a single thickness and a poorly rendered drawing. If the outer ring is not a constant thickness, you need more information. I would go back and ask for clarification either way.

i got this drawing to make a tool
as i see it, it is a disk with a circular groove cut into the face of it
my problem is the fact that the disk seems to have three different thicknesses
the middle part is parallel to the bottom
the outer ring seems to vary in thickness
i guess i must be interpreting the drawing wrongly as i can see no way to make the thickness vary while keeping the ring parallel to the bottom..

View attachment 257720

I think I would be asking the person you got the drawing from.

The dimensions seem to work, the drawing is a bad cartoon

just cause it is drawn on a computer don't make it right

1/2 thick disc 6 1/4 around with a groove. somewhat sharp bottom corners, top corners broken as dimensioned

the apparent different thicknesses have no dimensions, so they don't exist

its a computer generated beer bag sketch

Am I missing something, what is all the confusion about? The grove is described with an ID, OD, depth, and corner radius call outs. The plate itself is given a diameter and a thickness, both exactly once,(and with pretty liberal tolerance). As I see it, there is nothing to be unsure about, or I could be missing something huge, in which case...:leaving:

Definitely ask the designer as most designers don't mind being asked for clarification. To me it looks like the outer section of the ring is ramped with the high side being on the left and the low side on the right, while the inner middle section is parallel to the base. Like others said though, it could just be a bad CAD drawing.

Am I missing something, what is all the confusion about? The grove is described with an ID, OD, depth, and corner radius call outs. The plate itself is given a diameter and a thickness, both exactly once,(and with pretty liberal tolerance). As I see it, there is nothing to be unsure about, or I could be missing something huge, in which case...:leaving:

The issue I see is, on the left side of the groove the part appears to be taller that the center, and the center is taller than the right side.

There are conflicting dimensions in the groove diameter vs. groove depth.

Also the outer diameter of the part would be one thickness, while the center is another thickness.

Also, how can you have "this side up" on both sides? ....Is this an end cap for an interdimensional worm hole?

The issue I see is, on the left side of the groove the part appears to be taller that the center, and the center is taller than the right side.

OK, thank you for clarifying. But so what! The drawing is a bit wonky. Lots of other indications the guy who drew it doesn't know how to use whatever system he used to draw this properly. Notice the way arrows don't quite meet the surfaces they point to. He probably drew this freehand with the mouse and added the dimensions. The dimensions are clear, and do not contradict each other, so I still see no problem. The print is fine, make the part.

As Jonny 5 would say "need more input" not enough info to make part. It looks like there is more drawing missing as it looks like a cross section view.

granted a cross section is usually a secondary view, but there is all the information you need. Unless there are steps detailed in another view, it is a simple disc with a groove. The apparent height differences do not exist.

Again, were this hand drawn, you would have no questions.

Back