What's new
What's new

Do you ever turn your DRO off?

I was wondering, since the DRO failed on my manual mill. I don't think it was turned off more than a few times in the last 20 years. Does this hurt it or will more damage be done turning it off each night and on again in the morning. FWIW I shut it off last night.

I was wondering, since the DRO failed on my manual mill. I don't think it was turned off more than a few times in the last 20 years. Does this hurt it or will more damage be done turning it off each night and on again in the morning. FWIW I shut it off last night.

some dro have a error compensation mode. using a 6.0000 gage block you follow a procedure where you move 6.0000 and tell dro in special mode it moved 6.0000. sometimes a light is on and or blinking to confirm error compensation mode is on.
some dro when turn off, it turns off error compensation off and you have to press a special button to turn error compensation back on.
had a lathe like that it was always off at least .002 per 6" unless error compensation was turned on

Depends. I've had Sony Magnescale lathe heads that have been on for 25 years. Basically easiest to keep position rather than find everything all over again.

On a mill that runs on a 240 - 550volt step up transformer, the transformer gets disconnected every night and so the DRO shuts off as well. Been operating like that for 20 years. The DRO will warn if it has lost position through complete discharge, after 3 or 4 days. But I'm generally not fussy on retaining a position on the mill anyways.

More modern DRO (Acurite) has a screen blank option on an LCD screen. So it is basically on all the time, once again, for convenience sake on lathes, it is nice to retain position for all the tools.

I don’t use my Bridgeport every day, so I turn my Mitutoyo dro off when I’m not going to use it for a while. As long as I keep the internal backup battery for it in good shape (change the battery every few years when it shows low), no problems. The dro was used when I got it, and I’ve had it 10 years.

If the job is running, I leave it on.

When the job is done, I shut it off. I'm going to pick up a new location on the next setup anyway.

I also leave mine on (two mills), but I'm wondering if the display characters will "wear out" sooner due to the extra operating hours. Looks like one of the units (both Mitutoyos)is showing some illumination intensity differences between character segments. It's the NEWER one, of course....

I live in an area where power outages and lightning induced surges are an issue. I turn mine off when not in use. I should probably unplug them.

Whilst its true some capacitors dont like being on forever, its also true that a lot of the electrolytic only eat them selves faster when there off then short circuit and spew there guts on power up. Here the lathe DRO only sees occasional use, so it gets turned on and off, the mill DRO sees daily use and i can't think the last time i turned it off, certainly not in the last few years, sure theres been the odd power cut, but other than that its been on 24/7 for probably over a decade now. I always power a DRO of a separate circuit to the machine so i can isolate the machine with out issues whilst leaving - keeping the position, my DRO's will lose position on removal of power.

The question if to turn electrics equipment on and of or to leave it ruining is an old one. On one hand when switching on the inrush current can cause problems. On the other hand the heat generated during operation can shorten the life of some of the components and the longer the heat is present the shorter the life (on the other hand some heat is good to keep the moisture out especially in cold and damp environments). Some components do have indeed a life time and on the other hand (again...) some electrolytic capacitors do need certain presence of voltage time to maintain the operation.
So a lot depends on the nature of the equipment, the nature of operation and the environment.

I have Mits readouts that have been "on" for a bit over 30 years and now some starting to fail.
Yes we loose power and reboot but I'm in a fairly stable power thing and this is not a problem.
No way sure if cycling up/down would have worked better as my experience is biased.

. . .Looks like one of the units (both Mitutoyos)is showing some illumination intensity differences. . .

Don't know how old yours are, but at work we have Mit units with fluorescent readouts that are barely readable now, dimmed to near nothing. That's different than the LCD panels. If I had fluorescent displays I'd turn them off.

I have 4 DRO's and never turn them off. Power failure is the only time they are off. Two Sargons are about 30 years old and the other 2 are Electronica and they have been on for at least the last 5 years

I do not have a DRO, but have worked with electronic equipment all my career and much of it was run for long hours each day, if not 24-7-365. Some things were never turned off unless there was a power failure and others were off at night and on again in the morning. Since it was my job to maintain the equipment, I did observe the failure modes.

With a DRO, which is essentially a digital device, I would be concerned with two possible long term failure modes. The first would be power spikes on the incoming power lines. When there is an electrical storm, lightning bolts can induce high Voltage spikes in the power lines and those can get past the filtering in the power supplies in the equipment. Digital devices work on Voltages of 5 Volts or less and many of the chips can fail if the Voltage exceeds 8 or 10 Volts. Lightning bolts exceed 100,000 Volts and if even a small fraction of that gets to the chips, they are toast. I have seen it happen. Turning the power off can help to prevent this. Analog circuits are more resistant to this kind of problem.

On the other hand, parts like the electrolytic filter capacitors in those power supplies will age. One failure mode is a sudden short when power is turned on. I have seen electronic equipment that is always left on fail when it was turned back on after a power outage or it was turned off for some specific reason. This aging is in proportion to the hours of use so any hours that the equipment is off will lengthen it's life.

One other factor that should be considered for some equipment is thermal cycling. If you turn it on and off, it will heat up and cool down. This can produce additional stress for some components.

These are not DRO specific factors. They apply to electronic equipment in general and often to digital equipment more specifically. It is an open question as to which is the better strategy. I have seen electronic and computer professionals who advised everyone to turn their equipment off every night and others who advised that they be left on because "most failures occur when it was turned on". Personally I have always turned things off when they were not in use. This has around 50 years of experience behind it but no real scientific data that I am aware of.

A side story: the old tube type equipment had higher Voltages (125 to 500 Volts or even more). It also had power supplies with electrolytic capacitors and they also aged and failed. But the failures could be much more spectacular with the higher energies that were available in them. I once had an electrolytic capacitor in a 450 Volt tube type power supply erupt like a volcano ... MY FACE WAS INCHES AWAY. I would have had severe eye damage, possibly even been blinded if it were not for a steel rail that was in front of my eyes. The debris hit me above and below them. I was quite shook up. It was probably around 20 years old and this happened when it was turned on after a period of storage.

I also leave mine on (two mills), but I'm wondering if the display characters will "wear out" sooner due to the extra operating hours. Looks like one of the units (both Mitutoyos)is showing some illumination intensity differences between character segments. It's the NEWER one, of course....

LED Displays WILL wear out over time.
My Range, Microwave, and Fridge have all to some degree shown the segments that are on most of the time to be dimmer than those with less on time.

I do not have a DRO, but have worked with electronic equipment all my career and much of it was run for long hours each day, if not 24-7-365. Some things were never turned off unless there was a power failure and others were off at night and on again in the morning. Since it was my job to maintain the equipment, I did observe the failure modes.

With a DRO, which is essentially a digital device, I would be concerned with two possible long term failure modes. The first would be power spikes on the incoming power lines. When there is an electrical storm, lightning bolts can induce high Voltage spikes in the power lines and those can get past the filtering in the power supplies in the equipment. Digital devices work on Voltages of 5 Volts or less and many of the chips can fail if the Voltage exceeds 8 or 10 Volts. Lightning bolts exceed 100,000 Volts and if even a small fraction of that gets to the chips, they are toast. I have seen it happen. Turning the power off can help to prevent this. Analog circuits are more resistant to this kind of problem.

On the other hand, parts like the electrolytic filter capacitors in those power supplies will age. One failure mode is a sudden short when power is turned on. I have seen electronic equipment that is always left on fail when it was turned back on after a power outage or it was turned off for some specific reason. This aging is in proportion to the hours of use so any hours that the equipment is off will lengthen it's life.

One other factor that should be considered for some equipment is thermal cycling. If you turn it on and off, it will heat up and cool down. This can produce additional stress for some components.

These are not DRO specific factors. They apply to electronic equipment in general and often to digital equipment more specifically. It is an open question as to which is the better strategy. I have seen electronic and computer professionals who advised everyone to turn their equipment off every night and others who advised that they be left on because "most failures occur when it was turned on". Personally I have always turned things off when they were not in use. This has around 50 years of experience behind it but no real scientific data that I am aware of.

A side story: the old tube type equipment had higher Voltages (125 to 500 Volts or even more). It also had power supplies with electrolytic capacitors and they also aged and failed. But the failures could be much more spectacular with the higher energies that were available in them. I once had an electrolytic capacitor in a 450 Volt tube type power supply erupt like a volcano ... MY FACE WAS INCHES AWAY. I would have had severe eye damage, possibly even been blinded if it were not for a steel rail that was in front of my eyes. The debris hit me above and below them. I was quite shook up. It was probably around 20 years old and this happened when it was turned on after a period of storage.

Like you, I used to work on digital equipment (large computers). To me the best strategies are "leave them on" and "turn them off and on often." Long periods of disuse are worse than either.

Power spikes can be eaten by MOVs. I have two, the size of small bricks, that protect my entire house, within which there is not a separate surge suppressor to be found these days. (Surge suppressors use MOVs.) We have had many fewer failures in electronic devices since they were installed a decade or so ago.

Larger MOVs are available that are suitable for shop use. They exist to eat spikes. Every spike degrades them a little bit. Eventually, they short and blow the breaker. How long "eventually" might be depends on how many spikes they eat. Our power is not particularly clean, so I'm actually surprised ours have gone this long, but I'm not complaining.

Oh, and they're not terribly expensive, either.

Older DRO's using glass scales used incandescent lamps for the read heads Think most have gone to led's on current equipment...the.bulbs have a distinct life span....
When the DRO is on even if its got a screen "sleep" mode the lamps are on.....
Cheers Ross

I have a 2 axis Mitutoyo KA DRO on my mill and a 2 axis SINO DRO on my lathe. I shut them off when not in use. I leave the unit switches on and plug them into plug molds and use the switches on the plug molds to turn them on and off.

I do this because I'm in a rural area with a semi-reliable utility company. There are occasional power outages and, although it hasn't happened yet, sometime I'll probably get a surge.

I just leave them off and have had no trouble in close to ten years. Works for me.

I have a AcuRite with LCD display that just recently went black.
I've had it left on for four years without turning off, (although it blanks out by itself, the backlight is always on somewhat). I ended up finding a replacement 1.3mm diameter backlight tube to replace the burned out one with.

Back