What's new
What's new

Teflon sheets for aluminum lubrication?

Zip

Aluminum
Looking for lubrication suggestions to allow two small flats of aluminun bolted together with pivots that would allow them to slid back and forth with some pivot point tension. I was thinking of teflon sheeting? The movement back and forth would be under 1/4" and would like to keep the sheeting as thin and durable as possible.

Thanks

Aluminum has rather aggressive surface chemistry and loves to shed particles and oxides when abraded. Even Teflon will allow this to occur, so if you have to design the joint and materials as described look for an Al-specific intermediary. Igus offers some sheet materials that will act as acceptable bearings with aluminum, contact an applications engineer there for advice.

- Choosing the Right Bearing Shaft Material

What about Turcite. I have a roll of .030" that I use from time to time. Really good stuff.

"Turcite® is an internally lubricated, acetal-based material (with properties similar to those of Delrin AF) designed for applications with demanding wear."

Turcite(R): Aetna Plastics

The problems I encounter using Teflon (PTFE) is holding it in place.

I use PTFE with adhesive dispensed on a roll. The adhesive allows placement for final "adjustment". But when shear forces appear the PTFE breaks clear of the adhesive.

So the question for you is how do you expect to hold it in place?

If thickness of the material allows, you could bore a hole and use a PTFE pin backed up with a set screw to maintain pressure .

Thanks guys...holding it down is not a problem...the bottom screw holes are stationary, the top holes are elongated slightly to allow for approx 1/16” travel back and forth. Not a real weight bearing surface but would like it to remain relatively snug. The hold down screws once adjusted for tension will have set screws to lock them in.

Back