What's new
What's new

do you use wax while hardturning?

fettersp

Aluminum
I need to hard turn some parts made of m4 triple tempered to 60 rc.
in the notes of the program it says to use wax? I have never used wax while hard turning, just the coolant?

We do lots of hard turning, and I've never heard of using wax. Usually only removing a few thousandths after heat treat with ceramic or CBN so we don't use coolant either.

Over thirty years ago, I got some free samples of Tapmatic Edge Lube. It is a stick of hard white wax in a plastic tube. I tried it and liked it because it helped with surface finish and was not as messy as oil. I hold the stick against a rotating end mill or drill bit. The white wax will stick to the tool. When the tool gets hot, the wax melts and flows like oil until it cools down and solidifies. I seldom use it for turning, hard or not. I bought a big stick and then another big stick that I am still using, years later. I see Tapmatic is now part of LPS. And Amazon has a good price at present.

https://www.amazon.com/LPS-43200-Ta...Tapmatic-Cutting-Fluids&qid=1604437608&sr=8-2

Larry

hard turning = hard melting. no idea how any lube will survive to make any difference before turning into smoke.

hard turning = hard melting. no idea how any lube will survive to make any difference before turning into smoke.
This makes sense to a point, yet somehow it works.
Why?
Why is the cutting edge tip of a cutting tool not the hottest area.
Logic would say that the shear area where we tear things apart the high temp to the cutting tool but that not true.
It is confusing and for sure your thinking seems very sensible so not trying to step on you in any way.
As they say the proof in the pudding and in cases it works like magic. The why is a rabbit hole.
After the cut chip sliding friction across the face? The how and whys here.
Tool rad, shape of chip. I wish and dream this easy.

This a previous program and someone decided to make this note for some reason.
I do not make such notes in a program unless something but it could just be a wax lube lover.
Bob

Why is the cutting edge tip of a cutting tool not the hottest area.Logic would say that the shear area where we tear things apart the high temp to the cutting tool but that not true.
After the cut chip sliding friction across the face? The how and whys here.
Tool rad, shape of chip. I wish and dream this easy.

LOL! Sometimes.. it really IS "that easy"?

Why.. do some Oldsters lay a salvaged 3/4" to 1 1/4" HSS/Cobalt tool blank directly across the top of the compound, shim-up, fasten it with clamps off the mill on a lathe where one might expect 5/16" and a tad blanks?

Heat.... travels better and faster if it has a seriously wide and deep highway .. instead of a narrow choke-point. Go figure.

Out of beef tallow. Just ordered a stick of the LPS.. from Zoro.

Not from too-dang-rich-for-his-own-good-already-Jeff-Bezo's-amazon-jungle-warfare.

:D

Back