What's new
What's new

DoAll band saw questions

garcher

Aluminum
Hi everyone, i just purchased a DoAll 2013-20 Serial # 377-80563. Saw has been collecting dust for 10 yrs.2 HP DC motor.Line voltage is 460v 3 phase.I switched jumper wires for 230v as i have a 10hp rotary phase converter. I connected power, but when start button is pushed air pump will run but not dc motor and contacts will not stay closed without holding start button.There is a circut board in the panal with a small red light that will not come on.I am not familiar with these saws.any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn

I may well be wrong, but I think the only method for running a DC motor on AC is with a single-phase supply. And I'm not certain if this even works very well.

Thanks John for the reply,I will try that and do some further checking.Mine is identical to the one shown. Are these good saws?

Thanks
Glenn

Anyone with DoALL saw expertise they would like to share? Are they top of the line saws?Are parts readily available.Where can I find an electrical schematic?

Thanks
Glenn

If it were me I would investigate what it would require to but a single phase AC motor in it. At least a 3ph AC motor.

DoAll saws are top line saws. The DC drive most likely doesn't like the RPC. Three phase DC power supplies are generally robust, that said, have the drive checked if practical. Checked could be as simple as power up the saw on true 480 three phase. DoAll has very good support and documentation for most of their machines, not cheap however.

Steve

Hi everyone, i just purchased a DoAll 2013-20 Serial # 377-80563. Saw has been collecting dust for 10 yrs.2 HP DC motor.Line voltage is 460v 3 phase.I switched jumper wires for 230v as i have a 10hp rotary phase converter. I connected power, but when start button is pushed air pump will run but not dc motor and contacts will not stay closed without holding start button.There is a circut board in the panal with a small red light that will not come on.I am not familiar with these saws.any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn

I would assume the starter has a 460v coil and won't stay closed. Probably also has 460v heaters (or proper sized overload relay). Dropping from 460 to 230 would double the amp draw. DoAll saws are awesome. Last I checked DoAll supplied all manuals online you just need to find the page with the search function. DoAll has been making saws for over 70 years so there have been more than a few models and revisions over the years.

Last edited:
My first guess would be that you have the wild leg hooked up to your control electronics. My Nardini lathe wouldn't run for anything until I figured out which was the leg generated by my RPC and connected the other two to run the motor controls.

metalmagpie

Update on bandsaw. Today I did some checking and came up with the following. This saw uses 3 phase power for the air pump only.Blade welder is 240v single phase.I blew out dust on circuit board and cleaned contact surface of 2 small fuses.I can manually push motor contacts and saw will run but I don't think motor is running full speed.Contacts also have a moderate humm.Could it be dirty main contacts and bad auxiliary contacts?Also I swapped incoming line wires as I had wild leg on control circuit. Thanks to all the input from the professionals here am now making progress.

Thanks
Glenn

Great machine. Once again I was taught how to set up and saw accurately by the "old heads".We had to saw file to within .010 to .015 from a scribed line.We were not given many end mills so we milled off minimal amounts of steel.Thank you "old heads"you taught me well.We used copper sulfate for the lay out medium and a Vernier layout gage.

Update on bandsaw. Talked to an electrician friend at work and and he told me to bypass 480/240 transformer.Since I was feeding it with a 240V RPC the transformer was reducing it to 120V. Contactor has a 240V coil.Saw runs perfect . Thanks for all the replies and help. I will post pics when I get it cleaned
up .

Thanks again
Glenn

Back