What's new
What's new

DoAll bandsaw model number - what does it tell me?

metalmagpie

Titanium
I am thinking about a DoAll 1612-U. I realize it's a 16" bandsaw. What other information is encoded in the model number?

metalmagpie

I am thinking about a DoAll 1612-U. I realize it's a 16" bandsaw. What other information is encoded in the model number?

metalmagpie

The 1612 refers to throat depth and vertical height. Throat meaning blade to frame dimension and height meaning max height of work possible. On 2 wheel saws throat is effectively the diameter of the wheels. Throat dimensions greater than wheel diameter require a third wheel. The - "U" refers to the specific configuration and that along with the serial number specifies the correct replacement part when ordering.

Don’t buy that one. I’m not an expert but the -U is some stripped down saw for meat cutting or something, I don’t know. The top of the line would be the 1612-3. The -3 will have the hydraulic table and the transmission. -1 does not have hydraulics, may have the transmission not sure. I think they made a -2 option also don’t know. Hold out for a 1612-3 it won’t cost much more if any and will by 3X the saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

metalmagpie

Here's a link to a manual......

https://www.doallsaws.com/manuals/1612-U 146-59101 to 149-682367 Parts Manual.pdf

The first two numbers after the dash in the serial number are the year it was made, that model started production in 59' and went thru 68', brought back later in a different configuration.
Not a bad saw, it is just a little lighter that some of the other DoAll saws, parts are pricey, just make sure there are no issues unless your getting it cheap!

Post some pic's if you get it?

Don’t buy that one. I’m not an expert but the -U is some stripped down saw for meat cutting or something, I don’t know. The top of the line would be the 1612-3. The -3 will have the hydraulic table and the transmission. -1 does not have hydraulics, may have the transmission not sure. I think they made a -2 option also don’t know. Hold out for a 1612-3 it won’t cost much more if any and will by 3X the saw.

It is a metal cutting saw with a two speed transmission, just a light duty version compared to the other Doall 16" models.

Kevin

Apparently the -U designator means "Utility". This machine's serial number includes -61 so I believe the saw was made in 1961. It has a blade welder and may have part or all of the weight power feed accessory. It does have the little wheel below the speed adjust wheel, which I believe changes the force on the power feed. The pics I have access to do not show the front where a pedal would be. There is some kind of mount bolted to the table which looks like it could be part of the powerfeed.

The saw has a 2 speed gearbox and Reeves drive.

The price is OK, medium 3 digit number.

I already have a Rockwell Delta 20" saw model 20-365. Same 2-speed gearbox and Reeves VS drive.

This saw is on the other side of the state.

16" DoAll verticals don't show up very often where I live.

metalmagpie

Apparently the -U designator means "Utility". This machine's serial number includes -61 so I believe the saw was made in 1961. It has a blade welder and may have part or all of the weight power feed accessory. It does have the little wheel below the speed adjust wheel, which I believe changes the force on the power feed. The pics I have access to do not show the front where a pedal would be. There is some kind of mount bolted to the table which looks like it could be part of the powerfeed.

The saw has a 2 speed gearbox and Reeves drive.

The price is OK, medium 3 digit number.

I already have a Rockwell Delta 20" saw model 20-365. Same 2-speed gearbox and Reeves VS drive.

This saw is on the other side of the state.

16" DoAll verticals don't show up very often where I live.

metalmagpie

These saws are a bit scarce everywhere, but these models have been made for many, many years in multiple configurations. Yes, spare parts from DoAll are expensive. Unfortunately, many of the parts for these are no longer available. These saws are also very durable and will withstand a very high amount of abuse. I have just completed a complete restoration of a military model of a 1612. It has been a 5 month effort, but it now looks and functions like a new saw. There is a parallel thread that I started on the external power feed parts. If you have an interest, it is worth a read. I have to personally thank John Oder for his very valuable contributions.

I received from Scott Olson of DoAll yesterday that these feed parts are no longer available. Scott has been very kind and often, when parts are no longer available he has often given me a copy of the drawing of the part so I could reproduce it.

Take a look on ebay. There is a 1612-U and 1612-3. Compare the two and you will see there is no comparison. The -U is a lighter frame, a different shape, no tach, etc. It may be an OK saw but it’s not in the same category as the other DoAll products.

All Doall's are meat cutting saws if you don't watch what you're doing...

I have (I think) a 1612-3 and it does not have a hydraulic table. It does have the three speed gearbox.

I have a model 16-SFP. Serial # says 1957. Came with welder, tilt table, miter attachment but no weight feed. Any one know what the SFP denotes? Saw was neglected when I got it but refurbished, repaired and re-motored to 2HP it's been a good medium duty machine..........Bob

Does anyone out there have a old DoAll V16 band saw that’s no longer working, and you’re willing to part out? Serial # 1651781 We need the trunnion for the table, part # 34-03102 according to the manual. This is the casting that lets the table tilt/pivot, is got 2 pivot pins and stud to attach it to table. Have pictures of part and page out of manual C-3-4 if needed. Saw fell over during move to new location and the trunnion broke! Have been in touch with DoAll and it’s obsolete. They couldn’t even supply us with engineering drawing. So looking for used, or New Old Stock if available. Feel free to reach me at [email protected]

Back