What's new
What's new

Doall grinding attachment - grease or oil?

leeko

Stainless
Hi everyone,
I'm cleaning up an old doall cylindrical grinding attachment, and have a question about lubrication. When I took it apart, there was no grease in the bearings. So, I assumed it should be oiled, but there are no oilers or other provision for oil. Is it reasonable to pack this type of bearing with some grease?

Thanks,

Lee
c82fd35380a8d0a66886b50755be1510.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I don't have the answer for you, but I do have a question. Is it possible the bearing is designed to run dry so not to collect grinding dust if grease were added? How fast does it turn? How well is it sealed?

Just a thought,
Ted

Thanks for the suggestion Ted. I hadn't heard of a bearing designed to run dry. There are felt seals on either end of the spindle.

I've got it packed up with grease and reassembled. Hopefully it'll run nicely

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Grease or oil should do just fine. Now that you know how to take it apart you can clean it occasionally,

You can make a slip-on shield washer to go over the end to help keep grinding grit away from the end and use it when it would not be in the way. A disk if nylon perhaps from a plastic milk bottle is one source of material foe this, just cutting by hand and finish fit with a Dremel hand grinder. Have seen guys put a strip of felt around with aluminum tape to avoid the felt burning up to shield for a longer run job. I keep some slips of sheet metal to make a quick slip in or clamp someplace to shied me or stuff from shooting sparks.

Back