What's new
What's new

Doall v-16 weight

oliverdude

Hot Rolled
Does anyone know an exact weight for a Doall V-16 Countour Machine bandsaw? I found a manual, but it didn't mention the weight.

Thanks

It's a 1942. I think the correct model is V-16, but not 100% sure. I seem to remember it saying Contour Machine on it too.

If it is from '42 it is a HEAVY sob. There was nothing on that saw less than 1/8" thick, even the doors over the wheels. On mine the plate on the floor that the whole thing is built on is about 36" x 36" and 3/4" thick!

Model is a 1612. 16" saw with 12" depth of cut. Not sure exactly where the vs is placed. If it has a welder or contour kit onboard that probably adds some letters/numbers to the model name.
Bil lD

I can tell you that it is way bottom heavy and gives a Dodge 2500 PU no problems whatever...........Bob

How new was the one you hauled in your truck? I know the new ones are much lighter especially up high. I contract at a place that has a 16" from 1990 or so and it is amazing how much lighter it is than my 1956. When I bought mine I hauled it upright in the bed of a 2500 truck from Lancaster Pa. to Ewing Nj. and it was a harrowing experience. That truck felt like it was going to roll over at every turn. The next time I moved it I took the table off and laid it down with suitable wood blocking. I used the same truck to haul it from Nj. to Marysville Ohio on the Pennsylvania turnpike through what passes for mountains out east with absolutely no trouble at all. Unloading was another matter though. We loaded it with a fork lift and it was easy, not so much getting it off. I backed into my garage and put 2 4x4s through the roof trusses and a 1 ton chain fall to the lifting ring. I used a 1200lb capacity engine hoist on the bottom and was just barely able to lift it enough to drive the truck out and lower the engine hoist to stand the saw up all the while the wood holding the chain fall was creaking and sounding like it was about to snap.

Back