Doctor prescribes machining to treat anxiety / stress. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting thread.

But what to do when you like engineering but can't get your head round to doing it???

Up until maybe 18 months ago, I was spending every last minute available out in my home-shop building a large-scale steam traction engine, this would be the third such engine built by myself. I would come home from the day job (print manager), go out in the shop for an hour, then have tea and watch tv etc, (kids have all moved out now)

Weekends would be a quick dash round the shops for the weekly food with the Mrs, then back out in the shop. However, things started to ease off, and I was spending less time out there, getting less done, always seemed to be other stuff going on - visiting the children/grandchildren, I also arranged a house sale for my parents and got them into rented accommodation as a downsizing move, my father also passed away in November which really threw me a curve-ball, then I got Mum moved into a park-home which was better than the rented place. So it's been a hectic time really, but I think my problems started way before that.

I have seen a doctor as I wasn't sleeping and generally felt crap, he diagnosed mild depression and gave me some pills(Amitryptilene) which did help a bit with the sleeping and I also tried cutting out caffeine too. Basically I just can't find the effort to go out and start building again. Also I'm not sure if having the part-built engine is now causing me more issues as I tend to feel guilty for not going and doing it as well as having a very sizeable amount of money tied up in a workshop that's practically doing nothing 7 days a week.

Somewhere around 18 months to two years ago, I changed from being a non-stop, got-to-be-doing-something type of person to one that spends spare time watching Tv etc. I'm 50 years old and just find making decisions and doing stuff for myself is getting very difficult.

Anyway, apologies for the life story, just wondering if anyone had similar issues - all the gear and no effort or will???????

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Machine one of these, then the stress goes away with a bang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIqF7uljtQU

have fun and good luck
    i_r_machinist

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marty, I think he needed the psycologist, just to help him define his difficulty and help him solve it.

This is one psycologist I'd follow, if needed. Just my opinion. We may not need this help, if we could just follow our heart. In this case, the psycologist may have given validation for Silas to follow HIS heart. When you're in the forest it can be difficult to find your way out.

In any event it seems to be a good outcome.

Regards,

Stan-

4. Likes paul39 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dave, your age and up into our senior years out testosterone levels start decreasing Dave. That is what has happened to me after a bout with Prostate CA my testosterone plummeted. The Doc's think it's part of the bodies reaction to the CA plus its a normal occurrence in our age group for reasons I won't go into here. The effects are exactly what you are describing.

I've had to force myself literally to do some form of daily exercise. I started with racquetball but found it hard to fine partners. Having been heavy into martial arts I found a decent club club to go in a different style, so it was like starting over, but I could go everyday accept Mondays if I chose. I "must go" 3 times a week. That is the standard I set for myself. Believe me, it was really, really hard to go at first. But now it's getting better and I think I feel a lot better mentally. and physically. For me and a lot of us we can't take "T" supplements because of the CA risk so the alternative is physical lifestyle changes.
    Last edited by scadvice; 06-25-2014 at 07:22 PM.

6. Likes Dave K2, El Mustachio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thru my spiritual believe I have learn to control my anger big time but I understand that's a personal choice. I do appreciate the op and some of you guys for cheering your experience I will do my best not to be the grumpy guy.

One more thing that work for me is weight lifting every time my boss make me lose my religion the heavier I lift so in my case is hard to get away from steel

8. Likes gusmadison, El Mustachio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post
    A huge number of people who fly off the handle and take everything personally have severe unknown sleep issues. Aka , sleep apnea.
    Or even just not getting enough sleep. There's people who pride themselves on how little sleep they can get by on. Many of them are whistling past the graveyard, literally. Lack of good sleep is a significant cause of diabetes, weight gain, and some other diseases, as well as poor mental equanimity.

just sayin.

smt

I'd prefer not to sleep my life away. You can do that when you're dead and probably fit a lot more living into a shoter time as well. Just sayin'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first post on this forum

Wow, I'm not alone. I'm 57 and stressed like no tomorrow. I never felt any sort of pressure as a youngster learning the Tool and Die trade, I was thrilled to go into work every day, had interesting work and had a great bunch of guys I worked with. I couldn't leave well enough alone and started going to night skool to be an Engineer and that's when it started to hit me, I no longer was making things I had to be a director of things. I now work part time at a State Tech Community College and it seems like a rudderless ship here. I have rooms with lathes and Bridgeports but no cutting tools. Blasting cabinets but no media, benchtop CNC but don't have permissions to access the software or anyone here (Summer the instructors beat feet outta here) who really knows how anything operates so I fumble around, increasing my anxiety levels so much that my doc put me on meds. I can't wait for something to make, I have machines in my gay-raj but after a day of trying to look busy I don't have the energy to go out there and tinker.

Anyhow, thanks for having me and starting a thread to stop me from just lurking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Running machine tools is very therapeutic. I had a serious head injury pretty much exactly when I started my little shop. I was a horror show of anxiety among other things. In my case, I had to be double-damn careful that my impairments didn't lead to a safety lapse, and I had to write a lot of notes on drawings (stuff I normally would have just done in my head), and I had to limit my hours or else the fatigue became it's own thing. BUT, without a doubt, the process of thinking several steps ahead, being organized in workflow, etc, was very calming.

So I think you should take these "doctor's orders" to heart and just make this a new part of your life from now on.

Don't know if you already do this, but allow me a further suggestion. The huge, tangible, life-saving discovery that finally lifted me out of the anxiety and depression of the injury, and now we are talking 18 months after, was to take up a highly aerobic exercise regime. If I'm reading the OP's timeline right, he's in his 40's now, so this is likely beneficial on other levels as well. In my case it was cycling. Road bikes, the skinny-tire "10-speed" type bikes, are an absolute blast; they are a human powered Porsche. If you incorporate a 2-hour ride 3 times a week into your life, OP, you won't believe how good you'll feel. Once you get over the initial discomfort of ramping up physically, of course. It will wash incredible amounts of anxiety right out of your psyche. I promise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by El Mustachio View Post
    Also identified that, at least for me, the act of running a manual machine has a calming effect on me. Somehow I feel free to let my mind go ahead and forget everything else, nothing else exists but the work-piece and the tool in that moment.

Thanks again.

Silas
    I would say the same for off trail (mountain) sledding. If stuck [riding] on the trails - your mind can wonder back to other stuff, but not when offtrail - and reading the terrain and finding your line. Whether your line is of least or most resistance dooable would be up to you, but when riding like this - I don't think of much else.

Get stuck? What could be better? Stuck on the side of a hill out in the bush. Sometimes just sit there and absorb it all in. (while trying to suck air @ 12K') Get some winter Vitamin D while there too.

However - not as cheap nor as profitable as going out and running an engine lathe, but your not too far from Sierra Cement eh?

YMMV.

--------------------

Cyrus maybe?
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 06-25-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Ox;2321538]I would say the same for off trail (mountain) sledding. If stuck on the trails - your mind can wonder back to other stuff, but not when reading the terrain and finding your line. Whether your line is of least or most resistance dooable would be up to you, but when riding like this - I don't think of much else.

Get stuck? What could be better? Stuck on the side of a hill out in the bush. Sometimes just sit there and absorb it all in. (while trying to suck air @ 12K') Get some winter Vitamin D while there too.

However - not as cheap nor as profitable as going out and running an engine lathe, but your not too far from Sierra Cement eh?
    /QUOTE]

Ahhhh...love the Sierra Cement six months (give or take) til ski season... Maybe I'll head up to the summer ski camp Mount Hood in late August to get a weeks fix. Ski all morning then fly fish in the afternoon. Can't afford to go to Chile or one of those places.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow, I knew some of you would probably relate, but the responses so far have really surprised me. Thanks guys (and gals if I missed any). Your replies have really meant a lot.

I totally agree with the exercise too. I just can't seem to make it a habit. Going to try again, I'm keeping a bicycle at the shop. Once the shop is up and going each morning I should have enough time to go for a brisk ride and back before we officially open to customers. Done it before, I know it helps, making it a habit is the hurdle.

You all are great, keep making chips!

Quote Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post

BYW, you might try Jesus too...
    Amen to that brother. I dropped the ball on giving credit where it belongs. Without Jesus in my life giving me each day "my daily bread", I would have been crushed a long time ago. Following him does not an easy life guarantee, but He faithfully gives me a strength that is not my own.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You should first think about preventing depression and anxiety and to overcome them. You should take more time for relaxing, for enjoying life, this will help to prevent all mental disorders. But when they already took control of your mind, medication is the only way out. And it's hard to find medication for the brain because there is a lot of crap.Your doctor probably was joking when prescribed to machining. If I could suggest something, then it's etizolam vendor. My mother and my grandmother took it as they were often affected by mental disorders, mainly caused by stress.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlining View Post
    You should first think about preventing depression and anxiety and to overcome them. You should take more time for relaxing, for enjoying life, this will help to prevent all mental disorders. But when they already took control of your mind, medication is the only way out. And it's hard to find medication for the brain because there is a lot of crap.Your doctor probably was joking when prescribed to machining. If I could suggest something, then it's [URL="https://www.eatspamanddie.com[/URL]. My mother and my grandmother took it as they were often affected by mental disorders, mainly caused by stress.
    Take some yourself spammer....like the whole bottle.

17. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Take some yourself spammer....like the whole bottle.
    Follow it up with a quart of JD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Too bad...I thought this thread was actually active again.

I too have been prescribed similar activities for my anxiety/depression.

My shrink believed it would help me get out of my own head, while utilizing the creative side of my brain. She's right.

I still have to move my machine shop...it's been three years, but very little beats a good day in the shop. You are productive, you are centered, you have no one to blame but yourself when you screw up.

Don't get me wrong...she's been trying to get me to take up physical exercise for years...and I should probably listen...but the intellectual exercise of precision handiwork is a close second I guess.

21. Likes Graham Gott liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Break a few 6-32 traps off in an almost completed job and see how your blood pressure reacts. I really should clean the shop and move the heavy stuff around for a good workout.
    Bill D

23. Likes Ox, yardbird liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The shrink prolly meant brass...

------------------

Gotta make sumpthin of your life boy, give me one more vein
    Ox

25. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm a strong advocate of regular vigorous exercise, and making sleep a top priority. These two things have a dramatic affect on both physical and mental well being.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I too was tired of my high stress, high pay job. I sent my wife to school and she got a job with good benefits that covered me too. Jan 3, 1994 I quit my job and went out on my own. My goal was to do what I enjoy, not make as much money as I can.I try to average 4 hours of work a day. During the summer my grandchildren stay with me 2-4 days a week. I do many different things to help my children out, I am always available for them. One day I will be in the emergency room and the doctor will tell me that I have 10 minutes to live. I am sure my response will be, "I wish I would have worked more hours."

28. Likes Lt. Swarf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, we should all git our wives to carry us while we drink coffee at the rest .... uh ... the coffee shop up town?

Is that the moral to your story?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox