Doctor prescribes machining to treat anxiety / stress. - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    So, we should all git our wives to carry us while we drink coffee at the rest .... uh ... the coffee shop up town?

Is that the moral to your story?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    My wife was a stay at home mom. When the kids were in high school it was time for her to get a job. I design and manufacture parts for some of the fastest cars in the world. With various work holding choices I could do fast setups and let the machines run unattended. If you plan your time you can get a lot done in 4 hours. Sit in a coffee shop, that is pretty funny. I just don't take on work that I don't enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Circa 1967 there was theory floated that back pains were a symptom of repressed rage. I can say that I worked for a "scientist" who was most of the time irrational. We were developing a blood analyzer, leading edge stuff, and most of the progress we made was done by ignoring our leader's orders and doing what was needed. One time we were preparing for a show and tell with our prototype unit when we found a glitch. Another fellow and I worked 24 hours straight and the next morning, wearing the same clothes we came to work in the day before, we had the machine working perfectly. We were demonstrating reading serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase, an enzyme that is very useful for diagnosing a coronary occlusion. The reading was perfect. Perfect I don't mean in tolerance, the exact ---ing number. The Veeder Root dial said 0033, which our leader decided was not big enough to impress visitors and told me to multiply it by 10. When I pointed out that we only had a 3:1 multiplier, he said "How could you embarrass me like that" and ran in his office where he stood in a corner and sulked. The other fellow and I went home. The next day he the doctor had a meeting where he told me that I had lead him down the primrose path. I had explained the procedure but of course he didn't understand it. The only reason I didn't walk out right then was that I had already planned my departure on my own terms and time.

Meanwhile, I had screaming back pain. Since getting out of there, I have the normal aches and pains everyone has, but nothing severe.

Personally, I do not find machining relaxing. For me, the best thing is a motorcycle trip. No one expects anything from a biker. If you pay for food, gas and lodging and stand still while they photograph you and the Indian, they are happy. I get everything packed up the night before and only get dressed and ride. The first 50 miles are going to be miserable while you get adapted, so I do them, then stop at a truck stop and get breakfast. It takes a couple of days on the road, but after I get in the zone, Saint Louis is a dim memory that someone may have told me about. The only goal is to make the decided on destination. Riding a bike, you had better not have any other concerns or you will end up splattered on a truck. The Indian in my avatar neck reins perfectly, the Bowden wire throttle stays where I put it, unlike these spring loaded instruments of torture that give my hand cramps, and the foot boards allow me to move my feet around. Life devolves to weather, pavement quality and traffic. Very therapeutic.

Bill

3. Likes Ox, daredo222, cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last year I got back into playing golf. And man, what a hard game it is! But, that's what makes it so damn fun.

When I'm out there with a couple of my buddies, sipping on some cold Coors Light (the un-official beer of golf), my mind never thinks about the shop.

And even when I'm home that evening, I am thinking about the shots I was making on the various holes, and how I can play them better next time.

I also have a large, basement-sized model railroad that I am building, but after several years of almost living in the basement working on it, the therapeutic nature of building it slipped away...it was too much like a job and too much like work.

Now it's golf in the good weather months, and some enjoyable model railroad time in the winter months.

Our brains and minds are funny creatures, funny how they can end up working against us!

ToolCat

5. Likes El Mustachio, gmach10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

UPDATE:

Well since this thread seems to have come back from the dead, maybe it's time for an update.

Long story short (TLDR): Work is still more desk and less chips. I did try a number of things to improve my health and outlook. Some were good and became habits, some were good and haven't made it to habits, and some just didn't work. Below is the list of things that have really helped, sorted by how fast they can help.

1. Tai Ji Quan (habit, helps that it's a scheduled class with others. Looking forward to advancing to Xing Yi Quan and Ba Gua Quan)
    2. Vegetable Diet (fast impact for the better, sorta-kinda a habit)
    3. Weight lifting (super helpful when burning off stress, no gym membership, just adjustable dumbells, a small bench, and a punching bag.)
    4. Cardio (helpful, but not a habit yet. Plantar fasciitis makes running hard, did get a bicycle stand/trainer so I can ride in place on my patio though)
    5. Sleep (certaily helpful, but probably the least easy to modify or control, especially with young kids still at home.)

Thanks again.

Silas

7. Likes cnctoolcat, Ohio Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You say that nothing gets done at your desk while you are at the machine. But I would bet dollars to donuts that you are a lot more efficient and productive when you get back to it after the relaxing time in the shop.

I like that doc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I notice in the last few years a lot of teachers and school administrators who spend a lot of time on their computers have switched to a stand up computer station. They say it helps their back.
    The vice principals who handle high school discipline seem to last around five years before they burnout and have to move to a different job.
    Bill D

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by El Mustachio View Post
    So, my shrink says spend more time at the lathe or mill, preferably 1-2 hrs a day.
    I knew a shrink from a woodworkers club. He became manager of a handful of shrinks at some hospital. He told me in all the years he was in the trade that he thought he only helped one person in a marriage. All he could do is listen to another person removing baggage from their brain. The only people that benefit are the ones that realize their situation/error/predicament/whatever and go about dealing with it.

If some shrink suggested that machining stuff is going to make me whole then I would look at their hands. If it looks like he/she just got groomed from a manicure session then I would question the advice. Why? They don't know anything about the trade.

11. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Toolcat, I started playing golf more seriously than before. I've been playing casually for about 20 years. Last season my playing partner said my clubs looked "too short". I started a thread here about it maybe you read it. Anyway started researching spent the beginning of the year working on my clubs, lengthening them, new, grips, watching youtube videos and so on. Even started stretching and exercising, even did a planking challenge. Gave me something to look forward to. I'm in my late fifties and a friend of mine were talking. We both feel guys our age get into a funk. We spent the 35 years busting are asses getting everyone launched, giving up what we did that identified ourselves, that now looking at retirement we don't know what we like anymore. My Dr. told me exercising can help as good as some meds to relieve stress I'm a believer. I'm learning to let go and not get sucked into drama. What's the old saying "Get busy living or get busy dying".

13. Likes Ox, cnctoolcat liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    The Indian in my avatar neck reins perfectly, the Bowden wire throttle stays where I put it, unlike these spring loaded instruments of torture that give my hand cramps ...
    Sounds like you'd get a kick out of this ... at some point the AMA started requiring throttles with return springs. The idea was to stop throttles hanging open but I'm not sure if it worked for that or not. But anyway, several older riders were not enamored of this.

So at one race Mert is pushing his bike through tech, everything is fine until the inspector twists the throttle, of course it doesn't shut. Before he can say anything Mert starts pushing the bike back to his pit, calling out over his shoulder, "It's okay, vibration will close it."

That's a harley tho, maybe your Indian is smoother

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Im putting this out there in case it helps someone else find a solution to their anxiety/stress.

I had chest pains for 4 days straight last week and went to get checked out. I have a high stress job, but the messed up part is I love it. Heart is fine. Anxiety is the culprit.

Granted it is a temporary fix, I did opt to discuss meds with the dr. I have a reoccurring habbit of getting into a higher position with company and then quitting out of frustration related to not finding a fix for the issues I face. Feeling of not having control of my destiny. Maybe I'm just promoted into being inept per the Peter principle...lol

I am taking the medicine and this is day 6 in a row. I feel great. I am not having the typical daily urges to drink alcohol nor eat food portions that could feed an entire family. I'm even down 5 lbs in these five days. It has been only 6 days though.

I have to find another solution because I don't feel this is a good long term solution.

16. Likes Ox, cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Countryboy to and a little levity to this post. My father had high blood pressure, every time my brother took him to the Doc it would be up. One day my sister had to take him, my brother was busy. Doc tells my Dad "Don whatever you're doing keep it up BP is down." Then we put the puzzle pieces together, my brother was a volunteer fireman. When took my my Dad to the Doc he drove like he was going to a fire, scared the crap out of my Dad and sent his BP way up.
    Find a relief valve or get your affairs in order. Saw a post on Facebook that said something like "Keep work in perspective, your job will be posted before your obituary".

18. Likes converterking liked this post