What's new
What's new

Does a 12" Di-Acro shear need the hold-down?

JeffThompson

Plastic
I found what looks like a great deal on an older Di-Acro 12" shear, but it's missing the entire hold-down assembly. I've seen quite a few like this on eBay so it seems like a common part to go missing.

I realize the shear will work much better with the hold-down, but my question is can I still use it reasonably well without it? I have a job coming up and need to cut some 0.020" aluminum sheet and was hoping I could at least limp along without it for a while.

I found what looks like a great deal on an older Di-Acro 12" shear, but it's missing the entire hold-down assembly. I've seen quite a few like this on eBay so it seems like a common part to go missing.

I realize the shear will work much better with the hold-down, but my question is can I still use it reasonably well without it? I have a job coming up and need to cut some 0.020" aluminum sheet and was hoping I could at least limp along without it for a while.

Jeff,
Mine doesn't have the hold down either and not sure if it'll fit. Been going to call and find out, but never have.

I have had a 24" Di-Acro manual shear for decades. It did not have a hold-down when I bought it. I did a tear-down and paint job and mounted it on a portable bench. My 24" Di-Acro box and pan brake is on a matching bench. I used the shear that way and got by, but I seldom use it. I got a hold-down on eBay and then found it would not fit because the blade was a nonstandard height. So, I used the shear without a hold-down for around twenty years. A few years ago, I decided to spend the money for a new (correct) blade from Di-Acro. That let the hold-down work, so I installed it and I suppose the shear is a little better to use now. Anyway, the next owner will get a really nice shear.

Larry

On the 24" diacro I'm not absolutely conviced that the hold down is an enhansement when shearing material that is appropriate to the tool.
If you are working close to max capacity the hold down might be useful.

Is the Di-Acro way different in design? I use a Tennsmith 48" shear and when the hold-down is out of adjustment or sticky its hard to get precise cuts because the material shifts during the cut. That's with copper and SS.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like, unless I'm pushing the max capacity of the shear, I should be alright without the hold-down.

Back