What's new
What's new

Does anyone have paperwork for "Taper Mike" taper micrometer?

MichaelP

Titanium
I just bough the micrometer, but it came with no instructions. I'll be glad to reimburse you for the troubles.

Thank you.

Mike

Attachments

• Taper Mike.jpg
    Taper Mike.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,543
I have several of them, inside and outside, and can provide pictures and instructions. I can email instructions, but don't know how to post them here.

Larry

Inside No2 1.jpgTaper Mike 1 1.jpg

Looks like a sine bar with a micrometer head for setting/reading it. If you have the distance between the two cylinders you can easily calculate the angle being measured. This distance may be difficult to measure on the instrument, but it is very likely a whole number, like one or two inches.

You can zero it by moving the fixed flat against the sine bar.

It should read the included angle so you will need to divide by two to get the more commonly used taper angle.

This gives me an idea for a project.

Larry,

I just sent you an e-mail.
Thank you so much for your kind offer.

If you want, after I receive them, I can post images here. I'm sure other guys will be happy to have the instructions available.

Mike

TaperMike.jpg

I hope this is readable. I think Larry sent this to me long ago. There doesn't seem to be a way to upload pdf or xls files here.

If you right click on the image in firefox you can choose 'view image'. Then you can use control +/- to zoom it to readable size,

These were made in at least 4 sizes,I have the smallest,will do Morse 4 but doesn't open far enough to do #5. Would like to have the next size up and the internal one. My machine tool dealer friend has what I call size 3 and 4,great for doing large boat prop shafts!! The original box lid has the mic readings for the various taper sizes etc.

Thanks Mud. Am I assuming correctly that the same table is valid for either model of external Taper Mike?

What is the easiest (handiest) way to measure tapers shorter than the anvil / sine bar?

Thanks Mud. Am I assuming correctly that the same table is valid for either model of external Taper Mike?
Check the distance between the pivot and cylinder of the movable anvil, I have one that is 1" and one that is 2", I believe the chart is for 1" distance.

What is the easiest (handiest) way to measure tapers shorter than the anvil / sine bar?
I'd use a parallel between the taper and the anvil, you'll probably need 3 hands :)

These were made in at least 4 sizes,I have the smallest,will do Morse 4 but doesn't open far enough to do #5. Would like to have the next size up and the internal one. My machine tool dealer friend has what I call size 3 and 4,great for doing large boat prop shafts!! The original box lid has the mic readings for the various taper sizes etc.

John - are these what you call the 3 and 4? One does 4" to 6", the other is 10" to 13" (approximately)

If anyone here needs the big one, I'll trade it for an internal model. You can shim it with 123 blocks for smaller parts.

20170617_171152.jpg20170617_171204.jpg20170617_171320.jpg20170617_171332.jpg

John - are these what you call the 3 and 4? One does 4" to 6", the other is 10" to 13" (approximately)

If anyone here needs the big one, I'll trade it for an internal model. You can shim it with 123 blocks for smaller parts.

View attachment 201403View attachment 201404View attachment 201405View attachment 201406

Yep those are what I call #3&4. Way to big for anything I do.The size "2" I would sure like to add to my tool collection. And Larry ruined my day one time when he told of the inside type!

Check the distance between the pivot and cylinder of the movable anvil, I have one that is 1" and one that is 2", I believe the chart is for 1" distance.
I see. I didn't know they existed in different sine bar lengths. Will need to do some calculations to confirm what bar length the table is for.

Well i thought they were quite nice and have been looking a while ago, they are not common to find..

The original shop that made them is still there although it looks like it shut up shop a long time ago.

However someone with a full set of them may like to get a few sets made from another reputable maker there may be some takers for quality made items.

Get back to me a bit later if thats the case, just floating the idea at the moment.

I see. I didn't know they existed in different sine bar lengths. Will need to do some calculations to confirm what bar length the table is for.
My outside TaperMikes all have 1" sine bars. The tables I created are copied from the instructions that came with the outside mikes, so they are for 1" sine bars. If you look at the inside TaperMike picture I posted, you will see it has a longer (2") sine bar. And the picture of the outside TaperMike I posted has the original instructions on the aluminum plate inside the box lid.

I emailed all of my pictures and files to Michael several days ago, but he has not said if he got them.

Larry

I printed and photographed three instruction sheets. I typed the charts in MS Excel, copied from the box lid chart. The letter size is most readable. The box lid size can be stuck to the inside of the box lid. The Ralmikes sheet came with one of my TaperMikes.

I can email the Excel files on request. They are easier to size and print than the pictures.

Larry

How to Adjust Taper Mike 2.jpgTaper Micrometer Chart box lid size 2.jpgTaper Micrometer Chart letter size 2.jpg

Thanks Larry.

No, I didn't receive any mail from you. I'm afraid there is something wrong with Hotmail: you're the second person during the last week who claims sending me e-mail I never received.

If you don't mind, I'll PM you my other e-mail address. Being an old school, I always reply with a "thank you" after I receive this kind of e-mails. If you see no reply, you can safely assume I didn't receive your mail. :)

Thank you again. I really appreciate your efforts to help.

Mike

Larry, you'll be surprised, but I didn't receive anything on either of my addresses, Hotmail and Yahoo. :(
And it looks like they work fine today because I've got quite a few messages from other people including the person I mentioned above. And I check directly on the servers. Mystery... :(

Back